Can you start plants outside and move indoors

Hello, Need your thoughts and assistance please. We would like to start autoflower plants outside then move indoors once they need to be transplanted into final grow bags. Is this ok to do? If yes or no, why and what would we need to watch out for?
The room is 8’x10’ x 9’ tall. Walls lined with silver mylar, room temp is usually 70-85 degrees. Humidity is apx 50-60%. Has stand up fan for circulation and window fan for ventilation. There are 4 - 600w LED lights. The window gets covered with shade and mylar when LED lights go off, for the darkness.

1 Like

IMO, pest will be your struggle. Pest prevention and treatment will be a heavy focus

4 Likes

@rbwattsy2 May I ask why you want to start outside if you have a designated grow room? I only ask because as @Zee mentioned you will have issues with Pests. I started my photo’s inside in a tent and still ended up with a Fungus gnat problem.

3 Likes

You can definitely do that. I bring my outside plants in during flower to give them a nightly inspection and put them under lights, but I do it that way because I don’t have a tent and good lights yet.

As previously mentioned, bugs will be your biggest enemy outside.

1 Like

I need to bring them in because my outside grow area is small, laws of Mass is enclosed and locked area only. And the plants we started outside vs inside look greener and healthier.

1 Like

Do you use anything to prevent bugs?

Any suggestions for bug control?

1 Like

Neem oil for preventive maintenance. I don’t grow outdoors.

3 Likes

I’m not currently using anything for bugs. I just inspect closely at least once a day.

2 Likes

Yes you can bring them inside from outside.
If I do an outdoor grow I sprout them inside and let them grow for 3 weeks before placing outside depending on time of year I cover with a bottle to create a hothouse environment

1 Like

@rbwattsy2 Several things you could do…DE on top layer of soil and also preventative sticky traps…Neem oil works just be careful some plants tolerate other’s do not…There are other alternatives also really just depends on what kind of approach you want to take …preventative…or wait till you know what your dealing with(if anything) could get lucky. My two oldest kids are in springfield,ma. If I were you I would spray neem all around the area outside where your plants are a few days before you bring them inside just to be safe but do what works for you brother and if you need any help @ me and if I cant help I know who will be able to… Good Luck!

2 Likes

I see no reason you would want to do that, makes no sense. You have indoor grow space, why not start them there? Nothing to be gained starting outside and plenty to lose, pests, weather, temps, less hours of light, etc…

3 Likes

I agree with the general consensus. Especially considering your local laws. No reason to start them outside and then bring them in, if you have a good indoor grow space and lights.

3 Likes

Bugs are less of an enemy outside than inside! I get the odd caterpillar and maybe a few aphids, possibly some slugs? I lose a leaf here and there, its all part of nature. I dont need to use pesticides or import lady bugs to keep that in check because they already exist out there. There is a balance. Indoors its not the same! A bug infestation can come in with the soil, on the leaf, on your clothes, on your pets, through an air duct… once inside there is no way to control them without bringing in pesticides, sticky tape, diatoms, carnivorous predatory insects etc. I keep my grow room pet free and super clean, and only grow in cold months… never bring garden pests indoors!

2 Likes

yeah and your dope would end up scrawny and shitty! Indoors is best!

my weed has stopped growing because its dark and rainy and cold! Its depressing!

3 Likes

Springfield Ma is about an hour, west, from me.

1 Like

Don’t have that problem below the Mason-Dixon Line in the middle of summer. lol

1 Like