Call it a New Beginning!

After some fine advice from the folks here on ilgm and towards the end of my second grow, I have done the much needed huge upgrade to my setup. adios Amazon lights and hello beauties!

I have a 10x5x5 which I plan on using one of the scorpions on one half for autos. the other half will be for veg plants which I’m hoping my current maxsisun lights will be sufficient for. the other diablo will be going in the 5x5 flower tent. I may play around with the set up after the first grow and do the big tent as flower. Im finishing up my second grow with the Amazon lights and I’m definitely ready for some much better results. I encourage anyone willing to offer tips and tricks or just wants to see what will hopefully be some fantastic results to follow along for the ride! I’ll start posting as soon as I wrap up the final parts of this grow and do some much needed cleaning and organizing. any suggestions regardless of how small are much appreciated, cheers!

15 Likes

finally got the new grow going! a runtz, purple Haze, godfather og, and a banana Kush for the photo seeds.
-ocean forest
-10 gal fabric pots
-using the maxsisun 100 watt led (Amazon) for veg and plan on putting them under the scorpion when I switch to flower
-as far as nutrients, I plan on Jack’s once I need them

the camera seems like it focused on the runtz in the back for some reason, but godfather og is on the right, purple Haze in the front, and banana is in the solo. that one’s a little behind the first 3, I went through two bad Durban poisons before deciding to throw a banana down instead.

I’ll have to take some pictures, but I have the other scorpion over 6 autos (2 gorilla glue, 2 super lemon Haze, 1 Bruce banner, and 1 white widow) on the other side of the tent. they were started and ran a little into flower with my Amazon LEDs and for some reason I neglected to train them. I definitely notice more frost on the white widow and super lemon Haze with the scorpion compared to my previous run with the other lights. I’m giving those advanced nutrients and they were put in a mixture of ocean forest and happy frog in 3 gallon fabric pots.

2 Likes

Any help on identifying this? Here’s the background info:
Lsd auto (ILGM)
3 gal fabric pots on top of drain pans
Planted in solos with happy frog (05/03) then transferred into current pots with ocean forest.
Gave two half doses of Jack’s two weeks ago but backed off in case the soil was still rich and I didn’t want to burn them. All other waterings have been phd tap water.
Currently under a hlg scorpion diablo at I believe 70% strength.

@dbrn32 was wondering if you’d be able to assist with this dilemma? Appreciate it!

1 Like

The issue appears to be the same on the photos in the flower tent.

1 Like

Based on timing i would say your soil is probably depleted and the two half strength feedings weren’t enough. Best way to confirm or rule out my thumb eyeball assessment is to take some ppm/tds readings of your next watering in and out.

1 Like

Distilled water with cal mag my best bet to see what’s in the soil?

I ended up doing one more feeding a day or two after you responded, then followed with a plain watering. The runoff was coming in around 1700-2000 ppm. What would be I guess I would call it a standard at what I want my ppm to be given the plant stage of life? I know every plant is different but is there anything with ideal ballparks just to have a starting point?

1 Like

Did you check your Ph on the run off too? My bet would be that it’s running high with PPMs like that in the soil. I’d give a watering or two with water Ph’d to the low 6 range and continue to monitor both until I see the PPMs dropping some.
I’m an expert at overfeeding, unfortunately I’m not an expert at noticing until I’m already going into lock out. :laughing:

I would say let the PPMs drop before adding more to the mix.

2 Likes

I did not, Ive just been ph’ing every watering to 6.5. I’m going to water shortly so I’ll go ahead and give that a try. The autos seem like they were doing better and the flower tent was getting the issues, but it seems to have reversed course again! A good amount of the leaves on the autos went yellow, I’ll have to check the runoff on those after I water them.
Ironically when it comes to nutrient issues, my first grow seemed to do the best :rofl: I was using my Amazon maxsisun lights and either Bergman’s nutes or the AN trio when I finished Bergman’s up. Never checked runoff, just spaced out the feedings.
Once I got the scription diablo up and my Jack’s nutes came in, I want to make the most of them haha like all here, I just can’t wait to get those hard,sticky, stinky buds that I was so fond of before growing my own :rofl: still gets the job done in the end, but my harvesting/curing might need more work then the growing aspect! Know of any good books or guides that dive into specifics? These forums are great but sometimes it would be nice to have the whole grow process in a book that breaks everything down.

1 Like

Most will start applying nutrients when runoff is around 1000ppm. In soil grow being around 2000ppm isn’t unheard of, some will be 3-4000ppm easy. But outside of major imbalance of nutrients i would agree this more likely from ph than anything else.

2 Likes

I ran out of time before work today so I’ll take ph and ppm of the runoff first thing in the morning. What would cause the pH to fluctuate to a point its affecting the plants ability to take in nutes the way it should be? I pH the water to 6.5 no matter what and it’s always the last thing that gets done before I water them.

Sure sucks to be a Browns fan right now…ughhhhh.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more!! People call me stupid but I was excited on the direction they were headed with baker prior to the sub par season last year. Now the new direction and all the coverage with the qb situation, i can only sit and wait for the next front office change and hopefully some new ownership! They pissed right into the wind and so many people around here are surprised their face is getting wet now.

I feel your pain…been on this couch waiting for a winning season at least once in my lifetime! Oh well, Go Buckeyes!

1 Like

So after watering yesterday, here are the numbers for the flower tent (each got 1 gallon of water them a half gallon of silica calmag)

Gf og- 870 ppm 6.3 ph
Ban kush- 819 ppm 6.3 ph
Purp haze- 1700 ppm 6.1 ph
Runtz- 1980 ppm 6.2 ph

I’ll get the #s for the autos next watering, they got nutes last go.

1 Like

That’s not too bad. The top 2 going to need base nutrients, probably as/more critical than the calmag and silica.

1 Like

Next watering I’ll give them Jack’s. This is the amount I’ve been using along with silica prior to adding the Jack’s. Any recommended tweaks or keep on going this route?

Jacks works pretty good for me. Shouldn’t need calmag with it, but you may need to run a little extra epsom.

What determines the need for extra epsom?

1 Like