Building out a new room, need advice

Grow goals bud

Lmao…I also have some small Cvaults coming to fill that shelf mostly cause I don’t think I’ll fill the big ones yet :joy:

2 Likes

Love the bathtub grow, a grow space with a drain - easy way to get rid of runoff.

@dbrn32 question…how much light is too much light? I think HLG messed up and instead of sending me 3 new heatsinks, they sent me 3 full kits, which will essentially put me at 12 total boards…I’m not 100% certain on that till I get the package, but what would be the best way to incorporate all of them if that’s the case?

Was kind of thinking of putting the XL s further apart and then putting one reg in between each XL and saving one for parts.

Or using one the spare board in my 2x2x4 Dimmed way down.

Or???

1 Like

I guess depends on what makes the most sense. You can always run more boards at lower power for better coverage and higher efficiency. See what shows up and let me know.

1 Like

How does running more lights dimmed down equate to more efficiency? Because wooden wouldn’t it be drawing the same wattage? For example if I ran the 3XL boards at 200 W apiece wouldn’t that mean the same as running 3XL plusTwo regulars drying the same wattage still come out to be the same power draw?

Power draw is only half of the efficiency equation. The 288 boards produce more light per watt at lower current. Pretty much all leds do for that matter. But two 288 boards at say 150 watts will produce about 10% more light that one 288 board running at same power. The information is on hlg’s website if you know what you’re looking for.

2 Likes

Rebuilt my lights using the 24” slates instead of the 36” “XL” slates, seems to be slightly better concentrated lights this way with less wasted light against the wall and out to the open area. Plus as minute as it looks that extra 6” gives my head more clearance as I bumped it quite often

Also mounted the drivers separately so I can get to the bottom dimmer if needed and I wanted them together so that I could keep a fan going across them and tidied up all the wiring and such for a cleaner look

Now I need to find a decent way to mount the dimmer knobs so they aren’t hanging like that:

2 Likes

You can’t just met him right here to these holes?

2 Likes

I’m not really sure how to mount those dimmer knobs there’s no where to attach anything to other than the wires

1 Like

The knobs don’t slide off or have a Allen setscrew?
Can’t really tell what’s going on without a close picture of your potentiometers. Worst case you could order new potentiometers that can be mounted they are not very expensive. Just make sure you get the right size you need to talk to @dbrn32 about that…:v::+1:

3 Likes

get a cheap project box from Amazon. Some have knockouts built in, others you can install cable gland if you want to keep clean and professional looking. Then find a way to mount box to your fixture. You could probably bolt to frame support rails.

2 Likes

Had a slight worry, noticed my room was very smelly and I could smell it from afar, come to find out my exhaust system was blocked by a snake…guess I need to fix my screen better to block creatures from crawling in the port :confused:

On another note, I took advantage of the Black Fridays and I have 2hlg uva 30 bars and a HLG 135 b spec on the way!!!

1 Like

I wouldn’t. I own the HLG 135 R Spec and the dimming adjustment is a dainty plastic slot-head. Fine if you only set it once, but I think it’s ridiculous if you’re going to adjust with any regularity.

Ok, so it’s been a while, guess it’s time to post some updates to my room :slight_smile:

So now I have the 24x24x48 seedling cabinet with the HLG Bspec 135, a 2x4 gorilla shorty mother tent with the HLG 288 Bspec XL SET UP, and the 3x6 main grow area…

Does the expansions ever stop!? Lol

5 Likes

@Hellraiser so I got this tent all set up and lights going with the intention of having it on an 18/6 veg time, but when I go lights out in the room and the tent lights are on, there is a ton of leaks all over this thing. Any ideas on how to alleviate those so I’m not causing the flowering plants to herm?

I’ve tightened all the ports inside and out, but it’s like everywhere it is sewn together, you can see light from outside. I don’t want to move it to a different room, as that would mean I have to build another room to support it (ac, seal it, run electricity etc)

1 Like

Duct tape or if too many light leaks for that, throw a blanket/tarp over it.

1 Like