Call it a New Beginning!

The 1.1 grams per gallon is just lower than what a lot of people end up using. I would say 1.2-1.4 grams per gallon is more of the norm.

Calmag is pretty much calcium nitrate or calcium carbonate with magnesium and iron. Using 321 recipe you are already adding calcium nitrate, but magnesium comes from epsom.

1 Like

Iā€™ll make a note of that for the next feeding. Iā€™m glad I recently got the tds meter. I would have been happier had I got it earlier in the grow so I could have hopefully avoided these issues but live and learn!

1 Like

Is there a way to check the ppm of the soil without a full on watering? I would like to check after a feeding with plain water to runoff like Iā€™ve been reading, but I donā€™t want to give them a full soaking of non nutrient water only to find out their hungry and I have to wait for the soil to dry up.

If you give plain watering and feel you need to feed just follow immediately with your feeding. There is nothing wrong with having soaked pot, just donā€™t want to keep them this way.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been reading through your journal @Carpenter and youā€™ve unfortunately experienced this a couple times so Iā€™m interested in your thoughts. My flower tent got an unfortunate case of nanners and I caught it too late :expressionless: the purple haze, godfather og, runtz, and banana Kush all got seeds. My question is on what caused the herm? I have tiny pinholes in the tent but not too sure if that would be enough to cause the change? My exhaust fan also went out when I was gone so they had at least two days of some pretty high temps (mid 90s). Wasnā€™t sure if it was the light or temp shock? All ilgm genetics.

1 Like

There is a lot of factors that can make a plant Herm. Sometimes heat stress, I eliminated my tents for flower because they had pinholes. Other times itā€™s just bad genetics.
HST and LST also.
Personally I tried to eliminate the Genetics that are not very strong.
Be sure to bleach everything strings cords fans everything. My understanding pollen can stay alive for quite some time. Unless it gets wet.

1 Like

I had a banana Kush and runtz in my previous grow that seemed to hold up so Iā€™m hoping itā€™s the light and temp issues from the exhaust going out. Appreciate the bleach tip! I have four more that will be going in there soon (another purp haze, purple Kush, Durban poison, and a white widow (seedsman)) so I definitely donā€™t want them soaking in pollen from this mishap. Iā€™m thinking of throwing a blanket over the east side of the tent and I got some blackout curtains to cut down for the basement windows.

I stopped using seedsman Seeds
Most of them were prone to herm. IMO
Threw them all out. 6-8 different strains.
Recently tried a Bubba Kush from seedsman that Hermed

1 Like

I saw you and another grower mentioned that on your journal. Iā€™m going to watch it like a hawk and hope for some luck. Has your herm experience with their seeds been strictly phenos or autos as well? I have two pheno strains and four autos from seedsman, not a lot of money invested but it would still pain me to pitch them :rofl: aside from ilgm, have you found an alternative quality bank? I definitely donā€™t need anymore as Iā€™ve bought enough my first year in to last a lifetime, but I never get sick of looking!

1 Like

Photos
yes ILGM, Barneyā€™s farm, and Coffee shop seedsā€¦

1 Like

Sounds good, appreciate the help!!

1 Like

Photo, not pheno haha

@Graysin

I feel like I just experienced the built in ph tank you were talking about! Lockout issues and some nasty looking leaves, Iā€™m also wondering if the stress from that caused the herm issues Iā€™m dealing with! But aside from that, I think Iā€™m going to jump into coco after this run! The simplicity along with the better yields are the motivating factors behind this. The watering schedule shouldnt be too bad, I may have to get creative with my work schedule but Iā€™ll figure that out when it hits that point.

Any recommendations on what type of coco? I will be using Jackā€™s for nutrients along with silica and some mkp(mpk I canā€™t remember :rofl:). I am also curious about pot sizes. Using the fox farm of right now, I have autos in 3 gallon fabric and the photos in 10 gallon fabric. Will the same size pots be recommended or is it safe to downsize? Thanks for any input!!

1 Like

Canna Coco is the only brand I have used and actually enjoy. I have tried 3 others now and will continue to go back to Canna every time.
https://a.co/d/c8Y8K9S

I grow most everything in 1gal fabric pots. I will say this: it is stupid. Do not do this. You will water daily and your plants will still be thirsty. I prefer 5 gallon fabric pots for growing in coco, it allows plenty of room for a good rootball without getting unwieldy. I have a 10gal bag I am saving for that one special plant, but I dunno if Iā€™ll ever find her.

5gal fabric pots also fit neatly inside an AutoPot SpringPot system. I highly recommend investigating the SpringPot XL autopot system - fabric bags, auto-watering, keeps your coco hydrated and your plants lush. I use Jackā€™s in my autopot system with no issue.

See above about autopots :v:

1 Like

Appreciate your help! I might use the 3 gallon for the autos still and the 5s I do have will be for the photos. Iā€™ll look into the auto pots as well, anything thatā€™s more time friendly is always worth a look! That special plant may be one of those more expensive seed banks. I took a look at some of them and the strains are enough to make you drool, but the price point is :face_with_spiral_eyes: haha

The most Iā€™ve ever dropped on seeds is $150 for 5. It felt absolutely stupid. But as the first one is flowering now, I get it. It was stupidly easy to grow. It was stupidly easy to clone (I have 2 clones of her fully rooted before I even got her flipped to flower because they rooted so fast). The bud structure is impressive. No foxtailing (a miracle in my room), and the flowers are dense and fragrant.

The thing about dropping money on outstanding genetics is itā€™s critical to have a plan to make it a sustainable investment. Whether you plan to breed it or keep it as a mother plant to make more clones or perpetually reveg and reflowed her to get multiple yields (or heck, do all three) - it will mean you spent the money on the genes, not the seeds themselves. When I think about buying ā€œper seedā€ because all I need is plants to grow, I try not to spend more than $5 a seed.

Absolutely. Autopots are an up front investment (approx $60 per plant) but Iā€™m about to leave town for 6 days and be worry free for my gals because theyā€™ll be fed and watered on their own while Iā€™m away (Iā€™m just praying they donā€™t drink up 30 gallons too fast!). @Nicky and Iā€™m pretty sure @Not2SureYet and countless others use autopots. Itā€™s the next best thing to a recirculating hydroponic system.

5 Likes

I definitely want to strengthen my skills/knowledge before I make that investment. Iā€™ve already purchased too many ilgm seeds this first year of growing. I love variety and I see the bogo sale and itā€™s hook, line, and sinker almost every time! That definitely makes sense though as far as it being an investment. It would be a little crazy to just get one run from a plant when the company invested a lot of time, energy, and knowledge to make them as good as they are. I canā€™t wait to reach the point where instead of worrying about proper feeding and are my parameters okay, Iā€™m wondering about breeding or any other technique that at least I consider advanced learning :rofl:. Itā€™s going to be a fun journey getting there though! Stressful at times, but definitely worth it when sparking up knowing this was all you and the help from super cool growers at ilgm.

The being able to leave with peace of mind sounds like heaven! I work a lot of 12s and 16s so even being able to help out with that is reason enough to look at the auto pots. I know a little stress isnā€™t super crazy to worry about (even brought to my attention as a good way to weed out the weaker or more sensitive genetics @Carpenter), but why not eliminate that from happening if at all possible.

3 Likes

@Graysin is so right in how easy these are to use. Well, I guess a lot depends on your nutrients you use. I use Jacks my self. Same feed from sprout to harvest. I use Jacks, epsom and Silica. So every rez is the same and no issues. If you are going to buy more than 2 pots. I would really think about getting at least 2 kits so you have 2 reservoirs. I tie mine together. I run one. And switch to the other as the first runs low. I can take my time re filling then. If I need to go some where for more than what one rez would last. I turn both on and double the time I can be away.
After all these years. I am finally just getting into smoking. A friend in the cc talked me into trying a vape pen for weed. I am so loving this thing :grin: And I have plenty of bags to test :laughing:
I have never spent more than 100 for seeds. So I canā€™t comment much on that. I know Ravenschief paid alot for some Bellini seeds. They are listed at 195.00 right now. Last time I saw them they were 130 if I remember right.I got to sample that one. And would pay the price for it any day.
We have a lot of great breeders in here. I have grown a few o their plants. You can always tell when you are doing a regular seed. The growth is a lot more explosive than a female seed. Or for the few I have done at least.

3 Likes

That beats the hell out of filling five gallon buckets at the kitchen sink and taking them down to the basement! Luckily I havenā€™t had to go out of town for an extended period since I started growing. Nobody on my list I would trust to feed them while Iā€™m gone or even tell them Iā€™m growing to begin with!

Ive never experienced any regular seeds, just feminized from ilgm or I have a couple seedsman autos going at the moment. Itā€™s crazy how many more roads are opened up with each journal I start reading. Different techniques, different seed types, nutes, etc. Definitely going to be a subject where you never stop learning. Itā€™s got me thinking about moving so I can move my operation to a bedroom instead of the basement :rofl:

1 Like

Genetics are king, however money doesnā€™t always buy the best genetics based on cost.

Reputation is everything until more DNA results are posted for the public

3 Likes