Calibrating TDS meter with distilled water?

I dont think I get enough rain, most of the time, to rely on using it for a grow - do you just have a collection barrel under a gutter or something? What do you do when all the rain is snow?

I can access my water quality report online - I looked at it but had a very hard time understanding it. If I posted a link to that report on this thread would you (or anyone) be able to help me decypher it?

Yes I have a rain barrel and will see this winter how I deal with turning snow into water in subzero temps lmao :slight_smile: I have been thinking on that problem for a few weeks now?? I suspect I will simply add the snow to water and let buckets defrost it slowly in my shed

2 Likes

Yes, it would be helpful. Just be careful to remove and person identifying information and anything that might reveal a location a little too close, like maybe the exact city, etc.

~MacG

So I calibrated my ph tester to 7.0 - seems good
The highest reading I can get out of my TDS meter is 1380 in the 1500 solution! What am I doing wrong? I dont see a spot to stick the little screwdriver from the ph meter in to calibrate it - so how do I fix it? The instructions that came with it are useless and say nothing about calibrating it!

Edit: just tried it again and now Im reading 1480

Kept using the TDS meter and got the solution to show a nice even 1500 - happy about that - apparently theres no way to calibrate it, if it goes off course tho :confused:

EDIT: now tds tester going from 1550-1600

SUPER CONFUSING:
Straight out of the tap its showing me 60-62 ppm
The water from my fridge dispenser, mind you it is filtered, is showing me 298 ppm???

Edit: did it in a pyrex bowl and its showing 57-60 for filtered now

Can anyone explain how the filtered water could have more ppm than the tap?

Edit: This TDS tester I got is NOT the one in the picture and there is no hole/way to adjust/calibrate it - Im starting to think I got a fake/knockoff meter.

@MacGyverStoner

Someone please help!

If you want pure water no matter what the source, (think mudhole) then buy a Berkey water filter for your drinking/cooking water. I live off grid and use water collected from my roof and this is the only water filter i have used for over 7 years. You can even save money buy just buying the filters and spigot separate and use 2, 5 gallon water buckets instead of buying the pricey fancy ones.

If your fridge filter hadn’t been used for a bit, you might have picked up some suspended activated charcoal which skewed the reading. At 60 ppm you don’t need a filter. MINE OUT OF THE TAP IS 550 PPM!

IMO anything under 200ppm is decent depending on what is in it high iron or cal can create issues if your water changes colour left in a glass overnight or you get white film on glass as it evaporates you may want filter if not it is usually work able. PPM of moving water and or full of suspended gasses can differ my meters all push button cal so very easy to check and adjust

I’m glad I now pay more attention to you guys. I got my TDS advice in the wrong place and fortunately had no real problems. I’m getting a good education quickly. The next grow will be much better and much less worrying

@OldSkunk

I’M happy for you and i’m glad i could help. Any time you need help, just ask and we’ll do our best to help.

Will joint

1 Like

Can someone tell me the difference between TDS-2 and TDS-3? Is one better than the others? I think I need to buy a new TDS stick as this one seems to be a knockoff that I cant calibrate!

The difference between TDS-2, TDS-3, and TDS-4 is more about the number of functions or features the meter may have, or the “model” generation, not an indication of quality or precision.TDS-4 is the newest and smallest model from HM digital.

FROM HM DIGITAL: The TDS-3 and TDS-4 both measure the same range of Total Dissolved Solids (TDS), 0-9990 ppm.
The TDS-4 is one of the smallest and lightest TDS meters on the market. It’s designed and packaged for retail use.
The TDS-3 on the other hand was designed more for commercial use. It includes a digital thermometer and comes with a nice vinyl carrying case with a belt clip. It’s ideal if you’re out in the field a lot.
Please visit our website to make sure you are finding the right TDS meter for your needs: www.tdsmeter.com

~MacG

@MacGyverStoner
I def got one of the fake ones he is talking about - but mine doesnt even have the screw hole on the back to calibrate it.

I already put in my request for a refund from ebay for “product not as advertised” since the picture shows a completely different TDS stick.
Im gonna get one from Amazon this time - from the Top Rated category. Can find a good one for $10-$15. Hopefully will work right, and have a way to calibrate it. LoL

The ph pen seems to work fine though, seems good at least! So half the package appears good haha - hoping I can get a full refund and move on…

Make sure you get a TDS meter that can read above 999PPM, some of the less expensive ones for drinking water won’t be able to read above that number, and many nutrient formulas go to 1200PPM or above.

I will answer your other questions that would take me a lot longer to read and respond to when I have a chance. I just answered some of the ones I could give you a quick response on.

I have to focus most of my attention on members in the Bergman’s Lab paid forum. If you want a lot more personal attention and possibly quicker responses, that is the place where I spend most of my time. You are more than welcome to join.

happy growing,

MacG

2 Likes

Thanks! I didnt even realize there was a “paid forum” but I appreciate you getting back to me as fast as you do!

@MacGyverStoner how can we just donate to this site? I’d be happy to donate time and money to help this site continue.

1 Like

Hey if youre handing out free money… :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed::wink: lol
This site is incredible isnt it? All these awesome people, giving up their time to help us! So glad I found it!

1 Like

@xDeeTeRx nothing is free. I enjoy this site and have no issues throwing a few bucks their way to keep it up and running. As to time, i am on and off the site a few times a day and would be willing to help if i can.

2 Likes