Can you I.D. this pest?

I have found a few of these in my indoor tent. My medium is a blend of potting soil, steer manure blood meal, vermiculute and perlite, all procured from new, sealed bags. My plants are suffering from spotting on the leaves that eventually turn brown and crispy. I first thought it to be a nutrient issue as this is only my 2nd grow and this time I am trying out Fox Farm’s Grow Big and Big Bloom, in addition to the Masterblend products that worked so well for me last grow. I diligently keep my ph between 6.3 & 6.7. I initially had trouble keeping the temp down in the tent but I’ve since dialed it in due to the addition of 2 inline fans, one that pumps fresh cool Montana air in and another sending the carbon-scrubbed hot air out the chimney. I run 2, 400w HPS in the tent which is strictly for flowering. My veg room is 1 1000w MH and so far these critters haven’t managed to infiltrate that room.
I’ve tried organic soaps as I’m afraid to use anything harsher since I’m about 45 days into flowering. I just purchased a cheesy microscope and this is what I found.Tue%20Jan%2023%2019-28-12(upload://5aSC5AEMG3m3cXrFT90U1tPEZem.jpg)Tue%20Jan%2023%2019-19-24

Strain; Animal Cookies & OG Lemon Kush

Age from Sprout: 61 days

How often do you water and how do you determine when to do so? Approx 1qt every other day, according to a soil moisture tester.
PH of water: 6.3-6.7
What is strength of nutrient mix? ?

Indoor or Outdoor: 5×5×8 flowering tent

Light system, size and height from plants: Veg - one 1000w MH approx 20" above in cool tube. Flower-Two 400w HPS approx 16" above scrog.

Temps; Day, Night: 66-85’

Humidity; Day, Night:16-45

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size: intake 6", 375cfm outtake 8", 425 cfm w/carbon scrubber.

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier: None

Co2; Yes, No: No

ps- Sorry. This somehow posted before I was finished. I also included pics of the damaged leaves.

2 Likes

@Bagseed68 Welcome to ILGM

I think some pictures are going to be needed. Also a support ticket

COPY/PASTE: This “Support Ticket” into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA

Strain; Type, Bag seed, ILGM… name of strain:

Age from Sprout:

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco / Brand and type of Soil & Size of Pots:

How often do you water and how do you determine when to do so?

PH of water and runoff or solution in reservoir:

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS:

Indoor or Outdoor:

Light system, size and height from plants:

Temps; Day, Night:

Humidity; Day, Night:

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size:

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier:

Co2; Yes, No:

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you

Also here is a Deficiencies & Excesses Chart to help you identify what is wrong with your plants

1 Like

Little white spots??? If they r gettingbkittle white spurs it’s usually spider mites. Look at the underside of the leaves and see if there are little tiny critters underneath ?? Sucks if so

1 Like

I would try some spinosad spray. Home improvement stores have Monterry Insect Garden Spray. It’s used on organic veggies and they stay organic according to FDA. It’s also used on tobacco so it’s okay to use up until one week before harvest. Harmless for humans. Neurotoxic for insects.

@garrigan62
has a great tobacco recipe for pest control
Im sure hell share it with you when he sees the tag
Check underneath the leaves as recommended and all around
Was it the only one you saw or what ?

1 Like

that is a thrip. tried lots of stuff to kill them, Spinosad worked after first application.

4 Likes

I have seen several! I used insecticidal soap and while I haven’t seen as many lately, the leaf damage grows more extensive every day.

1 Like

A thrip? I didn’t know we had those up here. Is spinosad a name brand or the active ingredient? Is it safe to use on flowers? Are thrips as prolific, and as harmful, to plants as mites?

Had them my first grow last year. It is active ingredient. Can use almost to harvest with no problems

1 Like

I would get in there and get a good look all over
Do you have other plants that are effected also ?
I haven’t needed to deal with these-so im
Not going to be able to give much advice
Hopefully @garrigan62 sees my earlier tag and replies

I have 12 plants in the same tent all intertwined in a scrog so I have to assume they’re all affected. I will head to Home depot today and look for spinosad.

@Countryboyjvd1971 and @Bagseed6

I’m here but I’m at the pain clinic when I get home I’ll have your answer for you okay talk to you guys later bye

1 Like

Goid luck with paim management brother

1 Like
3 Likes

Right on @Donaldj, great identification :+1::ok_hand::wink::grinning:

Dealing with them myself rightnow too so easy to spot only in my mother space they don’t like the LEC’s so die off fast in my veg and flower space

3 Likes

When I first started growing I pretty much had my set up in a wide open attic space and after dealing with mites,mold,thrip, I decided to make a closed up room with filters for everything and a normal maintenance routine of a cinnamon oil spray and an occasional wash down. I’ve been pretty lucky. I never took it seriously until your 3 wks from harvest and you have 2 pounds of bud with mites all over them. It’s heart breaking and the best way I learn a lesson. I know shower and even change clothes before I go seem my babies and never ever go in the room after working in your yard all day. Get into good habits and you will not have to many problems hopefully

1 Like

They usually hang out on the underside of your leaves, so you have to get your quart spray bottle down low and spray upwards. The nice thing about spinosad is it is so harmless to mammals you can really saturate your plants with it just a week before harvest and you will never know it was there. It’s produced by a bacteria kind of like BT, but BT is mechanical so caterpillars have to eat it to get clogged up and die. Just any contact at all with spinosad will kill all sorts of insects. Unfortunately, that probably includes ladybugs, but cannabis is so short lived that ladybugs are not really going to do much for you.

If you start using spinosad, repeat it weekly with a new sprayer you mix up. It has a very short half life.

@Countryboyjvd1971 , pain management can really suck depending on what they are doing. I’m right now recovering from a neck surgery and still have a lower back surgery to go! It’s a painful recovery and I can’t really tell if they fixed anything yet so beware of surgeons cowboy

2 Likes

10-4 @timmyv324
I have lower backnissues my self
I go to pt regularly and my brother is a chiropractor so he keeps me moving
Lucky ive managed to stay off operating table so far but with degenerative discs in my lower back it wont be much longer just not there yet
Best wishes my friend

2 Likes