Bulldognuts First Grow Journal

Thanks, @Nicky. This is the absolute best reason for anybody to do a grow journal. So people can inform you of what you don’t. I see a light that I think is probably my best option, don’t know enough to know why I think that. When I have more time I will be asking about using TDS meter. I think you have seen my post about cal-mag issues on my last grow. I had upped lights didn’t know anything about how lighting can affect plants use of cal-mag. Not going to be using any nutrients until I get readings from over flow. I do need to ask about when I should start adding cal-mag. I’ve seen where people start using it early in veg, I just am not sure when or if I should. Getting ready to go into work.

2 Likes

I run my rspec at around 32000 for veg calc on hlg website phone says that’s about 500 ppfd which is max you want for extended veg without co2 not sure what plc strips are but im sure not to far from that.

1 Like

I downloaded one and didn’t like it, but I don’t remember which one. Was two phones ago, sorry.

2 Likes

The better the phone the better the reading i have an lg g8xthinq and my wife has the samsung Galaxy 10 and her readings are much more accurate then mine so I use hers to set until I get meter ordered

1 Like

I’ve got new 10s. Thanks for the advice. Do you know about how much a lux meter runs.

20-30$ lol… We pay more for our PH pens, but the difference in accuracy I don’t think is worth it, although if you buy one measure it against your two phones and let’s see the difference.

@EastCoastP6
32k = 500 PPFD. = 32.4 DLI
39k =600 PPFD =38.8 DLI

As you can see from above much can be gained in veg from a higher PPFD /DLI for the majority of the veg cycle.

3 Likes

The chart just shows recommended DLI levels doesn’t it?

2 Likes

It does, I Geuss I should have clarified with @Bulldognuts the age of your plants to make this more accurate

2 Likes

Once again Thanks @dbrn32 @Nicky

2 Likes

All strains are different tho but this is what I go off of. after so much light its usless unless adding co2 just wastes is what ive always got from it. Light meter I wouldnt buy anything under 100$+ if using something other then your phone.

1 Like

Daily light integral is the explanation to where those number come from. Contrary to what most believe, the plants don’t need higher light intensity just because they are flowering. They need more light intensity to make up the difference in amount of time the lights are on. A ppfd average of 600 umols per second for 12 hours is the same amount of energy as a ppfd average of 400 umols per second for 18 hours.

5 Likes

That makes things alot easier for me to understand when put that way

2 Likes

@dbrn32 thanks for chiming in man.

@EastCoastP6 yeah HLG has a chart there but it does a poor job for cannabis growers in the aspect of the way it’s laid out and explained as far as PPFD goes at least the rest is great.
This is why I refrained from posting the same or different PPFD chart and stuck to the DLI graph.

Now when it comes to a LUX meter the tech isn’t expensive and I think a 30$ meter would be calibrated and out preform a 1500$ phone to be honest but a PAR meter is a different story.

Imo, it’s easier to buy light that gives you total ppf. From there your ppfd average is simply amount of light over area. To get a true sense of ppfd average otherwise, you would need to plot your space to probably 100+ measurements and run the math.

Do our HLG’s provide that? What’s it on my 320xl for example

1 Like

Hlg provides chart for 288 boards that wi give you estimate of ppf at given current.

But then you need to measure your current and they don’t provide a built in readout =(

Driver current is listed on the driver.

Right but it’s adjustable… Is it not?

Yup. You should buy to flower at full power. From there a 33% reduction in power and 33% in light schedule keeps same DLI. You can thumb eyeball that with built in pot.

1 Like