Cannabis Smoker Over Age 50? Please Read & Respond! Thanks!

I’m @FirstTimer1 here. I bought my first 5 White Widow CBD Auto right here from ILGMN. All 5 seeds sprouted and this Forum has been AMAZINGLY HELPFUL! Thank you.
I have a Grow Journal that many of you have assisted me. Thanks again! My journal is entitled ‘Day 26- White Widow CBD Auto’
So, this is why I started a new post.
I am looking, specifically, for cannabis users who are 50 or older to respond to my question below. Thanks in advance!

maybe I’m being overly ‘cautious’
background: I used to smoke herb every day from age 15 to age 20. I loved it. I even took my drivers license exam ‘high’…and haven’t had an accident in in 47 years of driving!
but…the pot in the years 1973 thru 1977, they say, even when we smoked the best we could buy, like ‘Gold Columbian’, Red Columbian’, ‘Thai Sticks’ and we used to buy ‘black hash’ or ‘green hash’ (whatever that was?!) and once in a while ‘hash oil’…I read now that there was probably like 1% THC in the best of that? Never mind the cheap $15 an OZ. ‘Mexican’ pot with leaves, seeds and not many buds…
So, now, 45 years later I am enjoying growing and want to smoke some herb again to see if it will help my mood, arthritis, and insomnia!
So…do you think those past percentages of what I was used to is correct?
If the weed I grow and smoke is actually 5 or 10 times more potent than, what, do I just have one puff? I mean, we used to do massive amounts of bongs and 3 or 4 full joints per session!
Any input and/or advice is very welcomed…

8 Likes

I’m not 50+ but I can tell you there is more to getting high than thc%. I suspect you will love the new varieties and also long for some of the old.

8 Likes

Yeah the days of rolling up a fatty with the paper from big bamboo album are gone but with two or three hit weed you don’t cough as much

6 Likes

thanks for the input! I’m looking forward to harvest!

2 Likes

Yeah, I even had a friend who devised a seriously fun and deranged contraption he called, not a ‘bong’, he called it ‘The Boomer’, it was basically an oversized bong mounted on a tripod…you would stand and smoke the herb out of a bowl that was 5 times bigger than a normal weed bowl…the room would fill with a dense cloud of smoke…everyone would be temporarily become actors in the Jimmy Cliff movie ‘The Harder They Come’

1 Like

I have found that the increased effects are only debilitating for the first two weeks of all day consumption. After that the “novelty” of exaggerated effects wears off and you will be able to function more even though you are doped to the gills. 1st dab I ever did was about 6 years ago and the first one put me to sleep for 12 hrs, now I dab after breakfast and every couple hours until I go to bed. TBH since I harvested my first grow (27 days ago) I have not done a dab or gone to the dispensary. I made one plant into Hash and another into edible stuffs and have been quite satisfied.

4 Likes

Interesting! I appreciate your reply…thanks!

1 Like

Cant even see through the cloud at the end

1 Like

I’m 59-3/4, and unfortunately I wasn’t able to smoke in my 40s or 50s due to drug tests. I’m under 6 weeks from my retirement day, and I’ve also been wondering if I can “handle” today’s weed. Back in the 70s and 80s I was lucky if I could make an oz last more than a week. I know I won’t have that problem now. If I can’t “handle” it, I promise you it won’t be from a lack of trying, repeatedly!

5 Likes

Your post brought back a lot of memories. Four finger lids of Mexican reefer for $20 was a good deal back then. Of course like you said it was full of sticks and seeds and had to be cleaned on an album cover. Burned more then one hole in a shirt due to the seed that was missed and POPPED, hahaha.

I too quit for many reasons, small kids, drug testing etc. Now at almost 67 and retired, kids grown and moved on, lets give it another go. I’ve hit some a few times in the recent past and still enjoyed it. Now a days I am also looking for a little pain relief and sleeping aid. Growing older comes with the aches and pains but at least it might put a big smile on my face. And to be sure the growing again is huge fun, especially with all the great help available here

8 Likes

I’m 66 and yeah, the weed now is way better than what we normally got back in the day! But I can’t say I had any problems adapting!

7 Likes

@Luckyrider I didn’t burn my clothes much, but every car I owned had seats full of holes from those seed pops.

6 Likes

Moderation, would be a recommendation from an aging Hippy! :peace_symbol: Enjoy the flavor, and variety! Never thought I would see the day!

5 Likes

I’m from back in the day too. Acapulco gold was magical and only seen once by myself. Today’s smoke is by far mo potent. 1, 2 hits then relax for awhile. Enjoy, I hope to for my remaining time on earth.

7 Likes

53 been smoking since 13. Don’t be shy mate you will have a ball. Maybe even feel little younger. Good luck. Happy growing :+1:

6 Likes

Hey Now, did someone mention my favorite brand lol

I’ve been smoking rolled joints for the better part of 42 years. I’m 57 now.
I’ve never smoked premium weed and the stuff I buy is around 250 an oz. It has no name, but let’s count the small blessings, it has no twigs and no seeds adding to the weigh. It’s ok stuff but nothing to brag about.
I am currently growing outdoors and have also started a journal, NY Outdoors Autoflowers.
If I was any good with tech I would have posted the linc. I even put my journal in the wrong place, but that’s ok, it is in autoflower support. I don’t know how to tag or even get those past sentence snippets in my replies. Is a heart a like? How do you post it?
Just showing my age.
Good luck!

5 Likes

@Spiridly
Hey Man I just tagged you. At the bottom right, hit reply. Then type @, and selections will pop up. Then type your post & send. It’ll notify the person you’re after.
And yes the heart is a like.
Every forum is setup different, I’m slowly learning this one lol.

3 Likes

Thank you @CC_Mo !

1 Like

Yes! It works! It’s like I’ve discovered the wheel!

1 Like

Hah, yes.
Dang o’ technology stuff.
I recently retired & my job had a pretty heavy computer load with constant new crap to deal with.
Every time I had a question I’d hunt down the young new guy. They grew up with a computer in their hand.

2 Likes