Cannabian is trying something new

Ok, I dont have a cloner perse, and I figured why not take a huge clone? Why just take a couple nodes? I want a plant… with branches! So Im going to try air layering a couple branches, i figure now would be a good time as the plants might transition in another month or so? Here’s what Ive done…
Tinfoil, sharp knife, rooting gel, and promix hp, mix gently with distilled water until moist.
I simply scraped the stem all the way around to wound it some

, smeared some rooting gel there placed some moistened soil in the tinfoil and squished the works as equally as possible onto the wound. Ill check this in 2 weeks or so. In the mean time, Ill take a few traditional clones to be safe. If this works, I will have a stalk with roots and 3 branches with at least a few nodes each!
The big advantage here is obvious, with a traditional clone you have no roots to keep the cutting alive, air layering provides a life support system while roots form. At least in theory? Ill see if I did it right in a couple of weeks :laughing: :rofl: :joy:

21 Likes

Hey, I’m board, I think it’s a good idea.

6 Likes

Very nice!! Excited to see results :wink::+1:

1 Like

Must be something in the air, I’m giving my first try at cloning. Took a cutting off the bottom of a gold leaf and seeing if I can make it root.

I am set to watch.

3 Likes

Excellent! I also have a rootless plant in a jar

It was planted 06/11 so Im guessing roots should be forming any time? Right?

3 Likes

Wont be much to see, perhaps others can add their cloning experiences? This could be a couple weeks before we see any results?

1 Like

Please keep me advised as to how your clone is doing!

1 Like

I’m thinking this will work. I’ve seen gardeners do this with other types op plants. They just cut the branch off right below the new root ball… keep us posted, please

1 Like

Will do! Yeah Ive used this on trees, but the process is a bit different, you score and remove the bark completely from a tree branch, I couldnt do that with the cannabis plant because its too thin and would linely compromise the strength too much?

1 Like

Great idea! Something like that in a product came across my Facebook just this last week. Some kind of black plastic hinged cup that snaps closed around the stem of the plant. I’m very interested in seeing this!

4 Likes

@Myfriendis410 I saw the same thing last week. Never thought about applying it to cannabis, though… I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

3 Likes

It will work just fine and will more then likely work faster then you think…
I’ve done this several times with no issues and no hiccups… :wink::+1:
:v::sunglasses:

7 Likes

I clone all the time. I’m aware of this but have never tried it. I just use this to keep my humidity up. Going to follow this and see how it goes :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

yeah can you send me the link? I like the idea of taking a whole plant as a cutting, you know complete with branches!

1 Like

Well thats nice to hear! I figure its a thing that people just dont do much of with cannabis. Not sure why exactly? Its easier than cloning…

1 Like

thats a cool tub with dome! Where did you get it?

1 Like

mine started from the bottom of a goldleaf plant too. Ones then and then now

3 Likes

Im assuming the gold leaf is not an auto then?

Oh yea and thats my first time cloning. Forgot to mention that

2 Likes

Nice! Good luck with it! Its my first attempt at layering a pot plant, so we shall see how it goes? If it works, I wont ever clone again. Id much rather have a branching plant that is actively growing without the need to babysit it for 2 weeks.

1 Like