Building a new grow room, help/advice wanted

Hi guys, i have decided to do a hostile take over of an extra room in the house, it is 10’6 x 9’6 with 8 foot ceilings. it also has 2 side by side windows. i am thinking i can use 1 window for the ac, and the other for fresh air in at the bottom, and exhaust out the top. i have a 4x4 tent and a smaller 2x4 tent, i am thinking of using the 4x4 for A veg/seedling/clone area, and use the room for a flowering room.

my biggest concern and my weakest point of knowledge at this point is lights. i have a 600 watt vipar spectra and a small MH light. which should get me by while i am waiting for better weather to plant outside, and for me to decide on lights. here is my light delima, i am paying $.15 per kilowatt hour after all taxes and fees. so i am looking for as efficient as possible lighting fixtures. i can run 220 up to the room, and my just enough knowledge of electricity to make myself dangerous tells me that 220 runs cheaper. or at least takes less power to start up? is it enough to justify the cost? i dunno, not my strong point, lol.

i have been doing some research on diy cobs and such, but the info is over my head atm. i am currently looking at the hlg-260 xl or the redwood vs timber, not sure what has me attracted to the redwood light, maybe it just looks so cool. i have about $1K i can spend on lights right now, i know it is not enough to fill the room with light, but hoping it is enough to use at least 1/2 of it for now and get me some needed space. i do want to keep my light fixtures at about 4x4 so i can use them in my tent, if i decide to go back to tents at some point. i am pretty well mechanically inclined so building my own lights is something i can do, if i can wrap my head around it.

i also will need to make some other purchases, humidifier and a dehumidifier as it gets very humid here in summer and the woodstove makes it super dry in winters, Also of course eliminate all light sources and get some reflective materials for the walls. plus there will be more i am not thinking of.

i think that about wraps up where i am at the moment, cheers all and thanks for any help.

1 Like

@RD-Haes

Welcome to our world of growing here at ILGM and to our awesome community.

I hope this helps…

Grow Tent: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DXYMKIO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2PQGFJXAT8J9K/?tag=greenrel-20

Lighting: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P8P51ZQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2PQGFJXAT8J9K/?tag=greenrel-20

Fan/filter/ducting: Amazon.com

Nutrients: Amazon.com

Cal-Mag: Amazon.com

PH Kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BNKWZY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER/?tag=greenrel-20

Soil: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GRADNDS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER/?tag=greenrel-20

Here is my list so far… Might give you ideas…

Lasko 2521 Oscillating Stand Fan, 16-Inch 1 ea

Simple Deluxe HIWKLTCLAMPLIGHTM Clamp Lamp Light w/ 8.5-Inch Reflector,
150-Watt, 6-Foot Cord, UL Listed 2 ea

3 Way ( Straight Shaped ) with Plug Locations On The left, Right, and
Middle – Wall Outlet Splitter Triple Prong Wall Plug Adapter– Green Color 1 ea

SPL Horticulture GLRP18 Pair of 1/8" Adjustable Grow Light Rope Hanger w/
Improved Metal Internal Gears 4 2-pk

Ideal-Air 380037 Noise Reduction Clamp, 6" 1 ea

VIVOSUN 6 Inch Noise Reducer Silencer for Inline Duct Fan 1 ea

Covery 3 in 1 Soil Tester Moisture Meter, Light and PH acidity Tester, Plant Tester 1 ea

Chapin 20000 1-Gallon Poly Lawn and Garden Sprayer 2 ea

Philips 433557 23W 100-watt T2 Twister 6500K CFL Light Bulb 1 4-pk

200 Count- Jiffy 7 Peat Soil 42mm Pellets Seeds Starting Plugs 1 200-pk

Stansport Reinforced Multi-Purpose Tarp 2 ea

G-LEAF 5-Gallon 10-Bag Grow Bag, Grow Pot for Plant 1 10-pk

General Hydroponics GH1514 Ph Control Kit 1 each

VIVOSUN 440 CFM 6" Inline Duct Fan with 6" Carbon Filter Odor Control with
Australia Virgin Charcoal 1 ech

Growsun 60"x60"x80" Horticulture Grow Tent 5x5 Indoor Growing Tents Mylar
Hydroponic Grow Room 1 ea

VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 900W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum for Indoor
Plants Veg and Flower 2 ea

Pack of 3 - 22 Oz Durable Empty Spray Bottles 1 3-pk

Yield Lab 5ft. x 15ft (60 in x 180 in) Soft Mesh Trellis Netting 1 ea

Fox Farm FX14049 Liquid Nutrient Trio Soil Formula: Big Bloom, Grow Big,
Tiger Bloom 1 ech

Century 7 Day Heavy Duty Digital Programmable Timer - Dual Outlet 1 ea

10 Plant Growing Trays (No Drain Holes) 1 10-pk

Digital Aid Professional pH Meter with Large Backlit LCD Screen 1 ea

Foxfarm FX14000 Ocean Forest Soil, Smart Naturals, 1.5 cubic feet 3 ea

White Widow Seeds 1 10-pk

My Cozy Home Pruner - Bypass Pruning Shears with Safety Lock 1 ea

Century 7 Day Heavy Duty Digital Programmable Timer - Dual Outlet 1 ea

iPower GLDUCT25C Non-Insulated Ducting Aluminum Foil Vent with 2 Clamps,
25-Feet 6-Inch 1 ea

AcuRite 00613 Indoor Humidity Monitor 1 ea

Lasko 2004W 2-Speed Clip Fan, 6-Inch, White 1 ea

3’ Fixture Chain, Nickel - 2 Pack 1 2-pk

Hydrofarm HGS16P Green Premium Saucer 1 10-pk

Camco 40043 TastePURE Water Filter with Flexible Hose Protector 1 ea

6 Inch Plastic Flower Seedlings Nursery Supplies Planter Pot/pots Containers 1 40-pk

Farmer in the Glen 10"x20.75" Waterproof Seedling Heat Mat for Hydroponics,
Propogation and Cloning - Mat Only 1 ea

Apex REM 15 15-Foot Connector Hose 1 ea

A1001 Heavy Duty Brass Y 2 Way Garden Hose Connector Brass 2-Way Splitter 1 ea

awesome info and thank you, i was just reading your tea thread the other day looks like good stuff!! i have a lot of the little pieces already luckily, but seems there is always more to get !

1 Like

You pay for power by kwh, per thousand watts for 1 hour. So if you had a 1000 watt hps lamp for it to run one hour costs you about $.15. Whether its 120v or 240v input could make a difference, but very very small. Probably not enough to justify running a 240v circuit just for the sake of having it run at 240v. It’s a big enough room that you may want to do it anyway just to have the extra power, when you go to fill the room.

Both of the light models you’re looking at run meanwell hlg series drivers. Those will run something like 2% more efficient on 240v than they will on 120v. If you have 1000 watts worth lights that’s saving you 20 watts per hour. On 12 hour flowering schedule 240 watt hours. So it would take 4 days to save you $.15 running 240v over 120v.

The main reason I was posting, if you can run a 240v circuit in your home you can definitely DIY a light. Tell me what you want and I can make sure you get the right stuff, piece of cake from there.

4 Likes

@dbrn32 , thank you, glad you stumbled upon my thread. I have read a bunch of your posts recently, there is a bunch of info here, and it over whelms me. i am sure i am over thinking it, but that is the only type of thinking i have available to me. thank you for the info on the 220 i was hoping it was a better $$ saver, but does not seem worth the hassle for me. basically i am looking to do 2 lights for now i think, enough to cover half the room, i am guessing i will need four 4x4 lights or equivalent for a 10X10 room? also i work with a scrap yard, so i can find some cheap base materials, like aluminum angle and stuff like that. so i really should look at diy, also am rebuilding marine engines in my spare time, so i should be able to figure out the mechanics of it. so i guess i am on board with a diy light, all puns intended !

my grow journal if you wanted to take a peek at what i have going so far.

off to work, running late, and thank you for your help !

RD

3 Likes

Always look at square footage of what you’re working with. 10x10 is 100 square feet and four 4x4’s total 64 square feet. So if you were growing wall to wall you would have just over half of light you needed. It’s understood that you’ll need some space to enter room and work, so obviously won’t have 100 square feet of canopy.

Imo you should map out how you plan to use the room and buy lights that fit accordingly. I will go take a look at your journal to see if that’s done.

2 Likes

here is a basic and archaic drawing of the room, i am thinking a row of 3 plants down each side, i have some piping laying around i was going to secure to the walls over head so i can hang lights and slide them around the room where ever i need them. i am probably going to start with moving 3 plants in for now while i renovate and do all that fun stuff. i am sure as i learn more and get more into this my needs and plans will change.

i saw you responded in my grow as well, will check out that video. i made a new thread here as i finally decided what to do, my 10X5 plans changed and conquered this room in the house instead.

1 Like

You think if you put tent in corner and started setting up your canopy like this for now would work?

that could work, but using the tent for veg, and room for flower, (i think? so far? maybe? lol ) was hoping to keep the tent in other room, so i don’t have to worry about light leaks and such, i may have to buy another veg tent or two to keep up with the flower room, will see. my house was also built 1860 or so and uninsulated and room is on 2nd floor, would having plants directly in front of AC affect them ?

started watching the video, building these is not what i thought, i was picturing soldering and picking individual bulbs to make my own array on a board or something, sort of like a light bright that i would cut into strips … i gotta get out of the 70’s

that 80-20 aluminum i have scrapped by the truckload, i will keep some aside next time i find some.it is almost always in small pieces, or bent though , will see what i have or what other yards i visit have. i do get all kinds of angle aluminum so i can use that too. heat sink aluminum like that i don’t see often, i do have customers who can order me standard sized aluminum at cost, and aluminum is very low market now, i will make some calls. could i run 1x1 aluminum angle and thermal paste a bunch of copper and aluminum heat sinks from computers to them? will they run a lot more efficiently using the thermal extrusion from running cooler? the more answers i find the more questions i come up with.

1 Like

Putting tent in other room isn’t a problem. You can use 1" aluminum angle as it is, I just wouldn’t push strips as hard as I would with a heatsink extrusion. That’s just getting driver with little lower output current and buying couple extra strips. You could omit the 80/20 and make frame out of the angle too. Not put strips end to end like in video and make smaller square fixtures too. When you’re the builder you can pretty much do whatever you want.

ok, i just checked out what the cost would be for four 4’ lights on the heatsink aluminum on the site mentioned in the video. if that is the route i go, based on info on the video link i’d need 16 46" parts, if shipping isn’t too bad the cost of them for all 4 is well worth it to save me the hassle and have the right stuff. that i would buy ahead of time, and still start out on the 2 i want up now to save on shipping costs. finding the angle aluminum for the framework should be easy.

so now i know i am not going to save really much of anything from stuff i have laying around, or what may come in at the yard. so i guess it is time to start shopping lists :slight_smile: would i be better with 3 3’ light’s along side the wall instead of 2 4 ’ ?

sorry am a bit all over the place past few days, pulled a muscle in my chest, and dislocated a finger, been hitting last years harvest pretty good past couple days…

There are other 560mm strips. Cutter electronics has almost identical strip. Samsung and bridgelux both have a few.

ok, had some time to look things over a bit more, my wiring in the room is from the 1930’s and not grounded. i am going to have to run some wiring. going to run a separate circuit for grow lights and 1 for room lights ac and such, luckily i have a bunch of 14-2 and 12-2 wire laying around.

Untitled

is this the spec of the heatsink extrusion i will want for strips if i go that route?

i spent alot of time last night looking at cutter electronics, there are sure a lot more options than i thought. some even look like a light bright game. i feel a bit more educated and more confused at the same time. my thoughts are the strips are easier to maintain as i can replace 1 strip instead of a large block in case of a shorted or blown strip?

also still contemplating sizes, and i am always trying to think of future expansion. if i were able to conquer another room in the house, or when i move, i’d like to be open for options as much as possible, like if i have to go back to tents. or even if i get a bigger building and i can set up isles. so would like to be able to grab the lights and put them in 4x8 or even 5x10 tents if needed. i am not saying my thinking is correct, just my theory

For photo boost strips that’s what I would use. If you’re running circuit for room you may want to figure where you’ll be at the end. May make sense to run larger circuit and use lighting controller or something. Hou can usually only fire a couple of big drivers per circuit due to inrush current.

I drew up a little better of a plan on how i am thinking of setting up the room, the squares are the lights, which i will be able to slide up and down the room. lights marked 1 are the first bank i want to build. the 2nd bank i am hoping to build by winter. if i put strips closer to the edges and run them north/south will i be able to cover more of a 4x5 area covering the whole canopy along the wall ? i would assume i would have to add more strips per fixture to do this, effectively making a 4X5 light in a 4x4 frame?

also that small triangle closet i was thinking of mounting all my drivers in. would they be too far from some of the lights there?

i feel like i am finally coming along on some form of understanding on some of this. i will look into lighting controllers. and again, thank you for your help and time.
also if you want me to take this to the diy light thread once i have a room plan in stone let me know.

1 Like

Something like titan controllers, lots of different models so look close.

Layout looks fine but you would like them against wall to gain some reflection.

i wanted them against the wall too, but first time drawing boxes with gimp paint program, i was happy i could copy and paste them. :+1: :+1: it surely does not look it, but that took me over an hour to do !!. they will be on trolleys so i can move them also. i am guessing i will need 10 sections of 2 strips per fixture? i imagine i would need stronger drivers per fixture as well.

1 Like

The tables are 4x4? I would probably make fixtures slightly smaller than that if anything.

i meant the if framework of the light itself being smaller than 4x4 and covering a 4x6 area ?