Caligurl's 2021 Mushroom Grow

Are you going to massage or shake up that bag? One thing I learned is that after you do that, make sure the berries are compacted again… take the bag by the top and shake it downward to take out as many air spaces between each berry…

2 Likes

I’ve been meaning to, just haven’t yet. I’ll do that now, since you suggested it.

2 Likes

I’m so happy right now!!! We just harvested our first lemons and mandarins from our new fruit trees (about 2 years old)!!! And a few stray patio eggplants*

10 Likes

Awesome haul!! Congrats.

2 Likes

Fruit trees are a dream

2 Likes

We use to grow ponderosa lemons, but they would get too heavy and break the branches. All rhind though. Big as little league footballs. Never once stayed on the tree long enough to ripen. BTW, I don’t even shroom anymore and your tutorials are almost enough to make me want to just grow them out of fun. Very informative and so easy to follow!

4 Likes

Thank you!

Yes they are! We are actually taking down a few trees around the property to make room for fruit trees. We have cdeicded not to plant anything that requires water that doesn’t provide us food, or herbs, etc

5 Likes

@Borderryan22 I am also learning to grow other mushrooms. My current project is portobellos but they are grown a bit differently than this. I will journal it here after the shrooms are done so it doesn’t confuse anyone lol

7 Likes

Incredible plan

3 Likes

That is a very cool way of thinking. If more people started doing it I could only imagine the possibilities.

2 Likes

Looking great mam everything moving along great.

@Covertgrower she showed how to clone if u missed it sir. She has the pictures and all

4 Likes

Right? We waste so much water on grass and fountains and crap! People just don’t get that water is life…We need house it wisely/ We are in severe drought out here yet there are new vineyards going in all the time! How much wine do we really need? I see it being pulled off the shelves all the time…

1 Like

Quick peek at the monotubs. Coming along nicely. The second pic wit the line, to the right of the line is my GT grain that I thought had stalled. I did a small test area and it appears to be spreading just not as quickly. I guess I’ll find out if I get some different mushrooms growing there. Hopefully it does so I can make spore prints from them.

And here’s my setup in the grow tent. Could stand to raise the humidity a little but I opened the tubs super quickly and sprayed the lid with sterile water. I have the grow light that came with the kit I bought from Midwest and I covered it lightly with foil so it would dim it down a little and just give me ambient lighting.

I have my T5 ready to go when the pins appear.

8 Likes

Totally unrelated, but joined a mushroom foragers group and went on a foray this weekend… 1 pound of Bolete and a bunch that ended up not being edible (some poisonous others just not popular because of their taste).

5 Likes

Not sure what those mushrooms do but they are big. How are your tubs coming along? I have two cakes that haven’t produced, two more I just put in the fruiting chamber and two more hydrating for tonight.

2 Likes

They are all Bolete except the mushroom on the left (in pic where I’m holding 3).

This beauty is called a Matsutake and we were fortunate to find 4 of them! These things can sell for $$$. depending on size and shape anywhere from $50 to $200 a pound!

So my totes are doing ok… just checked and I have one tote with pins and one not but I’m going to case them today.

4 Likes

So one tote has pins and the other nothing yet, but I will be casing them later today with pasteurized coco coir.

8 Likes

That looks great. I am chomping at the bit to see that. Hopefully soon enough!

1 Like

So I failed at the photo thing. I forgot to take pics of the totes after I cased them in Coco Coir (pasteurized with hot water).

So I found 2 good shrooms where the veils had either just split apart from the cap and one that hadn’t quite yet.

I’ll be making spore prints again and basically starting from scratch. The one tote looks great but, the second one I think I will trash today. It has cobweb mold, I am able to keep it down with H202 but there are no pins showing on that tote at all, so I will just throw it away.

Good news is that my ‘homemade’ bulk substrate looks to be doing quite well…

I think the other one got contaminated because I used an old rye spawn jar that I thought had ‘stalled’ so I put a little in to see how it would go and I think it’s just adding more and more contamination which I definitely don’t want.

9 Likes