Can you harvest an auto in stages?

@Cannabian for those who do it and support it…I believe their theory is that is increases thc and terpenes. But I couldn’t argue for it or against it, as I can’t prove one way or the other. Sounds like the majority for the most part does as you indicated, and doesn’t do the 36 hr of darkness. And how could one really do a test and get adequate results. You can put one plant in darkness and one not…but being two different plants there would be way more variables to consider when trying to compare the thc and terpene production. And I could be wrong here…but I’m assuming most “home” growers really don’t have the tools or knowledge to be determining thc percentage of a particular bud. Think I’m just going with your advice…plus since I’m harvesting in stages I couldn’t really put it in darkness anyway. Definelty don’t want to put her in darkness, harvest the top, and then put her back under the lights. I’m afraid that would be just asking for trouble. Thanks again for your help…any other advice, please throw my way. Appreciate all that takes the time to help. :+1:

1 Like

Oh for sure it would be pretty easy to test, should anyone care to send in their cannabis for testing. If you were to grow say 20 clones under the same conditions, fed with solution from the same reservoir, 10 given darkness, 10 not and dried normally. Send em in, pay the money and get the results… really that simple. Just expensive.

2 Likes

I tend to agree with @Cannabian. The plant is still alive after its been chopped and then hung in the dark to dry. So it gets probably 48 hours of dark while its finishing off and drying. BUT with anything, you do what works for you. I do it my way because it works for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had to cut down my WW Autos a little early due to Bud Rot. Trichomes were still clear to slightly cloudy. I saved what I could, did a Bud wash and dried. They make for a nice high, not super strong, and keeps me awake if I need to. I have three Gorilla Glues close to ready that I will cut down early due to a planned trip for 2 weeks and I want to wash, dry and cure before leaving. That is my fault.

1 Like

Yeah. Im not looking to be stuck to the couch. I like to still be able to function (I never drive after smoking though) and not monged out. I nicked a little top last night so think I am about ready tbh. It was a nice smoke. Ill put up some pics tonight afterwards.

it will be a much nicer smoke a month and a half after harvesting!

1 Like

If it lasts that long lol

1 Like

Have nicked a couple of buds and will harvest properly at the weekend I think. All the leaves are dying :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I tried to research the extended dark before harvest a little… My irl grow mentor says it’s pointless and a lot of stuff I found from expert growers said that all the nutrients that are going to return to the root system have done so after about 6 hours of dark.

I don’t plan to do extended dark on my next one. I’ll just chop her right before lights come on for the regular schedule.

1 Like

If you’re doing your harvest in stages on one, you could let the last bit you harvest have extended dark. Then you could compare those nugs to what you harvest early.

@AloysiusDevadanderAbercrombie Very true…good point

So here it is. Drying out nicely. Buds are quite loose now its drying but I know this is down to the light. Gotta work with what you have. Free larfy bud is still free :slight_smile:

Its all for me so a rough trim is fine. Dont care about aesthetics.

4 Likes

Hey @Scowners. How many days drying, 5-6? I noticed you left them on the main stem. I have seen some people cut them into smaller branches. Do you think it is taking longer to dry?

Looks great! Congrats getting to this point. I’m almost getting ready t cut my first ever grow soon. Just trying to get some ideas.

1 Like

I pulled them on Monday @PP3121 . I check them twice a day to see how they are doing. The tents humidity is a bit high as we have wet weather but I would hope to be doing a final trim into jars this weekend. I leave the long stems on for hanging and keeping the buds apart to help them dry.

When I move them into mason jars they will get trimmed into buds. I have a fan on the bottom of the tent by the air intake to create a gentle pull of fresh air (not pointing at the buds) and I have the extractor at about 40% to create a draft upwards through the buds. It normally smells of hay because it dries too fast so I am trying to keep it slow :slight_smile:

1 Like