Caligurl's 2021 Mushroom Grow

Good luck! You should post pics here so I can see!!!

1 Like

Thanks @peachfuzz!
I actually used to document my husbands photography tutorials!

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Yeah, It’s a little dry jajajaja… but the end product will have your head spinning… literally jajajaja!

1 Like

I have to admit, I’ve always loved my iPhone, but a friend of mine that I hike with, has a new Android and her photographs are way better than mine!

3 Likes

Well, certainly at 3:30 AM after a poker game wasn’t the right time! :smile_cat:

3 Likes

Very nice, @Caligurl. There is a small community of shroom (psilocybin) growers here. The growing techniques are the same.

4 Likes

LOL… I was getting to that next! Basically, you turn the mushroom cap upside-down, put a single drop of water on the top, cover it up and 24 hours later, you have what is called a spore print. It is the spores (like seeds) for the mushroom… but they come out EXACTLY in the shape of the gills of the mushroom!
You ‘grow’ those spores to make more mushrooms so it’s basically 100% perpetual growing! See below for more into!

4 Likes

Oh yeah… here’s the rest of my 2nd flush of the last grow…

So once harvested, here’s how I dry them… first clean them off, cut them in half lengthwise and let them sit on parchment paper (and cover with parchment paper) until they get somewhat dry/limp…

then I pour desiccant (with indicating beads) into a tote, place a screen on top of that then put the shrooms on the screen and cover until the largest f the stems snap!

6 Likes

Right after I made the grain jars, I made a spore print like this:

Take a piece of aluminum foil and wipe it down with rubbing alcohol

Completely wipe down (inside and out) of a small bowl with rubbing alcohol:

Take one of the freshly cut mushrooms you want to grow and carefully remove the stem with sterilized knife or exact blade. Note: You want to choose a mushroom that either doesn’t have the veil broken or the veil has just started to drop:

Place it face down on the foil (right in the middle)

Then place a single drop of purified water on the top center of the cap:

Then cover with the bowl and let sit for at least 24 hours:

Now, carefully pull the cap straight up (you can use a toothpick if it helps) and there is your spore print!

Now, you want that print to dry for 24-48 hours but keep it slightly covered to allow air to get in… I use a few toothpicks around the bowl like this:

10 Likes

Oh wow! I was looking to see if there was a good forum category but didn’t see it! I’ll tag @PurpNGold74 to have him move this to the correct forum category!!!

Thanks!

2 Likes

I have an s 21 android…
It’s still a peice of crap…
Every phone I’ve ever had is…
It’s always updating crap and changing things…
I shut all that stuff off and it does it anyway…
Not sure if it’s my phone or on ilgm’s side…
Now , when I hit the add pic button, it go’s to a blank screen and there are no options as if ilgm isn’t sure what I’m trying to do…
I could always at least post snapshots of pics if nothing else , can’t even do that anymore…
Very frustrating…
I guess I’ll have to get my tech savvy kids to come and check it out for me… :man_facepalming:t4: :upside_down_face:
:v:t4: :sunglasses:

1 Like

OK, so the rye grain spawn jars are made and cooled off and I got my syringes from Amazon!

So get everything ready you need:

Rubber Gloves
Spore Print
Shot Glass
The jar of sterilized water
Knife
Syringe
Plastic Baggies for storage

Turn on your oven to 225, keep door closed until ready.
Spray your area down with Lysol.
Put on gloves and sterilize your hands and gloves with rubbing alcohol.

Sterilize the knife and shot glass with rubbing alcohol and place a rubbing alcohol soaked paper towel over then to keep them clean.

Open the oven door and place everything on the oven door or on top of the oven (like I did). The idea is that the gentle heat rising will also keep any contaminants raising instead of settling on your equipment.

Take your Sterilized water from when you made the spawn jars and spray down the outside with rubbing alcohol.

Scrape off the spore print into the shot glass.

Take out your syringe and heat the tip with a lighter until it is red, then wipe down with rubbing alcohol after it’s cooled a little.

Draw up 10 ml of sterilized water and immediately put the lid back on the mason jar.

Spray the syringe with sterilized water into the shot glass.

Draw up the water and spores into the syringe and squirt it back in and out about 6 times until well mixed.

Draw up the liquid spores, put cap back on syringe and place in a marked plastic baggie for later use (The liquid spores need to re-hydrate for about 3-4 days before you can inject your grain jar)

Just for giggles, I also made a Baby Portobello and Shitake Spore Syringe for later use!!!

The 'Shrooms are Elephant Dung

7 Likes

Dang it! I forgot to take pics of the inoculation of the spawn jars…

Anyway, here’s what I did…

1. Wiped down the entire kitchen area around the stove and sprayed with lysol.
  2. Turned oven on 250 f with door shut.
  3. Removed the spore syringes from the fridge
  4. Put on latex gloves and wiped them down with rubbing alcohol and part of my arms as well.
  5. Got the rye grain jars ready by removing the foil and wiping the top and sides of jar down with rubbing alcohol
  6. Open the oven door and I work on the stove top. Some people work on the oven door but I think the top is fine as long as you work close to the edge where the door is opened. The theory is that the heat from the over keeps misc crap/particles rising away from your work area.
  7. Remove the cap from the spore syringe and heat the tp of the needle with a lighter until it’s red hot. Let the cool for a few seconds and wipe it down with rubbing alcohol.
  8. Push the needle through the self-healing ports and squirt the spore liquid into the jar amazing towards the sides of the jar. I divided the syringe in half (1/2 for one jar and 1/2 for the other… that makes 5ml off spore liquid per jar.
  9. Place the foil back on top and set on the countertop away from direct light but it doesn’t need to be in darkness (from what I’ve been told LOL)

The mycelium run can take several weeks (last one took 5 total to get completely inoculated)

This isn’t my photo but here’s what it looks like when you put the syringe in the jar aiming for the sides…

images-3

7 Likes

So the waiting game begins… but until then, I had tried almost 2 months ago to get a run of Golden Teacher shrooms. When the jar got about 25-30% colonized, I shook the heck out of it (along with my Elephant Dung). The Elephant dung recovered nicely and ended up being fully colonized (my last grow). However, the Golden Teacher didn’t seem to recover and just stalled.

Flash forward to now, it still looks ok and seems to be moving along little bit. About 2 weeks ago, I took it out of the dark and set it on the shelf with ambient lighting…

6 Likes

Golden teachers, b+ and ksss

11 Likes

Cooliio!!! Looking good!

1 Like

Good luck! Post pics here as I’m learning this as I go!

1 Like

Looking good! Congratulations!

1 Like

Thank you. It’s my first go with mushrooms. Do you micro dose? How do you take them if you
don’t mind me asking.

1 Like

A cheap capsule press with 000 and get .5ish per cap. 1 a day does wonders for the mind.

2 Likes