Camera recommendations to take closeups

I’m geeking out over my first grow. I’m in the flowering stage and watching my plant with a magnifying glass. There is a “dew” or a “frost” forming on some of the plant parts and, although small, I think I see something I can imagine as hundreds(!) of tiny trichomes forming.

I’m looking for an inexpensive camera configuration to take some pictures of this. any recommendations so I can share some of these findings? Pretty cool

Thanks

1 Like

@csfutbol @Joshmcginnis28 @beardless all have cool ones.

2 Likes

I have this one. I’m sure there are better but for the price it does well. It’s wireless. Can lay your phone or iPad down and then with click of button will snap photo to device. Depending how stead your hand is , some have used tripods to attack camera too.

5 Likes

I have the one above an love it

6 Likes

@Unknown I think this is the one I ordered after I posted. LOL Amazing what you can find on Amazon

2 Likes

I feel I’ve just joined a great group

5 Likes

I think a great member has joined too! @pedally
Happy to have you on the forum.

3 Likes

Forgive my further Geekiness, or whatever, but it’s such a marvel to watch a weed, created by God, come to life from a seed and turn into such a beautiful, wondrous plant.
I don’t know if my girl is special (I just tend her) but she has at least 2 dozen flowering points on her. I’m thinking at least an ounce and a half, the Lord willing.

2 Likes

You most definitely have ! This just isn’t a forum. If you stick around, you will see it’s more of a family , always willing to help. Even if they don’t know answer, plenty are willing to help until it is resolved.

5 Likes

Couldn’t have said any better, we are all like a family, @Joshmcginnis28

3 Likes

Geeking and marveling…
terrible focuser…LOL

9 Likes

If want macro (closer than 1’) shots, your phone is one of the best options. Any point and shoot digital camera is pretty good for macro photography. Getting a DSLR to the same focal capability is pretty expensive, although they can exceed PAS performance if you spend enough.

I have a little accessory kit for my phone. It has a decent macro lens. It was like $16. This is a good starting point. The only annoying parts are that a multi-lens phone tends to switch lenses mid shoot, and you might need to remove your case to clip on.

For microscopes, I’m cautious on the $20-40 Dino-Lite clones that blanket Amazon searches. I ordered one, and I don’t trust the installer not to give my pc malware; they couldn’t get cert with iOS, which is telling. I’m about to return it and buy a Dino-lite for $99, grudgingly admitting defeat.

4 Likes

Hellraiser uses this one and takes some pretty good shot. Makes it nice if wanna use camera for things other than weed also !

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A6D2JVI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?tag=ilovegrowingm-20

6 Likes

I just started using this lens and I’m loving it! And you get a better field of coverage.

2 Likes

an you please post a picture taken with that lense ?

1 Like

You’ll have to ask @Hellraiser for a photo with that macro lens

Here you go, zoom up on the pic and can easily see the state of the trichs.

7 Likes

Looks like 45$ well spent. :+1:
No trouble seeing them now.
Beautiful nug too btw.
:v::pray:

4 Likes

Yes, much easier than trying to use a jeweler’s loupe, specially with plants in the back of the tent.

5 Likes

Thanks Hellraiser , I appreciate the help in my next purchase !

1 Like