Can't smell my herb!?

So I have some indoor plants in a spare basement room. My buddy and my kids come over and instantly say " it smells like weed"
Well, I no longer smell it. The real problem is I have been curing about 2lbs. of outdoor bud that was smelling up the whole neighborhood.
And it all smells like hay to me. So gave a couple buddies each an oz. and the one said it reminded him of muai wowy in the can??? My other buddy said it smelled great. All I smell is hay. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Thanks

3 Likes

Yeah honestly could be you, not beIN a S-A but you get used to the smell especially that much lol. I can go in my tent an smell nothing a buddy can walk in my front door an be like daannnggg

2 Likes

not long before I harvested the UPS driver couldn’t quit grining at me when he pulled in our drive. Asked what I was grown in there, I couldn’t smell it also only two plants.

3 Likes

The worst part of it is, I have no first hand knowledge of how good my herb is. At least by smell anyway. Taste is alright nothing remarkable but the high is super mellow.

1 Like

I guess my sense of smell has become desensitized

3 Likes

No seriously, I walk into some peoples homes and it smells like a filthy gym locker room sprayed in cat piss, they cant smell it. And yes that funky cat piss smell is danky weed. Its why I dont flower dope in my house.

6 Likes

@UncleCharley I can’t smell my bud when I’m growing it either unless I got my nose right to it. My husband walks in my grow room and says the smell overwhelms him. When I have my bud drying from a harvest our whole house smells of bud! At first it smells like hay but when properly cured it gets its beautiful bud smell.

2 Likes

I’ve got 2 that are closing in on harvest right now… It’s been getting pretty funky at least that what my old lady said. I can’t really tell for real. Maybe it’s the time I spend close to the plants. My neighbor came by one day unexpectedly and said it hit him right in the face at the door. That took me by surprise. Have to figure out a better way going forward…

1 Like

Hello @The_Gade welcome to the forum!!! I have a carbon filter attached to my exhaust fan which vents out a window. This helps huge keep the smell in the room/tent during flower. But not when I harvest, that beautiful stank can’t be hidden!

2 Likes

Hahaha oh this is a great thread.
It’s totally our senses, we get used to it just like cigarette smokers.

You need carbon filters and to exhaust your air outside.
You can also buy carbon filters for your furnace.
The holidays are coming up and I’ll be buying the expensive furnace filters with carbon in them and just ordered a new filter for one of my tents.

I had to pull a plant out of the tent to shove it in a spare closet for its 48hr of darkness before harvest. My girlfriend and me both agreed it was overwhelming, she almost left to her mom’s for the day.
Last night I went to move it and she’s like. Meh it’s okay but let’s not do it again, I’m getting used to it.

Just goes to show you how we build a tolerance to things even smells.

4 Likes

Definatley i have same issue mines in. Bed room no tent well it was …i walk in sometimes i could notice it when new plants going into flower and some times weeks of nothing… But every time a friend comes by there like god daaam im like what? Ththey say that stuff stinks as soon as u open the door …im like great awsome 1 more thing to worry about i can go out side get some lungs full of fresh air stick my nose by my window and oh yea it smells… So im flooding the neughbor hood no doubt but screw it its all gone now and some where else :wink: i gotta feeling im ina good spot now a welding shop … Always pulling watts and heat in the bay is normal… So i can exhaust and pull watts without an eye brow. …

2 Likes

Just harvested one this morning it had no smell, so I got it all cut and trimmed up. Then I went to the store when I walked back in the smell was overwhelming so you may just get used to it.

4 Likes

I used to work for ATT and yes walking into some homes would make my eyes water from cat piss amonia stench. So I can relate to your point of view, thank you. I guess a carbon air scrubber is in order lol!

1 Like

So, how long do you cure? After drying about a week I’m four weeks plus into curing. I’m between 67-70% RH using quart and 1/2 gal mason jars. I burp em about every day an a half or so. When can I expect to vacuum seal these an stash em away? ( These were my first grow and outdoors so I have a lot) The clones are indoor gals and ready to to havest in about a week or so, they are the ones causing my loss of sensitivity. Thanks for the reply.

Sorry to jump on this thread, but while we’re on the subject of smell. I’ve been curing my first grow for 1 month now and it still has that hay smell. The RH is around 65-70%. I might have harvested early because I saw an extremely shriveled up leaf on my bud that I thought might have been bud rot. Trichomes were going into cloudy so I know for sure I harvested early. I know that smell is from the chlorophyll, but I feel like it should have dissipated a bit. Smells like it’s just been cut down. Dried it for 7 days before curing. The high is great just miss that sweet sweet smell of dankness. I know I should probably wait longer, but has anyone else experienced this?

New here so any pointers on threadiquette is appreciated.

I should also probably add that I was opening the jars once a day for the first 2 weeks for a couple minutes. Now I’m popping them open once every other day for a couple minutes. Maybe I should be popping them open more?

@UncleCharley I cure for a solid 3 months at least. Ill smoke bowls off my harvest as it cures just to see how its doing. Some cure faster than others so I like to taste test. Some growers don’t and just let it cure! Everyone does it a little different. I have large mason jars, I burp them daily for the first 1.5 months then every couple days for the remaining time. Im paranoid about mold after my buddy gave me a jar last year they ended up with mold, so I over check and move my buds around in the jars every few days. Sorry for the delay in response! Have a great day! Let me know if you need anything else!

@0uts1d3r welcome to the community!!! I would suggest burping daily and for a period of time I normally do anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes in the 1st 3 to 4 weeks. Then like 5 to 15 minutes burping for the rest of the time.

Your “hay” smell might be a mold smell and ur in denial 70% is pretty high cure for 30 days ur supposed to let buds neutrilize with a small hydrometer inside … U gotta do a math problem and ur supposed to drop 15% total moisture to ur disired resting rh (62) for storing .5% of total moisture should be dropped a day for 3+ weeks if you stay to moiste u get mold if you drop below the total moisture of 50% the cure process will hault and u will stay rjiiight there if u drop to below 50 early on you cant rehydrate it has to be constant for proper cure or you will stay where u stand the day it hit to low … Ive had this happen many times im still mastering the cure on intuition im hard headed i dont use bovedas but i dont mind smoking hay flavored weed cuz it still gets u high and it keeps the handout waaaay down keep your jars waaay full

2 Likes

Mine has very little. Smell?