Can I smoke these?

Good morning everybody! I opened my tent this morning to find a few branches falling over, only 3 of them and they were lower on the plant so instead of propping them back up, my impatient ass cut them off wanting to smoke them and try out my first medicine!!
Being as this is my first grow, I’m not too sure what to do with these. Do I just hang them like I cut the whole tree off? Do I need to do the whole drying/curing process before I can sample my babies?? I know I’ve read before somewhere here where someone took some off the plant and sampled it within a day or two I believe, but I do not know the method. Asking for help my fellow smokers! I just want to try my pretty plant already :sob::sob::joy: LoL
Also I’ve noticed some WPM on the leaves and maybe even the buds. Do I need to wash them first?

2 Likes

You can sample, but it’s likely not going to smoke well or taste great. Might be really harsh. You really want to hang it to dry and once dry cure it for a while before smoking it.

Also keep an eye on your plant now. The stress of losing some limbs may cause the plant to try to sex itself.

Are you sure that’s mildew and not sweet leaf? Careful… In people with weakened immune systems or lung condition s, inhaling smoke from weed that contains certain mold species can have serious health consequences.

3 Likes

Okay, that is what I was thinking would be the case. That it wouldn’t be too great if I tried to just rush it and sample. I’ve already hung them up. I’m not positive, but I’m pretty sure. What exactly is sweet leaf?
And just for more information, the strain is GG4 and it came off a plant that is in week 7 of flower. I’m really hoping it doesn’t affect the rest of the grow… should be chopping the rest of my plants in a week and a half or so.
That also is a worry of mine, so do I wash the plant? Should I do that and then hang them back up?

You can do an h2o2 wash. Google that plus Jorge Cervantes I’ve never done it but sounds like a good idea in this case to be safe.

Edit: I would definitely @ some people and figure out what you have going on before you smoke anything questionable. But the wash cant hurt for starters

4 Likes

The “sugar” on sugar leaves is actually THC-filled tricomes. People here call it sweet leaf. I typically use them to make edibles later.

As for what you think is mold. If it is mold you likely have high humidity and poor air circulation in your growing space. You’ll want to fix that if you can. Dehumidifier in flower is ideal as well as oscillating fans.

I’ve never dealt with mold on cannabis but here are some links to reading material that may answer your questions RoyalSeeds

Mold removal

2 Likes

Ah okay, thank you. I definitely will read up on that right now. I have pretty good ventilation in my tent, it’s blown up like a balloon. And the humidity level in flower has been ranging from RH 50-60% and never really over 60. I’m hoping it’s not mold, my rookie eye just doesn’t know. So thank you for sharing the information, I read up asap.

1 Like

I just read about a method from Robert Bergman you can do a quick dry in the oven. Doesn’t give optimal taste or flavor but the potency remains I’ll try to link it and also @Myfriendis410 can guide you on doing a wash

1 Like

Quick drying in the oven

Perhaps you are looking for the best of both worlds, where you quick-dry a small portion of your crop, but use the slower, less risky method for the rest of your buds. Many growers do this, as it allows them to smoke their product about a week sooner than otherwise. The way to do this is through the use of a cookie sheet and an oven.

Dry weed in an oven

First, take your cookie sheet (an oven tray will also work fine), and bake your buds for 10 minutes at a temperature of 150 to 200 degrees Fahrenheit, or 65-95 degrees Celsius. The resulting product will be harsher and less tasty than buds that had been dried by hanging, simply due to the fact that the water was actively removed and the chlorophyll in your plant didn’t have time to degrade.

It will maintain the same level of potency as otherwise, making it a good method for your personal use.

There are other risks involved with this method, of course. You need to make sure it doesn’t burn or get too dry because this would completely ruin it. Luckily this is a pretty small risk, as you would have to make a pretty big mistake (i.e. heating your oven to way over 200 degrees Fahrenheit) for that to happen. Don’t dry weed in a microwave!

Download my

1 Like

Haha that’s right, thank you man. I’m a little weary of putting the buds in the microwave though lol. I might just wait it out and hang dry them. But definitely still need to wash them first. :ok_hand:t4:

1 Like

Yeah it specifically says do not microwave but I think the oven is different without radiation. I actually tried this method last night. Besides the obvious chlorophyll taste it really wasn’t bad to smoke

1 Like

I use a conventional oven to decarb cannabis every grow. Through decarboxylation, we’re essentially applying heat to plant material so that the THCA gets converted to THC, enabling us to get high. The same rule applies to putting your Cannabis is to a bowl and using a lighter. it’s a chemical reaction that is achieved through heating up raw cannabis to a temperature at which it releases a carboxyl group and becomes psychoactive.

3 Likes

Hmm that doesn’t sound too bad. Yeah I don’t know why I read microwave the whole time. Didn’t realize the oven was the way to do it. Still scares me lol, and being a perfectionist I’d rather wait and see if I can get as close as I can get to some good tasting smoke in a maybe a week

1 Like

I definitely recommend washing with peroxide. For a quick dry, you can do a lot of different methods. All of which are mentioned here. I have ground up enough flower and vaped it wet. Works fine. Just harsh until water is steamed off.

4 Likes

Oh shoot, you’re saying you put them in the oven every single grow? How exactly do you incorporate it into your drying/curing process? Do you hang the plant after being chopped at all?

I chop, wet trim, dry, cure… all the good bud gets cured in jars.

All the popcorn buds and sweet leaf/sugar leaf gets put into the oven to make gummies and such.

I use a very similar process to this YouTube video

2 Likes

That is definitely wpm. It builds up on top of the trichomes and can be mistaken for heavy resin accumulation, but if you look under a scope you’ll see the wpm structure.

I would 100% fully h2o2 bathe those and any other buds from that plant.

8 Likes

Patience will definitely get you better quality as far as taste goes but if you need medicine I think quick dry is best…besides medicine never tastes good anyway

1 Like

I see, I’m going to have to use that same method. I like that, and the info you sent earlier was very informative. Thank you

Hell yeah, that’s the video I watched before. As soon as I get home, within 5 minutes. That video is going back up on the screen and gonna follow exactly. Thank you guys

1 Like

Oh most definitely! Patience is key, my man! Lol, I mean I feel you if I was out of smoke I would probably do that though.

1 Like