Buyer beware on complete grow set ups

This is my first indoor grow (or any real grow) so for what it is worth:

I bought a complete set up. Covert 3x4 tent. So far it seems every single component needs to be replaced, other than the tent. Yeah, these package deals seem like great value and will keep plants alive and grow a crop but they won’t perform well enough to grow a really good crop.

I have replaced:

150 watt UFO light for LED 600 watt. Another $460

The carbon filter has not done well 6 weeks or so in, and now looking to buy a better filter. Looking online now but looking at spending anywhere from $50 to $120

The inline fan is just not good enough…so looking at inline fans and that seems to be another $150 or more.

The little clip on fan was not the kind that would work with the round tent poles. Nor does it oscillate. Ordered one that is specific for grow tent poles and oscillates. $35

The small cannister type fan to bring air in is just so so. The small clip fan they sent was not really good to repurpose for that, so keeping the cannister but added a $8 fan from Walmart to bring air in from roof port.

Which pretty much means the ENTIRE set up other than the tent needs to be replaced to truly be able to succeed with an indoor grow.

Yeah, it got me started. I mean I had zero clue what so ever on what was needed for a grow tent and where to even look. I know that now. The hard way.

Just things to consider. Learn from my mistake. If you absolutely have to buy full set up kit due to monetary reasons, just know you are most likely not going to get near the crop you could have got with buying each component necessary.

All in all the girls are thriving…just the latest is the whole filter thing. I can say I have learned more about components this way. As our family motto has always seemed to be: we have to take the field trip to learn something. :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

I wouldn’t lump all kits into the same category. I’m sorry you had a bad experience, though.
I have recommend the growershouse 4x4-1000HID-S complete kit to many people, all of whom were very satisfied.

2 Likes

That is good to know. I just think what I ended up with was entry level. When they didn’t even tell me the brand names of the components that should have been a red flag.

4 Likes

Your plants look nice and healthy.

2 Likes

I think to be fair complete kits are like LED lights. We all know how diverse those can be. I have seen kits I wouldn’t grow tomatoes in on the other hand there are kits out there @TommyBahama has put people on to that are happy with what they have. I think what’s happened is you are more aware than most and have ended up disappointed with an inferior product. I suspect the next thing to get changed will be the tent or repurposed for veg or similar. Having said that your plants look good

3 Likes

There’s no good kits I have seen on amazon. The better set ups come from real grow shops.

4 Likes

You know I think you are right. We are planning on building a metal building next spring and have a grow room in one area. Honestly, I had no idea I could even be this successful, nor how much I was going to enjoy.

Thanks y’all on the plant compliment. I attribute it to tons of studying and reading and doing my very best to keep everything in correct parameters such as nutrients, lights, pH, temp etc. and I keep a very close eye on them. This forum has been invaluable. The blogs here, too.

6 Likes

they look very happy! Sorry you are not.

1 Like

I am very happy with the plants. It is just that the whole process has been a replacing and upgrading, that has got frustrating.

2 Likes

I got mine from what I still believe is a reputable hydroponic dealer. Such that i won’t disservice them by naming them or calling them out. I get that they do this to allow people to get into this. It is just frustrating and as much my fault for being a complete newbie at this. I probably will just delete the thread as I am not a complainer. Just frustrated to be replacing the inline exhaust fan. :flushed:

1 Like

@KikiGee I wouldn’t delete the thread as it’s useful for someone looking at buying a kit. It’s an honest review by someone who has nothing to gain and has pointed out some of the shortcomings of pre assembled deals :sunglasses:

1 Like

It happens to us alot of us in the beginning due to lack of knowledge, budget and the simplicity of a all in one kit. I don’t think I use anything except the tent from my kit. I have upgraded and upgraded the upgrades to my current set ups. Just remember those inferior products have a use to someone even it’s just temporary.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I appreciate the encouragment. I just cringe when I complain. This was just frustrating. And really kind of funny as every single element failed. I mean, seriously! Can 2020 get any worse? Other than being tested for COVID on Monday as all testing places closed for holiday, with what feels like flu on steriods. But I can’t believe I have it, as I have been socially distancing my entire life. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Well that sucks , hope you get thru it quickly and get past it.

1 Like

Thank you. Able to sit up and eat a bit now. I will say that Citradelic Sunset has helped the neck stiffness some.

2 Likes

We have all bought kak in the past. Jeez I have loads of it. Good luck on the covid thing, my brother in Canada had the same and tested negative :sunglasses:. As for the social distance thing I hear you. I’m the same with crowds, just don’t do them. You’re not complaining either you’re sharing a shit thing that happened to help others and stop them stepping in the same shit. This is good yes :sunglasses:

1 Like