Burnt Tips on Upper leaves - Grandaddy Purp Auto

Hi guys,

I’ve tried searching for a picture on the forum for something similar to my situation but it seems somewhat small compared to some of the images I have seen.

Essentially my leaves, close to the light, are turning yellow. None of the leaves anywhere else on the plant are being affected. I have a spider SF1000 that can be adjusted accordingly. As the plant has entered flowering, I have been trying to increase the light. I’ve increased the height of the light, and decreased the light to 60% power.

Any advice is much appreciated as this is my first grow.

1 Like

Bottom line it all starts with light. Temp and humidity are a close second. You need to know your light intensity. If your light is too strong for the plant it can cause the photosynthesis to increase which increases demand for nutrients, water, CO2, etc…. Pulling more nutrients can cause tip burn. ‘Painting her fingernails’ so to speak. Heat can also cause it which is why I mention temp and humidity which go hand in hand.

1 Like

How close is your light to the plant? It looks more like nute burn to me. Did you change your feed schedule?

3 Likes

Like @Capt.Cola said.

1 Like

My light is roughly 18-21 inches away from the plant. Feed schedule has maintained around the same. Maybe I should lower the amount of calmag I’m feeding? If it is nute burn, wouldn’t all of the leaves have burnt tips? None of the lower ones seemed to be affected

1 Like

I had the same tiny bit on mine and they turned out great. Doesn’t look like anything major in my limited experience

Looks like a little nute bun not anything to worry about welcome

Same happened to mine, I noticed it started spreading to more than just the top nodes which more than likely is nutrient burn from excess nutrients. I am using hydro so I was advised to either add plain ph water to dilute some of the nutrients or flush with plain ph water then add lower dose of nutes. Not sure the steps for soil or even coco.
I chose to dilute my nutes with plain ph water to see how it does. It worked for my girls, the burn halted.
Hope you figure it out…

Happy grow…

Thanks all for your help, I will continue to monitor and share pics. Glad to be part of this community.

1 Like

We actually like painted finger nail tips. Means u r pushing her 2 her max. You can check my current journal and see my girls also have them

4 Likes

concur with @SilvaBack203

push your plants to the limit. they can take way more abuse than what’s shown.

3 Likes

also, welcome to the community. looks like you could do with some LST. your plants look great and we all want you to have the biggest harvest possible.

1 Like

I’ll pull them over tomorrow and bring on some more light to see how they handle it. Thanks for your input! I’m hoping for a decent yield

1 Like

I agree with the nutrient burn. It’s nit light intensity.
Leafs are way to green. If light was causing it, the leafs at top at ieast would be yellowing and tips would have probably died and turn brown by now.

1 Like

While I agree tip burn is a common practice for growing, when I say light intensity I don’t mean the intensity of the light is burning the tips. I mean the intensity of the light is increasing photosynthesis which increases every other function of the plant (i.e. water usage, nutrient usage, CO2 usage, etc…).

Saying it’s nutrient burn leads the grower to think too many nutrients are being provided. That could be the case. …but more likely the tip burn is a symptom of a bigger issue. The plant is telling you something.

Increased photosynthesis could be increasing nutrient usage and that could be burning the tips. The cause could be light intensity. Without a good PPFD or DLI reading the OP won’t know.

At 18” it could be heat and humidity issue. Likewise, without a good VPD reading (RH, room, and leaf temp) the OP won’t know.

Set up the conditions (VPD and DLI) and provide nutrients and hydration and the plant with take care of the rest.

4 Likes

I’m with @Capt.Cola minimal Nute burn. Welcome to the community @HunterT23

2 Likes

I did some LST training today to hopefully get some of those lower buds blooming although I believe I’m a bit late to the party at this point, but if anything it’s been an awesome learning experience.

Thanks everyone for chiming in and giving me advice.

1 Like

Hi all,

Been 10 days since I checked in last. Flowering seems to be coming along okay. Please excuse my poor LST’ing :joy: I tried. Next time will be better. It seems some of the buds are maturing faster than others, but I do have some really nice buds forming. Very excited for this batch to finish.

2 Likes

Nice looking lady

Smoking buds before too awfully long. Well done