Bug Identification Please

Hi Guys,

Could someone please identify these tiny little things I have on my sticky traps (placed at soil level)… Shots are under microscope.
The soil is an organic living soil, and I have seen a fair few of what I believe are fungus gnats, however these pics don’t seem to resemble what I find on the internet for the Gnat larvae.
Could someone please help me out with this

Thanks,
JDUB1

1 Like

@Mrcrabs @MidwestGuy any thought on the bug? I don’t know. Tag a growmie!

All I know about critters is what I’ve read here in the forum, which isn’t much. It doesn’t come up all that often.

People often use neem oil or Diatomaceous earth to treat for critters. Someone who has dealt with these should come along and give a useful reply.

1 Like

If you search on neem oil and/or diatomaceous earth here in the forum it should display threads that you might find useful. You can probably find photos of the same bug and learn how others have addressed them.

It’s the transformation from Larve to fly called pupa, what critter… is very hard to tell, as they look all very similar…

1 Like

How small are they ? Really tiny in the soil?

1 Like

Nope not the same

They are very small and are black

Anyone out there know there pests? I cant find anything

you can go look at pics of pupa and see if you find anything that resembles

Sorry… I’m stumped…resembles a larvae of some sort…

1 Like

is that what fungus gnats look like? then i might have a problem… :confused:

I have no idea what they are? But i know my sticky cards are getting more and more of them :frowning:

Pictures

1 Like

click your avatar in the right uper corner of my answer, im refering to your picture :wink:

never mind… found this

These are Springtail Larvae. A good sign of healthy soil. They feed on mold and other decaying organic matter and have been known to help with the spread of beneficial fungi.

Yes sir

Update…
There seem to be hundreds of these guys on my traps now and base of pot…
More pics

An Entomologist got back to me and said they are springtails. They feed on decomposing organic material and pose no threat to plants. They are in fact important players in a healthy soil food web as they contribute to nutrient cycling.
Good news.

1 Like