Calcium deficciency 'discovered' a week into flower

So I thought I was growing successfully, but ended up with a calcium deficiency because of my lack of knowledge of coco growing. Had a big conversation with a couple people with a previous post, they asked I get the PH and EC, which took some time to figure out and get the PH and EC meters, Anyway, i finally got the numbers, and don’t know what to do with or about them:
Today the run off is:
PH 7.0
ec 2.2
PPM 500 1090
PPM 7001520

I did the nutes Sunday. I normally do Friday but was hoping to get some advice on what to adjust, when I didn’t I went ahead Sunday and gave them what is listed here:

With an extra half tsp of CalMG+ (Hoping that and CaliMagic can swap out ??)

I also got the PH of the solution down to 5.8 and their normal water supply down to 5.8 as well

If there’s anything else I should do to get the calcium up more quickly at this point or any other recommendations, I would sure appreciate hearing them!

Thanks!

Hey Mick, I’ll take a stab at this…optimum range for calcium uptake is 6.0-7.0. For a coco grow, 7 is higher than you want to see your runoff. I would think high ph in the medium caused a calcium lockout. I went through this as well. The advice I got was to flush with 5.8 until the runoff ph was under control, then resume, closely checking your runoff each ti.e you feed. Also, I do t know how often you feed, but you dont want coco to completely dry out, or you will have salt buildup issues, which will cause your ph to be high. I feed every 3rd day to runoff, sometimes I’ve missed it and went 4th day. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Thanks Mickey, I’ll see where it’s at today and flush if necisary. I forgot to note clearly that I HADN’T been using any CalMG+ up till now. One of the folks in the other thread pointed out that coco needs calcium and magnesium supplements. So once it’s at 5.8 or so, should I do anything to boost calcium immediately (to make up for the deficiency) or should I just get back on the schedule with the CalMG+ added to it?
Thanks again!

1 Like

If it were mine (im no expert by any means) and your ph runoff was good, I would give them a normal feeding with cal mag. See where your runoff is and go from there. I dont think those spotted leaves will repair themselves, so I would give them what Botanicare says on the Calmag+
(3-5ml per gallon? Verify that, I’m going from memory) and make sure you dont see any new signs of deficiencies. Once that ph is stable and in the zone, they should be happy.

How are you mixing your nutes? I got confused after reading that.

I USED TO put the nutes in a jug then add Berkey filtered water, but I read in the last few days that you should ALWAYS add the nutes TO water, and not just combine the nutes and then add water, so this time I filled the jug half way, added the nutes, shook well, topped off, then cheeked the PH and added just a hint of PH down and shook again…

After that I adjusted the feed water down to 5,8 PH as well.

Previously I had just filled with the filtered water with no PH adjustment in the water, or nutes.

1 Like

And I had no idea that PH was a big deal, so you’re doing fine!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a bit of experience with coco and I have a couple of observations:

cal mag per the package at waterings, not feedings. A flush might be necessary as you may have some salt buildup you do NOT want to release all at once. I try to keep the PH at or just slightly above coco range: 5.8 to 6.0. That’s what seemed to be the sweet spot for my grows.

Nutrient load in veg, my target TDS is 900 ppm. In flower it’s around 1,300 ppm. There simply is no necessity to go higher.

I would also be on a feed water feed water cycle at this point. If you have some Epsom Salts you can dose 5 ml/gallon along with the cal mag. That will put some mag sulfate in the mix; a good thing.

3 Likes

There is also a correct order in which to add nutes to the water. I didnt understand how that could make a difference until my daughter, who was taking organic chemistry, explained. All about how things bind together. So if you are using a nute line with an A and B, first mix the A in your water, then B, then Cal Mag, then any other supplimentals. Then adjust ph. Some nutes say feed right away, some say let sit. I’ve done both, but since having ph issues, I’m paranoid so that gets checked a final time right before they get fed. Also, water temp matters. If your temps are 80°, and you feed with 60° water, there is a shock risk. I believe a 10° difference in temps is a good range. My ph meter has a temp reading.

Im not sure if this makes a difference or not but i was told over & over to use calmag on water days, not feed days.

Thanks! I’m learning a LOT in this situation!

You are money ahead having your daughter explain why you need to do that. And that’s the exact reason you don’t want to drop them in bucket and then add water.

Something to watch for is exactly what each bottle is using. A lot of times your part A and calmag will have same chemical compounds, calcium nitrate for example. In these case or in a situation where you’re using silica, you will always see it recommended to be put in completely opposite of each other.

A little tip I picked up along the way was to make sure you mix the life out of solution and then mix it more before adding that last compound. Then take that dose and dilute it and mix it well before stirring into your final solution.

1 Like

So rather than adjusting what I do, i want to be open to doing something else completely;

What I had been doing (and somehow I got lucky and got a few ‘decent’ harvests out of) was using 6ml of Flora Micro and 9Ml of floronova bloom (not sure why not grow, but that’s what I was told to use) in a gallon of water once a week for two plants in coco, and clear water every 6 hours for 45 seconds (it’s suddenly occurring to me that I should probably measure what volume I get out of that!). I expect the folks who recommended the mix, just didn’t know I was using coco, so I clearly need to add the CalMG+ if nothing else, but if there’s another formulation or schedule, I’m open to it…

Also, as I told the folks in the other thread, my local farm shop is clearing out a lot of stuff and gave me a tote of nutes etc for $50 or so. If any of these are useful or something to consider, please let me know.

Thanks everyone!

1 Like

@Myfriendis410 Hi I was reading your post and I have a question if you don’t mind, I’m new to checking the strength of my nuts. using a t.d.s. meter. I’m using g.h. Flora Trio, calmag, Si, and Hydroguard. I’m following a feeding chart that I got from a site called Grow Weed Easy, after I add all the nutrients aand p.h. my r.o. water my tds only reads in the low 300 inflow and 400 on the runoff, the chart reads that I should be somewhere around 950 to 1200. My plants are going on their 3rd week and they look healthy, I’m feeding with every water, and that is every 2 days. Can you tell me why my numbers are so low compared to what the chart says? Is there a difference in numbers when it comes to t.d.s and p.p.m.or are there different types of meters. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 Like

@mick. Glad everyone is helping you out. Not sure if you know but if you put the @ symbol in front of name like @GreenJewels it will notify them and usually people help out fairly fast. Especially if you tag a few people. :v::green_heart:

@GreenJewels hey if your still here can I ask you a question on t.d.s or p.p.m?

I’m probably not the best person to ask :grin: but I’ll try to help. And I can let you know who can :slightly_smiling_face:. Have you calibrated your TDS meter?
You should start a journal so everyone can keep an eye on your progress and help out. :v:

@GreenJewels, I have nothing to check it against. My question is 2 posts up from here, rather than type it all out again. And also how would I calibrate my TDs meter?

Do you still have the papers that it came with?

I think so, let me check.

You’re using a modified Lucas formula. If you look for information on that in coco you’ll probably find more info than you want.

2 Likes