Caligurl's 2021 Mushroom Grow

The four that are less colonized are the ksss. The rest are b+ and gt

5 Likes

I tried KSS but I got zero mycelium… I think I got a bad spore syringe. I’m just glad I figured out how to make my own spore prints!

1 Like

Are you going to shake your jars?

1 Like

No it’s vermiculite and brown rice flour. It’s more of a cake or patty when it comes out of the jar. The grain jars and bags get shaken I believe.

1 Like

Ahhhh… got it!

1 Like

Should I be shaking my bag to help spread the mycelium?

3 Likes

My last dosage of around 10 grams was about 24 years ago. I was unable to shut my eyes for over 48+ hours with intense hallucinations. Very sick to my stomach, but what a wild ride. Of course, I have also poisoned myself with them as well, not fun at all.

4 Likes

If you are growing in whole grain, yes… if it’s supposed to be a ‘cake’ then no.

I’m using rye berries and after about 30% colonization, I shake them well enough that I can’t see actual white spots anymore. this distributes the mycelium throughout the whole jar and then you sit back and watch the mycelium explode!

2 days after shaking… I tighten the lids back up, then I just bang it against my hand or on a soft carpet, loosen the lids and let sit

6 Likes

Oh my! 10g is a lot! No wonder you thought you were poisoned LOL

I do 4… I know I could probably do 6 but 10? Yikes

4 Likes

I guess I have some shaking to do when I get home. The bag is over 1/2 colonized, but the growth seems to have slowed, so shaking it should help it take off again.
It looks like it’s a whole grain with multiple grains in it. Rye, wheat, and a few others in there.

4 Likes

Yup if it’s a bag just knead it until you disperse the mycelium throughout the bag

3 Likes

6 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

Normally try to get you shake on about 25%. Then hold on cuz it’s gonna be a fast recovery then ready to fruit👍

4 Likes

I guess I’ll order the substrate bag very quickly.

2 Likes

@Covertgrower, I made my own substrate yesterday. I’ll post pics and recipe later… it looks and feels EXACTLY like the bulk substrate bags from Midwestgrowers. Theirs is like $18 and my calculations puts me around $6! And I only have to wait 24 hours after I make it to use it!

Need:
500g brick of coco coir - $1.00
17 glasses of boiling water - free
1 Cup gypsum (I bought Plaster of Paris from HD for much less than gypsum) - box was $9.99 and has about 12 cups so $1.20
8 and 1/2 Cups fine vermiculite - Bag was $18.00 and has about 48 cups(?) so about $3.50

4 Likes

I haven’t tried it yet, but have heard amazing things about “DinoSoil”. I may order some at some point to try out.

Side benefit, it comes pasteurized and ready to roll apparently.

My current run I’m just using Canna Coco hydrated with boiling water.

3 Likes

First time shroom grower here, I am confident I can do that, eventually. First time around I’ll order the substrate, then I’ll definitely try and make my own. I have a pressure cooker to sterilize everything properly. Midwestguy uses popcorn to colonize, and I definitely will be trying a little bit of everything. Just have to get everything started with little chance of failure.

3 Likes

Dinosoil is $30 for 5 pounds! I’ll make my own.

How is your current run going with canna coco alone?

2 Likes

Not the cheapest solution by any means, but one less variable if what they say is true for a new grower…

Got my first pins just showing!

3 Likes