Can you solve the mystery? (see photos)

If you have well water, you may have struck oil!!!

1 Like

@Whodat66 if he is on a well, down south, like in sandy area, could be something getting into it. Got all these …caverns down here underground and if the well drilled goes into it, no telling whats there especially since they can connect to the outside.

I was joking-ish. Think Fracking, or just having a well too near a deposit.

@Whodat66 I figured you were joking. It just provided a lead in for my comment on the water strata down south. All limestone that gets erroded away easily. Creates big potholes. Neighbor had one open up on his old place. State bought him out and made him move. He said the thing was deep as heck. went down about 50 feet to water. Why the state bought him out cause they wanted to keep the water from getting contaminated since it was at the water table and connected to other areas. Lots of it happening.

2 Likes

@cyberblast @Whodat66 I am almost in Canada, but get muni water. so it isn’t well contamination.

I have seen videos of people next to fracking sites that can ignite there faucets like a lighter and the fracking companies say there is no issue. Sure, and the world is flat!

So, now the update on the investigation. I kept water straight from the faucet for a number of days, and a very, very slight film has appeared. I also used a new bucket and brought the tap water down to 6.5 PH using Up/Dow. That water has the film. While it points to Up/Down, I am guessing it is something that thrives at 6.5 PH and doesn’t do to well at 7.5 PH (the PH of our tap water). Nobody appears to have had any issues with Up/Down. However, the question still remains as to what it is.

2 Likes

I have also heard that those videos were staged by the people doing the “documentary” and have since been busted as bogus. That said, a drop of gasoline will cover hundreds of square yards on a calm surface, so how much of any oily contaminant would it really take to make a sheen in a bucket?

Does it have an odor?

Fungus thrives at a lower ph which might explain why.

I found a really good link from university of pa regarding different water symptoms and their possible causes.
Almost all of them can be solved by installing a filter of some type or softening system.

TWO things I can tell you if you are seriously paranoid about the local muni water:

• Go to an RV parts and supply store like Camping World and get a cartridge water filter to use on a garden hose

(I’ve had one for years that I use to filter and fill emergency water jugs with in the event of storms or power outages)

• The best water you can collect and save is RAIN WATER. Set a glass or polycarbonate container out when it rains with a funnel in the top to catch pure rain water. You can find these where water jugs are sold, and on the bottom there should be a number 7 inside a triangle.

~ a five gallon polycarb jug will hold enough rainwater for quite a while

• FIVE GALLON GLASS jugs (or “CARBOYS”) can be found at brewing supply shops

@FrikkinFrank Thanks for the input? How are those containers at catching snow? :slight_smile:

snow and rain are one and the same. Thing about snow is that it hasta be melted tho…

To reply to your op I always have used gallon water jugs, makes measuring easier and never had water issues

Did you happen to use both the PH up/down in same bucket? I was told if you use PH down in a solution/water and drop it to low DO NOT USE PH up. So basically only use one or the other. Using PH up and down together in same solution/water can cause problems.

No, it was just ph down. As an update, I do not know what caused the issue, but I have changed my practices. I now let the water sit out to gas and I adjust the ph just before I use it. Any left over is stored in a different small container or dumped.

1 Like