Calmag or epsom? Or both?

Been reading about calmag and epsom salts, should this or both be added to my regimen? FFOF,HLG260XL,2X4X5 tent, FF treo and FF powered flower neuts,photo WW seeds.

1 Like

I’ve only used calmag and have had plenty of success. There sure are a lot of epsom salt fans though. I’m curious about proper epsom salt use myself.

3 Likes

Epsom (sulfur) is good for promoting terpene development. Use in flower up to final flush, 1 to 2 tsp per gallon. In some cases it can replace cal mag but won’t help for mag def.

1 Like

Hmmmmmm I thought epsom was magnesium sulfate. Thus a major source of magnesium???

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s mobile. So not available to the plant. But apparently the sulfur is. Hmmm.

1 Like

Ah I thought the epsom was being used for the mag.

2 Likes

I’ve always used cal mag whenever needing it and Epsom to promote terpenes in flower. But that’s me and we all know everyone is different lol.

2 Likes

What’s your feed schedule with calmag? I’m using the FF calmag and feed 1ml /gal with my watering/feeding every 4 days.

2 Likes

Haven’t used any yet. Planning for next grow.

1 Like

I don’t run coco normally so less demand on it but I alternate between cal mag and Epsom salt during water-only days at 2 tsp per gallon. My feeding regimen is f/f/w.

But I have to tell you I have not ever developed a terpene profile I was satisfied with. Then I get cannabis from @Not2SureYet that is knock you down stinky fantastic and he doesn’t do anything special lol. (His C99/Durban Thai is some of the best cannabis I’ve ever had)

2 Likes

You can use CalMag or just magnesium or just calcium depending on your issues and situation
NPK and Magnesium is mobile…according to the second chart it says sulfur is semi mobile…I think there is another that is mobile but isn’t usually ever deficient

2 Likes

Yeah but Mag sulfate might be a stable compound and the sulfur may not want to release any magnesium. I don’t know; just spitballing.

2 Likes

There should be plant availabile magnesium in Epsom salt. I think the bigger picture is that magnesium deficiencies just aren’t all that common when something like a typical 3 part is applied. So most people that are using Epsom is for the sulfur, not necessarily the magnesium.

2 Likes

So many mentions on threads I’ve read lately on epsoms I’m thinking I’m missing something by not adding it to my regimen.

2 Likes

I just started Jack’s with Epsom in coco. I use 6g of Epsom per 5 gallons every time. I wasted my money on a gallon of Cal mag is what I’ve been told. Jack’s part b is 18% Ca., Part A has 6.3% Mg and 8.5% S. The Epsom is 9.8% Mg and 12.9% S.
So I would echo what @dbrn32 said. It probably depends on what else your feeding. It doesn’t make sense for me to use calmag because if I need Ca I add more part B, if I need more Mg I add more Epsom.

2 Likes

Yes, part b is calcium nitrate, mixed with the Epsom you shouldn’t have a need for calmag.

2 Likes