Can I raise TDS without adding increased nutes?

Title pretty much says it. I am using distilled water, keep ph pretty tight 5.8 to 6.0. I am feeding half strength GH Flora Series, CaliMagic and Liquid Kool Bloom. My PPM is 198. I could switch to our water as it is well water and nontreated, it ranks a PPM of 200. I am not sure how to raise this without raising the nutes. Or do I even need to bother? Plants are looking phenomenal. My first grow that just harvested, I never even knew to check TDS until last few weeks. But that was a photoperiod plant, not an auto.

3 Likes

Ppm/tds is directly related to the nutrients in the water. Your well water has calcium, magnesium, iron, etc in it and is why it has a 200 ppm reading. Whereas distilled has nothing in it and will be near 0 ppm. So yes, to raise ppm, raise nutrient amount.

4 Likes

The thing is, I don’t want to raise the nutrients as these are autoflowers, right? From what I had read 1/2 strength at most for them. I started 1/4 strength and now have them half strength.

If they’re doing well just keep doing what you’re doing. Something seems off though that full strength would only be 400ppm.

1 Like

It could be that the PPM meter I am using is the free one that came with our Brita pitcher. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Those plants look very healthy. Don’t try to fix what’s not broken. TDS meters have two ranges 500 and 700 you need to be sure of what scale your nutrient line is basing their chart on and use that scale.

2 Likes

I agree. They look good. but your ppms should read a lot higher. With 1/2 strength GH and 1.25 ml of cal mag. I am at about 450ppm. Also make sure it is reading ppm and not EC. I have changed mine hitting the wrong button before. It is reasonably close enough it could be hard to tell if you have not grown a few plants.
I start with ro water. so almost no ppm. I have the liquid kool bloom even though I don’t use it. I will mix the same as you tomorrow and see what numbers I come up with. Yours should be reasonably close. :slightly_smiling_face: Tag me if you don’t hear from me by noon. I feed early in the morning :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Add fresh soil to raise readings without a massive dose of nutes.

3 Likes

I was going to mix some nutes and realized you only have the ratio for the GH, not the others. I see you are in autopots too. You are going to have some nice ladies. :+1:

1 Like

Thank you everyone. My first thought it is the freebie TDS meter that came with the Brita counter top pitcher is inaccurate. You would think it would swing higher as they would sell more overpriced filters. Last grow I never even checked TDS until last couple of weeks. Just was not on my radar. I like the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” method. They are all looking really good. Taller ones are Lemon Haze and smaller ones are Blueberry X Big Bud. All autos.

Do I even need to use Liquid Kool Bloom on autos?

Next thing to consider at some point is CO2.

1 Like

Hey different techniques work for different people. I know people that check nothing they simply follow the schedule and let it go. When they do check they have ridiculous readings and never have any problems. I am like… I hate you.

2 Likes

We kind of play it loose and shoot from the hip. It is a New Mexican thang. :laughing:

2 Likes

Well just keep that beginners luck rolling. Your killing it.

2 Likes

For what it is worth: just added 6 gals RO water, half nutes, and a dose of Simply Silica. TDS now 398

2 Likes

Great BOM entry! Good luck!

2 Likes