Can anyone recognise this pest?

Does anyone know what this pest is. I’m in Australia so there’s a chance it’s native but it looks common. There are a bunch, 5-7 I can see running around in one of the plants I added some chicken :poop: too. They’re tiny, look to have wings but they either do t or can’t fly yet.

Closest thing I can find is a fungus gnat. Maybe they’re just hatched.

2 Likes

Are they on the plant or in soil/grow medium? Kind looks like fungus gnat but you find them in the soil if so. I have had them and they come from the soil I was using. I used yellow sticky card to control. Never had a bad infestation was always trying to stay a step a head.

4 Likes

If you do not mind me asking what are the yellow sticky cards you’re referring to. I am just now getting my grow area set up but I would like to be proactive about it. Gnats are bad this time of year here.

I got them at the hydro shop. They are really just a card with sticky stuff on it.

Trapro 20-Pack Dual-Sided Yellow Sticky Traps for Flying Plant Insect Like Fungus Gnats, Aphids, Whiteflies, Leafminers - (6x8 Inches, Twist Ties Included) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I9KUKLQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_sLU0Bb15R98J0

Sorry not sure did link right but amazon has them.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. I appreciate it. And yes the link did come through😉. I’m gonna grab some just to be safe.

1 Like

I have read and heard that you can use a piece of potato placed on the soil. They flock to the potato.

1 Like

Really. Should I use it in conjunction with the sticky cards?

1 Like

I have not tried it. So can’t say how it works but it can’t hurt. If you put out sticky cards you will be able to monitor how bad it is. You be able to see the bugs on the card. What medium are you growing in?

1 Like

I’ll be using FFOF. I’ll definitely get the cards to have on hand. Always like to be prepared.

Yeah that is what I have used in the past. I trying something new this round and so far no gnats. I noticed them when I had slightly overwatered soil. It is a good soil don’t get me wrong I just trying to be all organic.

1 Like

Yes and I’ve heard a couple other people say that they had gnats from the FFOF. Not many though just a couple people. after I get through my first grow or two I’m a try a different medium. My brother is using the Pro mix this round I’m going to wait and see what he has to say about it

1 Like

I have a buddy that use the pro mix and has good results. I am trying soil #4 from nectar for the gods.

1 Like

Is that your first grow with it? That’s a medium I haven’t heard of yet. Learning new things everyday.

Yes. First time with their nutrients as well. So far things are going swimmingly.

1 Like

Awesome. Do you have a journal? If you do I’ll have to check it out.

Yes I have a couple journals you can check out. Built a growroom in my shed that was one. I am working on my 4th grow so still new to the game. I have had a lot of help from here.

1 Like

Wow thanks I’ll have to read up a little later here. Yes I’m really new I’m just now starting out on my first grow. this weekend I’ll be dropping the seed. So it’s all new to me too I have learned so much from this form it is unbelievable

1 Like

Sorry @Butters just realized we are blowing up your thread. Hopefully some of it answers your question.

1 Like

Got to get ready for work have a great day!

1 Like