Cannabis Industry Jobs

So I have been a tractor trailer driver since 1998
I worked for more companies than I care to remember but the majority of my work was pulling doubles for FedEx freight from hub to spoke and so on
I recently retired from driving after driving a roll off for the county I live in …at FedEx I was making over 100k a year working 10 hours a day at most …
At the county I was making 36k a year working 8 hours a day 7-3:30 M-F bankers hours and was doing it more for the paid time off they give you …when Covid hit I got laid off. So just a few months ago I went to work for a family member at a water works supply yard …storm drains ,fire hydrants …5 / 10 hour days and garbage money …
Just the other day I was hired as a cannabis cultivation tech at a dispensary near me for $2 less an hour than my own family was paying me …
I’m going to go in there with a positive attitude and learn everything I can and not really worry about anything else.
The way I see it I can afford the pay cut to go and get paid to do something I’m passionate about .
I only have 2 seasons of outdoor growing experience but I can tell it’s something I want to do …
And I can remember a time working in the other jobs I was …wishing I could get paid to grow weed long before I ever grew any …

Not sure but in the state I’m in recreational just began and only medical dispensaries are permitted to sell recreational marijuana…
They need help and I’m down …so I kkk no oh there’s down sides to every job and I will never be a six figure employee anywhere except FedEx freight anyway …I have nothing to lose and just knowledge to gain …

Also when I told my own family, who I was working for what I was doing, …I was giving them notice …fired me on the spot

7 Likes

WORDS TO LIVE BY.

5 Likes

You have the right attitude anyway.

4 Likes

Thank you …I already really like it a lot …
And I’m new so I’m on harvest which seems to be a job most people don’t want …
Idk why ? I could do it every day for the rest of my life and not dislike it .

3 Likes

That’s awesome, attitude really does go a long way! I think nobody wanting to do lowest job on totem pole is pretty common in all industries. I’m in a position where i hire, promote, and complete performance appraisals. Just about everyone that applies with us is happy to accept entry level position, and just about everyone that does complains about something or another within a few months. I have come to conclusion that most people can’t help it, and having the desire to move up isn’t a bad thing. But they’re gonna have to earn it if they’re working with or for me, and I definitely have an old school mentality. The person who shows up and meets or exceeds expectations with least amount of fussing will get further than person always chirping about it.

5 Likes

See that’s really a great way to be …because you are acknowledging someone who truly wants to be there …by showing them that you value them …
I had to work with someone yesterday that had some sort of disciplinary action against him for breaking a rule …I don’t know the exact circumstances but he just returned from a suspension ,anyway …he was sent to harvest and feels as if he was demoted
So the entire day …on my second day all he did was complain …I blocked him out and let the sound of the fans drown him out …
I’m the type of person who believes that everyone is going to have a different experience and depending on the type of person you are …you dictate what that experience is going to be like ,by how you act .
Not taking sides but I just don’t need to hear negativity about others I may not have even met yet and know nothing about based on his experience that I’m pretty sure he created himself …
It’s just like …let me make my own assumptions and conclusions about the job or the people I work with in my own …not from “his” experience.
So sometimes someone like that can immediately put negative things in your mind if you allow it .
Seems like a good person just they type that thinks being in harvest is beneath him .
When I was hired I was told you could be placed wherever the need is at any time .
They want us to work together to get whatever job needs to be done ,done safely and according to their policies.
I don’t own the place I just work there and as long as I keep that team work attitude and just keep reminding myself that my worst day there …is better than some of my best days as a truck driver lol .I will be completely fine …
I would literally sweep the floor there everyday and be happy about it.
I know eventually I’ll find a groove and a purpose there .

3 Likes

So I held off on the cultivating job and now they upped the rate just enough I could “afford” to take a chance and get into it. I have a second interview tomorrow I’m hoping they take me. At least get in the door and I can make my way up from there.

6 Likes

That’s all I’m tryin to do
And good luck I hope you get it …
I was told before I agreed to the position that the pay will definitely be going up because the employees decided to unionize.
And one of the main things being argued is the low rate of pay …
I’m ok with it because I’m lucky my wife has a great job with really good income and she was supportive of my decision to go and do something I love rather than be miserable

I also feel like these dispos and grow operations make money hand over fist and can totally afford to pay more .
I do realize there is lots of overhead and costs that are un-imaginable
However the ones in my state are already successful nationally.
I hope you get the job ! Good luck

2 Likes

Good wishes for your interview. PRACTICE, at home, with a list of possible questions FROM them and FROM you (show your interest). IDKS, havent interviewed in 26 years, but know what is recommended.

2 Likes

Are you fully vaccinated ?
That was one of the biggest things where I work
Luckily I was but they told me they have to turn so many people away because they say oh yeah. I’m vaxed and then they ask to see proof and most can’t provide because they lied about it

Now I’m not saying you should or should t be already that’s your business and your choice …
I just know it’s a huge deal where I am

I fought my wife tooth and nail on ever getting vaccinated because everyone in my house had Covid twice and I slept right next to them the forced hot air circulation I should have gotten it and never did
So I never wanted to be vaxed
When I found out they require it I gave my wife a huge hug for making me lol

2 Likes

Luckily this place does not require it but I can provide “proof” if need be just saying. I also had it twice and was fine which is why I didn’t get it because I’m relatively healthy etc. I did see some medical dispensary jobs require it but I guess working with the plants here they do not.

1 Like

The place I work is a grow facility and dispensary together maybe that’s why

Then again it could be my crooked state regulating them to make everyone have it

They make me pay for fingerprints from the FBI just to be able to touch a cannabis plant yet it’s a felony to grow my own at home so I wouldn’t doubt it lol

2 Likes

Damn and yea my state is illegal as well still :frowning: we just got medical and they weren’t even allowing people to smoke it :rofl:. Luckily that much changed at least, I’m fortunate I live on border of 2 states that are legal.

1 Like

Well let’s hope for you That my garbage state NJ didn’t set an expample for any other states
We are the only state out of 19 legal states medical and rec that home grow isn’t allowed

Not even for medical patients

1 Like

Also I’m telling you if you get in now when they just legalized medical …you’ll be set when recreational starts and they’ll need more people and you’ll already be there

1 Like

Just interviewed for the cultivation job keep your fingers crossed for me :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Good luck sir !! Would be awesome I’m sure you won’t dislike it at all

Uncle Sam been shooting us for years, we stand in line and take another.
Still living, or dying slower, daily. The learning available from working a commercial grow would be fantastic, good luck.

3 Likes

They don’t want any untaxed greenery lol. I’m in NJ now in Atlantic City and having a blast here!! Stumbled across your Bike Fest this wknd here!!

Good luck with your new job!! I think it’d be really interesting to see how the Industry operates from within.

2 Likes

Id take your garbage state, legal is legal. We arent and baby steps is a improvement.

Negativity…lol he complained there, you complain here hmmmm.