Can too much Nitrogen stunt seed growth

I just potted some need seedling and think I might have added to much of a soil Amendment that increases Nitrogen in the soil. So much so a strong Oder is being emitted from the soil. Will this stop seed germination and growth.

Most of us start in a soil that’s has some nutrients in the soil, but not a lot. After the roots are established, then you can transplant into the hotter soil. @Mula-the-G
You might see her come up, you might not. I’m not there to look at the soil. I would side with caution and put it in some seed starter soil.

4 Likes

“a strong odor” emitting from your ‘soil’ is not good,
that amount of amendment is probably toxic to any plant and especially toxic to seedlings.!

like Covert said…
get em out of that ‘soil’ and plant em in something seed friendly.!

then toss out the ‘amended’ ‘soil’.!!!

almost forgot…
too much Nitrogen can stunt and/or kill plants, seedlings r very sensitive to N.

2 Likes

What did you add??

Some fertilizer I found at Lowe’s lol idk through the bag away but it was high in nitrogen and I didn’t catch that til after the fact :rofl::rofl::rofl: we live and we learn

@Mula-the-G

Yes it very well could. I’m going to sugest that you get some other potting with a very low npk like 0.06 0.04 0.08 or close to that and get some worm castings and mix them together75 soil 25 worm and mix.
Now as soon as you see them break through very carefully dig her out and remove any remaining soil from her roots and place in the new soil. Don’t worry you’ll be fine and the seedling will thank you. Now if you don’t then you mite as well throw them out cause they simply won’t grow they will burn up and die and flushing well that won’t help either. Do as I stated and you’ll be fine

1 Like

Help how do I get rid of this messs