Building a room

I am looking to build a room next to my basement stairs. The dimensions are 105" * 46 5/8". I am thinking of growing 4 plants. Check out the attached photo. In the photo there is a DWV pipe about 10inches in. I drew the 4 remaining circles thinking that’s where I would place the 4 plants.

I am planning to build the room myself and just looking for any input or things I may not think of while planning the build.

1 Like

What do you have for equipment? Lights fans de/humidifier? I’m super jealous! Can’t wait to see it unfold

I have an AC Infinity T6 and 2 HLG135’s. I have other Amazon blurple lights as well. I’m want to purchase 3rd light that will basically cover one side or 2 plants.

For the construction going to frame, insulate, and drywall. One coat of mud, maybe 2, and then paint it flat white.

My water heater exhaust is right on the other side, so I’m tempted to just tie into the b vent and exhaust it right outside.

2 Likes

That’s going to be awesome. I can’t remember who it is, but one the guys on here is working on his right now. I’ll tag a couple people and see if they remember.

@Hellraiser @MeEasy @Myfriendis410

1 Like

Basically your building a 4x8 grow room 32 square feet witch would require 1250 watts I would worry about tying you vent into the hot water heater vent the pressure would go into the firebox and cause problems

2 Likes

@beardless aren’t you working on a grow room build?

2 Likes

Yes I am building a room that will contain a 32 x 72" grow closet. I have to go the closet route for privacy sake.
Here I am trying to figure out the layout for three hlg 260 lights, exhaust and filter.

I can figure out how to cut and screw 2x4s together but when it comes to mechanical and electrical systems I cry uncle. Totally clueless. Hence my visual aide

7 Likes

I can’t wait to see it done. I’m trying to convince wife that my 27x27"… isn’t actually big enough. I mean, I do have an HLG 300l.i should probably have a space big enough to utilize it, right?

5 Likes

the 300L is a tight squeeze I’ll admit. I am thinking of it too because it has a little more spread than the 260. Would it be possible for you to take a photo of the driver - light connection. HLG doesn’t show that very well. I want to locate the drivers outside of the closet. It would be easy to do with the 260’s because they are kits. I wouldn’t want to bugger up a finished product unless I can do it well. If you can, it would be great to post to my thread at Let’s Grow Some Purple Kush rather than here. Thanks.

I have to admit my wife is unique. I was showing her what I was thinking about and explaining that it would not function well enough to justify the cost and effort. She suggested maybe it would if is a little bigger. Now why didn’t I think of that? Done deal I’ll start right away.

5 Likes

@dirtydave

Good to know about the exhaust, actually makes sense now that I think about it. If I only plan to grow 3-4 plants, do you still think I need to have 1250 watts? I was hoping to use the first part of the room as storage/nutrients. My set-up in my tent was a 2x4 tent, two plants, one HLG135W over each. I was thinking of doing the same, but getting a larger light to cover two plants, and use the HLG 135W over the other one/two. If that makes sense…

@beardless

I guess mine is more of a closet build as well. The space I am using is a narrow sliver next to my basement stairs tucked behind my water heater. My thought is if I decide to sell, it will just look like a storage area in the basement, with electrical.

What are you having issues with regarding the 2x4’s

1 Like

I am OK with the carpentry stuff. I am a fish out of water when it comes to any thing electric and the parts, connectors and collars needed to do a respectable job on venting.

1 Like

HLG 135 for each individual plant is probably a great idea. Then you can tailor light height to each plant specifically.

1 Like

that is what I am thinking but with 260s instead.

I have 1 260 above my flowering plant now. Late in veg and early in flower I ran 3 135 boards above it.

I got curious so I called. They will not add length to the driver wire. “It’s actually pretty easy to do on your own” but it will void warranty

I run my drivers outside the tent, so I’ve got a wires that are 10 - 12 feet in length. Interesting comment they made on warranty.

1 Like

I was hoping they would say Oh yes we have the wire and connections designed specifically for that. But that would be too easy. Take a look at chilled fixtures. They use push-lock connectors. Do you need an extra 7’. No problem. We have already thought of that. Here you go
You just have to be willing to spend the $$. I am trying to find the connectors on line but not familiar with sizing and nomenclature. I should reach to some members who may know this stuff.

1 Like

I was very surprised as well. It can’t be that difficult to get. But those things are a little beyond me until I need them not to be :joy:

1 Like

@Underthestairs

That’s what I have currently. I am debating on either getting 2 more. I’m not sure if there are better options or not.

@beardless

Ah. I actually prefer the electrical part of things. I’m planning to wire this room up to it’s own breaker and put the outlets in the ceiling for the light,s etc. I wish I could help but by no means am I a licensed or practicing electrician so my advice it probably not to be taken.

Are the 260’s far superior to the 135’s?

1250 is approximate wattage for a 4x8 space if your only going to use part of it you would need less watts but the walls reflect light if you don’t have something to reflect back light is wasted so maybe partition off the plants with something even a white sheet would help a lot

1 Like