Can you help me pick a light?

I understand as does everyone else here. We’ve all sent good money into thin air on LED’s that claim one thing and do another, blatantly. I think it’s fraud on the part of Amazon to allow the outrageous claims boasted. We all just hate seeing folks do the same thing we did.

But you know your budget: if this is something you’d like to continue doing you might plan ahead to upgrade your setup and when you do, start with the light. There’s also diy if you are handy (that’s what I did) and there’s a thread here that discusses pros and cons of lighting.

6 Likes

There are several generations of diode type being built into the lights out there for sale.

Samsung LM301H diodes are, I believe, the latest generation out there. I think the previous version was the LM281. Some of the older and far less effective diodes are being built into the burple lights that Vipar, Mars, and Bestva make. Some of these former burple makers are realizing that if they want to be competitive, then they are going to need to use more recent generations of diodes.

2 Likes

That’s all that matters. Like said I’m new what ever I end up with is more then I started with and having fun and some headaches along the way lol,
So on dios “Please Correct If Wrong Someone” had a computer guy explain this way, dios are made on a huge gaint sheet. And they make thousands, when tested not all get 100% EFFICIENT, minors flaws, from whatever made them or the material they where made on. The top percentage goes as Top end Dios. The rest depending on how they tested get shipped out at lower cost lest EFFICIENT or scrapes and re used. HLG is the only company to my knowledge that I have read that has a Samsung Dio machine in US. That’s why they can make there boards in US, and all others a bought from Samsung somewhere else.HLG using TOP End Dios on all boards That’s my understanding paying for Efficient parts that should last longer produce less heat, and heat is bad, sorry long

1 Like

This is an incredible thread. Thank you for sharing it.

1 Like

Hmm im going to have to look into how much buying top notch LEDs would be on their own, and possibly swapping them into cheaper lights. Sounds like there is potential there though, if you could get some cheap in bulk. Could really customize your light exactly how you want it.

No youre good man…i dont mind reading at all, and i can be much more lomg-winded than that haha. Makes sense though.

Do you have any good guides that go into depth on lighting? I feel like ive read 1000 but i havent found one that really hit the spot, in regards to fully understanding all the technical info involved.

None of these lights is big enough to hit recommended dli in a 4x4 tent. Probably not with the lights you already have either. So the relevance of each needs to be put into perspective of what you’re trying to achieve.

This is not really about having the best name or fanciest fixture. You need to have a certain amount of light energy in your space in order for plants to grow the way thet are intended. So first thing first, you should want a light or lights that produce enough energy to do this. From there things like efficiency of the fixture, emitted light spectrum, and physical design of the fixture can all increase or decrease the value/cost of a fixture. They absolutely do not use the same components and design either. Even if they did use same stuff, quantity of components in one 600 watt light can be double another. This would cut operating power of each led in half and be a more efficient fixture. That means less waste heat and increased light output.

Also worth noting that just because a light has a large price tag doesn’t make it great. The lights mentioned by others in this topic are pretty well known to be quality fixtures at fair price from manufacturers that have good reputation. They certainly aren’t the cheapest, but also not the most expensive.

6 Likes

Look up Migro on the tube, What is the best Grow Light Spectrum. He also has tested many of the lights mentioned in this thread.

2 Likes

Thank you for the very informative reply. I am truly enjoying your lets talk lights thread, and i think that will ultimately be the path i end up choosing, as i already have a high interest in electronics. Still at the beginner level though. Have just messed around with electronics components, sensors, and arduino boards, but its a start. Theres a lot of potential here though, and creating something on your own is very rewarding.

As for hitting the proper requirements for my tent, i realize thats its not going to cut it, but its just not in the budget currently. Think im going to go with the 2 bestva p1000s for the time being though. As ive said, im pretty happy where things are, and im hoping the added lights will keep me there.

Dude your knowledge on leds is where i want to be though haha. Is there a site, yt channel, or book you can recommend that specifically covers not only diode tech, but driver, cooling etc, as it relates to grow lights? Do you have a blog or channel pertaining to the topic?

2 Likes

Definitely will do. Thank you.

What the moderator said, what is your space 2-3 plants 2x4, 3x3,4x4 all are very different.
Here are my 3 autos in a 4x4, they could fit in a 4x2 would be tight maybe, so bought a new light coming that will 3x3 that should fit me great. So space also cocco for canibas .com a bunch of reviews but u will Not find a HLG light there

4 Likes

If you are familiar at all with elecronics or electrical components, then you won’t have any trouble at all with an HLG kit of DIY with Bridgelux,

3 Likes

Those look nice as hell man. I was in a 4x2 tent but the plants got too close to the light so i tried supercropoing, but was already 4 weeks into flower, and i couodnt keep them bent. They kept straightening up. I tried tied them down but then the net cups wanted to start slanting and nutes started spraying out. I even cut a hole in the top of the tent to have the light flush with the top of the tent, but they outgrew that. So now they are in the 4x4x80 and at their current height they would be pushing up on the ceiling of the 4x2x60

Next grow ill have to start practicing cropping early.

I love your plants man. Must be a different type tho bc mine seemed like a much more bushy strain before i trimmed everything on the bottom half. What are you growing if you dont mind me asking?

1 Like

They have kits? That is freaking badass. I definitely have to check them put before i purchase anything now. Thank you for the heads up!

1 Like

First timer man just happy to have something, all the same strain, same everything grown using sf-1000 first 30 days, added xs1500 6-7 weeks ago, u don’t have to spend big $ but i want to do more, More space, more light, Bigger Denser Nugs better light penetration then other 2 “cheaper lights”
The moderator is the light guy have read a lot of his stuff, if u know what u r doing he can help u probably build one, best of luck

2 Likes

If you hit up YouTube growmau5 and greengene’s garden older videos will help get basics down. Led gardener has some very good videos on driver operations too.

If you get the right stuff I don’t think most of these builds would qualify for high school level electronics project. If you have a specific idea or components in mind I can probably help you get what you need and walk you through assembly.

Personally, if you feel like you’re serious about building a fixture, I wouldn’t even bother with buying a light right now. Just put the money aside while you do your research. And keep an eye out for building materials you may be able to scoop up cheap or free. Aluminum angle and plate that’s 1/8" thick or better can get you a long way.

4 Likes

Impressive man. Good luck to you as well!

1 Like

Excellent advice man. What do you think of buying one of these cheap lights and repurposing the shell for a custom built light?

You know every time i buy something on amazon cheap im always wondering how i can repurpose, improve, or fix it when it breaks…i think people miss out on that. All this cheap stuff can teach you how to do it better yourself, and help you bypass the need for structural parts. Other things we can 3d print…its a great time to be alive bro.

2 Likes

In a lot of ways it is!

I wouldn’t buy a light for the sole purpose of taking it apart and rebuilding it. If you already have a light or some parts would be different story. I have helped a few here make improvements on factory lights. All depends on what is in them.

3 Likes

Im sure ill be picking your brain at some point, when i make the leap into building. Thanks for your help. All of you guys.

I came upon this while reading from forum, but it was mentioned several other times as well…do you know if this happens to be true?

2 Likes