C02 and water vapor

The two main byproducts of natural gas combustion are carbon dioxide and water vapor,

13m

• [

last reply

](Sand bags as grow bags - #2 by Freespace5000)

1m

view

user

[![|45x45](https://sea2.discourse-cdn.com/growingmarijuana/user_avatar/ilgmforum.com/freespace5000/45/492626
1m

also found some 15 inch by 4 inch deep pans at farm and fleet for 3 bucks, they are pans for changing your auto oil.

I’m a gas service tech so you caught my attention in the first line but was wondering where it was going lmao

1 Like

Putting tent in basement, The two main byproducts of natural gas combustion are carbon dioxide and water vapor, my version of boosting co2, moisture and a little heat to tent, about 20 feet from heater to tent so not worried about being to hot, exhaust fan will be vented outside and only run when lights are on. I will control air flow with damper, . between this and the Pulse Generator 7.83HZ Schumann Wave Generator Ultra-Low Frequency, I believe I can boost production by 40 to 70 percent.
of course will have to be monitored and tweaked a little, but I believe this will work.
I know hillbilly is in my blood,

here u go

This seems like a terribly unsafe plan.

2 Likes

nope, co2 will only be drawn in when exhaust fan running, pipe will only be next to flue,.it will draw air and some exhaust from heater. only time you will have boost of c02 is when heater starts to heat water, all metal pipe set at upward angle. but yr right, not for the non mechanical inclined people. yes there will be a smoke and fire extinguisher close at hand anyway. all grow areas should have them.

What lights are you using, and how large is your grow area?

4 by 4 tent in drafty cold old basement. right now just a 1000 w led light and 2 5000 watt led garage lights, just getting things set up, nothings up and running yet, just a couple of plants along with a tomato or two, and a few other vegs. just personal use stuff, .I love science, and Appling it in my own way. I developed a hydrogen generator for my car that was encased in graphite, worked pretty good, got over 40 miles to gallon in a old park avenue. but alas I found nothing that could stand up to harsh environment of electroless.

I’m going to make an assumption, that the 1000w light is an import, similar to other “1000w LED” lights sold on Amazon. If that’s true, unfortunately you’re probably dealing with much lower draw values. Draw values are only useful for estimating coverage, but estimations can be pretty good.

Many of us have been duped by the unscrupulous sellers on Amazon. They call lights “1000w equivalents” which is just wrong.

If you have a lot of light, or you are fighting to keep temperatures ideal, CO2 supplementation above atmospheric levels is worth considering.

From another post I wrote on the topic:

It’s true that our indoor environments are generally ~25% below optimal photosynthesis due to CO2 levels. I can’t emphasize enough that in order to achieve optimal photosynthesis indoors one needs a comprehensive plan which maximizes PPFD, maintains ideal leaf surface temperature, and seals the CO2 into the space.

At a molecular level, cannabis absorbs and transforms CO2 and H2O to form C6H12O6 (sugar). These molecular processes are sensitive to temperature and light energy; when temperatures are too high, RuBisCO (an amino acid) bonds to oxygen instead of carbon, and the affected molecules are lost through photorespiration. It’s an enormous waste of the plant’s time and resources. If there’s an excess of light energy (PPFD) the plants simply waste the energy, unless the energy is so great it kills chloroplasts and bleaches the plant. CO2 concentration, leaf surface temperature, PPFD, and percentage of potential photosynthesis are all inextricably linked.

Earth’s atmosphere has an abundance of CO2(>400ppm in 2020), as far as C3 plants like cannabis are concerned. Ventilation can supply the grow area with enough CO2 to support a “reasonable” PPFD. Atmospheric CO2 isn’t capable of supporting 100% of the plant’s photosynthetic potential, but my understanding is that the only risk is we over-light the plant and waste money. I do not know if an excess of light will cause RuBisCO to bond to oxygen to the detriment of the plant’s growth. Conveniently, LEDs are more efficient at lower currents, so we can potentially dim our lights to match the limited CO2 in the air.

CO2 enrichment is useful if you’re looking to maximize output per plant, and can provide a tightly sealed grow area with an excess of 500 PPFD; however, unless you seal in the CO2, it will diffuse into the atmosphere. If you are ventilating your tent while the lights are on, the CO2 levels will seek equilibrium with the fresh air. I’m trying to be precise, but I’m basically saying this example wastes CO2 and money. I’d like to note that CO2 isn’t required during the scotoperiod in cannabis, so ventilate your dark grow rooms, please.

If you have a sealed grow room and 1200 PPFD at 79F LST, then CO2 enrichment is going to give you that additional yield. I hope my explanation elucidates that there’s a cost-benefit to CO2 enrichment.

Lastly, I don’t judge anyone for spending their own time and money on a bag of mushrooms or a fermentation. You aren’t hurting me, although even small increases in CO2 levels are detrimental to human wellness. I hope this information empowers and informs your decisions growing forward.

Back to your situation:

I’m concerned about carbon monoxide.

Past that, simply drawing fresh air into the tent provides ample CO2. So an elaborate system to introduce CO2 isn’t necessary. I think you’re better off saving money to buy high quality lighting, if I’m correct, and your current setup is deficient.

5 Likes

Okau first off c02 and water vapor are by products when its burned clean. But thats not the case all the time. You also get aldehydes and carbon MONOXIDE. More often that not you’ll have carbon monoxide. If the flame is not blue 100 percent of the time then its not burning clean. A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. @KeystoneCops your are 2000 percent right that that set up is unsafe. I work with natural gas for a living and have to go through a ton of testing and training to be able to do it. You can’t smell the carbon monoxide but it will be there garenteed. I always get small readings when im doing inside inspections because no water heater or furnace is burning gas 100 percent cleanly. Please don’t do this.

5 Likes

I cant even justify this with a response honestly

3 Likes

As a hvac and boiler mechanic I agree completely, this is unsafe. There are some pretty safe ways to generate co2 safely. Also if mechanically inclined can set up a co2 tank w regulator and an electric solenoid connected to a thermostat that monitors indoor air quality. If using co2 the need to monitor the levels cannot be over emphasized the plants can only use so much and at a certain level you or someone you care about and even pets can die in your tent or basement.

4 Likes

They’re right :point_up_2:

Beyond that, you probably don’t need co2, and you would likely do just as good running exhaust fan continuously.

If you absolutely wanted to do something like this, seems like ventless heater would be more safe option.

1 Like

my tent, my grow, my money, my time, my wine/shine fermentations do not last long enough to be usable. Already have garage lights on hand. yes planning on upgrade in future, any lights will work if adjusted properly. got 2 plants started right now in large Tupperware with alum foil sides and top with with small led grow light. they are small and compact, doing wonderful, got old stainless steel bread box. gonna set on side cut hole for top light and drill vent holes for germination. has wide door, this will work also. been gardening all my life, install all appliances water, furnace ect .If I can’t fix my cars nobody can, they go to junk yard, not worth fixing, my basement is so drafty not even worried about buildup. windows are open 8 months out of year so daughters dam cat can get in and out, I am not some urban city boy. that’s never changed a tire., drawing a little co2 off the water heater to supplement plants, if it works great, if not soo what, save your god complex’s for someone that gives shit what you think,
[Dieselgrow1031, [KeystoneCops] your training has given u tunnel vision, you have forgotten how think outside the box. this post will be deleted soon and I will never darken these pages again. you can brainwash others into thinking ur way is the only way. GOOD DAY SIRS.

I’m sorry, but you do not get to decide what stays and what doesn’t.

You are not the only country boy that thinks outside of box here either. Unfortunately, that doesn’t make your plan any more safe. Thousands of people get sick and even die from carbon monoxide poisoning every year, and that is without inviting issues like this. Please DO NOT do this.

3 Likes

I’m a country boy too but only difference is I use my brain

2 Likes

Wow!!! I’m not going to follow this. Almost feel like it makes us participants in the probable bad outcome.

2 Likes

You can set up co2 with a 2 liter bottle and some yeast and some plastic tubing. Why go through all the trouble of doing all that dumb shit when there’s way better ways of supplementing c02. Not having a god complex. And before you think everyone’s a urban city boy use your brain. You come to this forum for help from other people for the best ways of bettering your grow and get butthurt when we say that its a bad idea. Natural selection will take place and ill be reading about you on the news

I dont need some guy telling me I have a god complex. Like I said a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. Uncle Jim who knows a thing or 2 about a thing orb2 does a gas heater install next thing you know it rockets out of the roof or something. I dont like to argue but honestly you try to tell someone not to do sometimes then they think they know it all and it becomes this whole big thing.

Don’t share advice that could potentially get yourself or someone else killed, and you will be fine. This entire topic is going away

2 Likes