Can't tell if plants are ready to be harvested are they ready

New to growing I’m trying to decide if I should take these plants down if they are ready my eyesight is not that good so please check pictures let me know thank you

2 Likes

You have a long way to go: flower when mature looks like this.

10 Likes

DoI have a long way to go aswell :thinking: :person_facepalming:t2: relatively new to growing

2 Likes

Yes as long as the pistils are white you have at least
2 weeks to go, probably more. @Thebull , I agree with @Myfriendis410 you have weeks to go.

2 Likes

From pics provided on both posts, minimum 4 weeks.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community, don’t know your location but I see plants are outside you’re probably going to be holding on till the 1st frost.
Good luck :v:

1 Like

The white or yellow girly hairs, called stigmas, should all be pretty much dead and brown or reddish. Normally by the time the bud is ready to harvest, there should be no more new stigmas and maybe just a couple still viable on the bud. At this time you should be looking more closely at the trichomes with magnification… that is if you want to catch glandular ripeness at a certain stage. For the most part, if the buds are no longer producing new stigmas, she’s pretty much ripe enough to chop. The main reason for this, is so long as the bud is producing stigmas, it is also still putting on mass. It isnt the stigmas we want but the pods where potential seed would have been made had the plant been successfully pollenated. Its these empty pods that are covered with the most trichomes and thats ultimately what we are aiming for.

If you zoom into the upper bud a little, you can see that there are still plenty of viable stigmas on that bud, this means its still able to be pollenated and is still producing more seed pods. Each of those stigmas goes to a pod so the more that pop out, the bigger your buds can get. When they stop popping out if the buds, thats it… no more mass will be produced. Now its about what level of high you want, earlier is generally less dopey, less narcotic… and later is more narcotic and sleep inducing. There does come a point when the buds are too ripe, and the little resin hairs become brittle and the blobs fall off. We dont want that, so if this is your first or second grow my advice is to go by stigma production. To be totally honest, thats all I do now, Ive been growing long enough that I dont really need magnification to tell me the fruit is ripe enough. Have fun… looks amazing and keep growing

7 Likes

I agree. I remember back in the day people used to tell me when “half to three quarters of the hairs are red it’s time to harvest” :joy::rofl: I find there are maybe a handful of white pistils remaining on an entire plant when it’s ready to harvest.

3 Likes

Great advice all around. You will learn much from the people responding to your question. Keep tabs on these users they will lead you to prosperous yields and quality plants. @Thebull

1 Like

More please. I cannot get the gist from that one pic. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Hello Cannabian. You seem like a Pro. How do these Super Skunk look? I need to go read up on Pistils and trichomes…and get my magnifier out.

About 3.5 weeks now after the start of flowers/buds. Couple more weeks…?

1 Like

I’ll add my observations. I think after a few seasons you will realize that a plant doesn’t just go to 100% ready over night. You always have at least a week to make sure you are ready to harvest. Also, you will find that the plant will have different stages of maturity. The top cola will take longer to reach harvest than lower branches.

Even at the bud level, the lower portion will show signs of maturity before the top is done. When you examine the sugar leaves you will see amber trichomes at the tips but the calyx, in the middle of the bud, is where you need to look.

If it’s going to be trimmed off I don’t concern myself with what it looks like.

The trichrome are the fruit. I like them to be harvested before they are fully ripe because they will still develop as you dry. Once trimmed, dry and into the cure the growth has stopped and ideally for me they are milky white with a very few amber.

3 Likes

The bud in the back is rotten, you should remove that.
They are nowhere near done yet. If you still have white stigmas showing up those buds are still growing.

1 Like

High,
The biggest thing I found is PATIENCE. Your white pistols will change colors. You’ll notice much more “stacking” and they will get fatter too. Again PATIENCE is your best practice right now. Get rid of all the yellow leaves to then. Ore energy will go tot the buds. @Cannabian knows what they are doing. Listen attentively they along with many others on here taught me!

Happy growin
Ger

7 Likes

Lookin mighty fine @Gerant

Will do. There ARE some buds in the back corner where the “Stigmas” (?) or Pistils (?) are turning brown. I thought another 1-2 weeks for those. I was looking at the Trichomes and they still look clear. The buds in the front, (pics I sent) do have a while to go.
Thanks for your help.

1 Like

You can harvest buds as they ripen too, you dont have to harvest the whole plant all at once.

Will do. There ARE some buds in the back corner where the “Stigmas”(?) or Pistils (?) are turning brown. I thought another 1-2 weeks for those. I was looking at the Trichomes and they still look clear. The buds in the front, (pics I sent) do have a while to go.
Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

So here is a picture of a Lebanese bud that is getting close. I want you to notice the stigmas… they are the hairs that pollen would stick to. The glands we want are mostly where those stigmas attach. That would be the sack the seed would form in.

I just took that 10 minutes ago
You can see the stigmas are mostly reddish brown, with a few that are still whitish… the bud could use a few more days to max out the resin glands ( trichomes) I am not terribly picky about the trichomes cloudiness or color. This particular strain makes incredibly tasty smoke.
What is true is the buds are no longer producing new white stigmas, this means its pretty much maxed out.
this is a black pheno Afghan… pretty rare. You can see the white stigmas are pretty numerous and more are coming.
The plant has a long way to go yet, easily a month yet. Even still the lovely fall colors are covering this plant.
It will eventually turn almost black.

20220927_175558

5 Likes

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I’ll keep you posted.

1 Like