Calcium Hypochlorite in Res water

My question is in using calcium hypochlorite in an aeroponic cloning machine to keep the res water clean from pathogens. Several weeks ago I was reading a post in the forum where a member talked about this, however I cannot locate the post again.
Any info from members who have used this before and ratios for proper use would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1 Like

@TDubWilly @kabongster @garrigan62 @Bogleg @Aquaponic_Dumme any ideas?

1 Like

Outside of my limited repository of knowledge. Happy to look into it though.

2 Likes

This looks like some good reading (hope the link is okay) on the subject:

I could see using it in between grows, but not sure I personally would use it DURING a grow - especially considering I use beneficial bacteria and enzymes in my reservoirs.

3 Likes

The link works and reading through it now, I see where they have the info for cleaning between grows.

1 Like

Cool - I’m more concerned with the link not violating forum rules. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Nothing being sold so you’re good. Thanks for finding that article! Another good disinfectant (used in the beer and spirit industry) called paracetic acid. I have extensive experience with that substance but again would not be for during a grow but sterilizing everything. Like H2O2 it volatilizes away with no residue.

2 Likes

after reading through the article I would agree with you that best use is for cleaning between grows, it does talk about using it during grows but all the cautionary info about that is enough to discourage me from use during a grow. Good info Bogleg, many thanks.

1 Like

I am not familure with paracetic acid, Is it common and inexpensive to obtain?

1 Like

It should be. Look in brewer’s supply houses.

Not cheap but you don’t need much.

The technical term is peroxi-acetic acid; a stable compound of the two substances.

Thank you :smiley:

1 Like

I too had to look it up too.

It’s chlorine bleach. Never use it during the grow

2 Likes

Its UC roots by current culture, fyi. works well but expensive.

1 Like

It’s typically used to shock a swimming pool.

1 Like

I don’t use it while I grow any more, but its an awesome cleaner, dilution 15 mils per liter.

im always running out of peroxide, I have some left over and I always gave a good quality steriliser

kettle thank you that is a great tip!