Can ripening be sped up?

Need some advice from the expert auto growers. This is my second grow, but the first grow with autos. I have one Blue Dream and one Chocolate Thai growing. The grow times for both (germination to harvest) were listed as 56-70 days. Today is day 53 from when they broke ground. The girls are doing great (pics below) but as you can see, the pistils are still all white and based on my first grow I believe I have some weeks to go before they’re ready to harvest. We are leaving for a couple weeks in mid-November so I’m worried about running out of time. I don’t have anyone that can take care of the girls while we’re gone, but if I can get them cut, dried and into jars I can take them to someone that will do the curing while I’m gone.

Question#1: Is there anything I can do to speed up the maturing of the buds?? (e.g ., shorten the daylight period- currently at 20 hrs??)
Question#2: If I wait until the last possible moment to cut and hang them in the tent for drying, is 14 days of drying going to make them way too dry and if so, will the Boveda packs rehydrate the buds? The tent is in the basement (so cool temps) and I have a dehumidifier there so I can control the RH.
Any advice would be appreciated.

2 Likes

You can’t. The best you can do is ensure a good environment (PPM, pH, lighting,…) so that she can thrive.

Drying generally takes 7 to 10 days at ~60% RH and ~68F.

Cited times are flowering times and the clock begins when pistils first appear at the tips of the plant. It isn’t really possible to cite seed to harvest times because autos can begin flowering at any time between 2.5 weeks and 12 weeks. Most autos will flower at some point between 4 and 7 weeks. There can be a wide variance in seed to harvest times.

Yours looks to have been in flower for 3 to 4 weeks, so you probably have 4, 5, or 6 weeks to harvest depending on how much amber/cloudy you want in your trichomes.

3 Likes

If you can get it cut and dried just put the bud in Grove bags. No need to burp or monitor anything. Just bag it and you’re good to go.

4 Likes

Very nice plants , Keep up the good work no way to speed up the process of plants finishing. You still have a few weeks to go. :v: Good luck

3 Likes

:point_up_2: flowering times only, should read 70-84 days. That’s been my experience with flowering to harvest times on autos :love_you_gesture:

5 Likes

Quality prevails don’t rush a wonderful thing . Just my opinion :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

@MidwestGuy @kellydans @OGIncognito @anon1893985 @Outlaw
Thanks all for the info.
I guess my only option is to let them go to the last possible moment before we leave, and then chop
and let them dry until we return. I think the basement will be cool and I can control the RH with the dehumidifier. Was listening to a podcast, Autoflower Podcast, and heard a guest on the show discuss he had grown autos from seed to harvest in 70 days, so maybe I’ll get lucky :pray:

2 Likes

That sounds like your best option imho. I wish you the best of luck and congrats on a successful grow.:muscle::100:

Thanks so much!

You’re welcome my brother you just let me know if you need anything else and I’m going to send you an invite to my journal so if you ever need any help feel free to contact me​:pray::muscle::100:

@anon1893985 Well I’ve been thinking and wonder, what do you think would be the best option for me to do on the day before we leave for 2 weeks:

1. Chop and hang the girls to dry. OR
  2. Water the hell out of them (they’re in coco/perlite) and turn off the lights and let them dry in the ground? I was thinking this might keep more moisture in them for a few days so by the time we get back they’re not excessively dry. I just don’t know if there’s a downside to doing it this way.

I really couldn’t tell you except weighing out your options… it you cut and hang you will come home to basically dust… i thought you were only going to be gone for a week so my bad… so water the hell out of them before you leave sounds way better to me it will prolong the drying process and will still be alive when you get back home so i agree with your over watering idea

Sorry saw in coco

You must love The Stand nò one yet has made a movie like the one in my head when I read it in 3 days.nice girls if capt. Trips came around us weed cannasewers of fine weed will be immune to it but the kick is you must smoke everyday! @Outlaw @Storm @OGIncognito @anon1893985 @Outlaw @OGIncognito
@Mi

1 Like

You thought about setting up some kind of automatic watering system? Ofc you can buy one premade or make something yourself. In extremely dry times I’ve filled milk jugs with water, poked a small hole in them and hung or sat them by plants so they’d at least provide a little water. Not gonna last you two weeks, but a little ingenuity can get you a long way.

Hey spud i chopped her earlier today by far my all time best smoke except for them giant green Mississippi buds back in the day

Perhaps I’m a King fan (I am, and The Stand was one of his best stories) or perhaps I’m an old Deadhead (I am !!)