Buying extra seeds

How long can you store seeds? Say you bought a bunch and didn’t plant them all at once ,how long can you store them

1 Like

Seeds will remain viable for years if stored properly in a cool, dark, dry space.

8 Likes

what-he-said-look-up

I keep mine in Rubbermaid sealed containers in my closet, a lot of growers keep them in the refrigerator I never have

5 Likes

How long are they good for ?

3 Likes

Like they said above…years if you store them properly.
I have just sprouted a 2 year old Northern Lights Auto. No problem at all.
It cracked and broke ground just like a new seed.

1 Like

Until someone stole my box I had seeds from the 80s that 3 of 5 would pop

2 Likes

Thanks! I am planning on stockpiling some seeds just in case you never know. Just wanted to make sure I was not wasting my money

2 Likes

Best way to do that is maybe 5-10 seeds stored with Stormy. I am sure he can keep them growing…errr…stored for you.

2 Likes

Refrigerator is a excellent place to store your seeds an they will keep for years.

The Seed Vault, carved into virgin solid rock was opened on 26 February 2008. The seed storage area itself is located more than 100 meters inside the mountain, and under layers of rock that range between 40 and 60 meters thick.

Cooled to minus 18°C

The mountain mass has permafrost, with a stable temperature of between minus 3 and 4°C. The seed storage area has an additional cooling system, to bring the seed storing temperature to minus 18°C and ensure that it remains constant. Electricity for the Seed Vault is provided by the public power plant in Longyearbyen. In addition, the Seed Vault is equipped with generators that provide electricity in the case of a power outage.

The seed store facility consists of three halls, each with a base measuring about 9.5 x 27 meters. Each hall can accommodate about 1.5 million seed samples, thus giving the Seed Vault a total capacity to store 4.5 million seed accessions. To date, the holdings in the Seed Vault are close to 900,000 seed samples. Only one of the three halls is in use, cooled to minus 18°C and equipped with shelves for seed boxes. When this hall reaches capacity, the second storage hall will be prepared and cooled to the level needed for seed conservation.

1 Like