Cannabutter Quantity/Method?

Hi all, I’m making some cannabutter and was wondering the best way to do it? I’ve heard mixed reports of how much to use, one friend said 1/8 oz bud to a pound of butter would be plenty… I was thinking closer to an 1/8 oz to a stick, or maybe even a 1/4? But also don’t want to just waste weed if that’s overkill.

Also, I made some with a friend and he mentioned baking the ground bud for a bit to decarboxylate it - I don’t have an oven, so is there a stove top friendly method of making equally potent butter? Or should I go to my friend’s house again?

Cheers,
Sweet quiche

1 Like

@sweet_quiche Coconut oil actually absorbs the THC in the compounds in the plant better but you can substitute butter but this is still the best way by far I’m talking hospital high if you’re not careful but When done correctly, this recipe will take 10 days

First you must decarboxylate your raw material. Use the whole plant minus the roots. This will give you the highest medicinal effect.

Heat oven to 200-212 degrees. Put desired plant material in a mason jar and seal the top. Put jar in oven for 45 minutes.
After decarboxylation remove from oven and let it cool over night. This will allow the terpenes to absorb into the plant material.

Fill this jar with Organic Coconut Oil. Fill to the top of the jar covering all the plant material.
Cook in a water bath at 118 degrees for 5 days. Stir occasionally.
Remove from water bath and filter Coconut Oil. Squeeze the material to remove all the oil.
Re-fill the jar with new oil and heat for an additional 3 days. Remove from water bath and filter.

Now add Sunflower liquid Lecithin. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons to one cup of coconut oil.

This can be used as an oral or topical solution. Enjoy.

4 Likes

I make mine with a Crock-Pot @sweet_quiche. I use 1oz to a pound of butter of good trim. No fan leaves. The sticky stuff. for daytime use. For nighttime use when I don’t need to function much, I use 1oz of bud. I decarb in the oven at 240° for 60 minutes. I put the Crock-Pot on high to melt the butter. I turn it back to low once the butter is melted, add the weed, add a cup of water. I use a mechanical timer and cook the butter for 8hours on low to get the maximum infusion of THC into the butter. It will smell when you’re cooking this.

2 Likes

I dose it at a gram per serving,
then add the amount of coconut oil/ghee I plan on cooking with. If you use butter, use clarified butter.

1 Like

This is comprehensive! I’ve got a few questions about the process:

1. when you let the mason jar cool overnight, do you open it or leave it sealed?
  2. you say to refill the jar with new oil, but what happens to the old oil that was cooking for the 5 days? do I refill the jar with new oil and leave the material in the jar, or toss the material and leave the old oil in the jar with the new oil?
  3. What is a water bath, do I buy one or can I fashion it out of some other parts?

You can use a pressure cooker, too. Decarbs it while extracting the oils. Takes about an hour, total. No smell in the house, either.

2 Likes

Do you have a recommendation of butter vs coconut oil for pressure cooker?

The ratio should still be the same. 1lb of butter to 1oz of weed if you want strong butter @sweet_quiche. It’s the same for Oil too if you want strong stuff which I recommend myself. You can always cut back on the dose, but you can’t make a weak mixture better.

3 Likes

Do leave the jars sealed overnight your second question you take the plant material out of the oil strain the oil back into a jar because that’s what you want and then fill in the rest of the way with fresh oil and cook 3 more The cooker is actually cheaper to buy already made up because they cost about the same to fashion one up I got mine off of QVC sorry been working :wink:

1 Like

Thanks! This is exciting, I’ll be sure to try it out with some pals, they should be stoked on high quality oil. I understand the working life, gotta make them monies!

1 Like

Be careful because I made a batch of cookies that called for a third of a cup of butter or use the oil one cookie will knock you out and I have a high tolerance very very very high tolerance

1 Like

Nothing like the surprise of an edible knocking you on your ass when you didn’t expect it. I enjoy it myself, but I don’t have to go anywhere either.

2 Likes

Yeah, I rolled my eyes when my friend told me his butter was strong, put what felt like a healthy dose in some cocoa… Wound up feeling it until around noon the next day!

1 Like

It can warp your mind for a while. Everything I grow is at the top of the ILGM THC list, so I have to be careful what I’m doing when I first make a new edible. I’ve had to sit like a zombie for hours when I over do a dose. Sometimes my pain gets so bad I don’t care if it’s too much @sweet_quiche

1 Like

One bite wait 30 mins

1 Like

This is where you have to use math also. If you want to figure out how many mg of thc is in a stick of butter you made. 1 gram is 1000mg and what ever the percent of the bud is Thc. Example You use 4 grams of weed at say its 20%, 20% of 4000 is 800 mg of thc so in if you use a 1/2 pound of butter for the 4 grams it will contain 800 mg of thc. then divide accordenly. Also remember that edible thc metabolizes in the liver and is turned into 11 hydroxy THC its a much more potent cemical then the delta 9 thc you get from smoking or vaping. GOOD LUCK

2 Likes

So if I understand your math, is this correct? If I infuse 100ml of VG with 10g of 20% THC flower, I should obtain about 2g of THC per 1ml of VG.
10g x 1000 = 10000mg
10000mg x .20 = 2000mg of THC (2g)
2000mg / 100ml = 20mg/ml
So if I make 45 gummies of equal proportions with 100ml of infused VG I should have (100/45) 2.2mg of THC per gummy. Is that correct?

1 Like

As a base estimate: assumes minimum 10% THC (100mg thc per gram bud)

That means for every gram of weed you use, you can estimate 100mg of thc.

If you’re using bud tested at 20%, just dbl the base estimate.

You can probably use less carrier liquid to make stronger gummies.

2 Likes

i tried mine two nights in a row because I didn’t believe they could be that strong!
knocked out cold both nights…and i’m a pro too.

1 Like

Lol nice I know the feeling haha

1 Like