Budz420 Doin' the Monster Mash... feat. Lemon Haze monster clones

I see…and how long do you re-veg at 18/6 for? And also…do you normally do this on the lower bus sites?

1 Like

It is always recommended to take your clones as low as possible… It will root a bit quicker… :sunglasses::v:

2 Likes

That is going to depend on a number of things in my case.
Ideally you always take clones from as low as possible - they seem to want to root quicker. But in saying that, I have grown clone tops (1/4 of my current tent) and have taken and rooted from all levels - with equal success. Not sure if the rate or location will make a difference this time - as I have never done monsters before. I will find out as the current clones are from all areas.

1. I only have a clone space and a veg/ flower space. My tent will be full for another 4-5 weeks
  2. Depending on the growth - I am thinking 1 to 4 weeks veg and then flip
  3. If I decide to run 9 it will be closer to 1 week veg…
    :v: :sunglasses:
3 Likes

I haven’t really seen a big difference in success rate so far. They all seem to root at the same sort of rate. A few stragglers of course - but minimal fails.
I have taken more than I need this time to test that theory again - as monsters. It may well change the strike rate - or magnify the lower cut theory. Will be interesting to see. I have everything from little suckers to a 1" flower that was just hanging below the canopy. Exited to see what I end up with! :sunglasses: :v:

2 Likes

Its something that we don’t really see/witness in a ‘normal’ indoor grow environment. (3 foot plants are considered big in this environment ) The fact of the matter is actually when cells divide, the location of those cells, relative to their locating within the plant. The lower they are situated, the closer they are to the roots and will thus form roots more readily, because those where the first cells to be created. If you grow 6m trees, and attempt to clone the top, you are going to find it more difficult…just a very simplistic explanation…:sunglasses::v:

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification mate. I like simple! :rofl:
I like that the science equals the logic. The tree scenario clarifies it nicely! :+1: :+1: :+1:
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks for the tag. Set to watching that crazy growth with you!

1 Like

So you guys clone during early flowering to get additional branch sites so you can get the lowest profile plant? I don’t know if you have experienced this, but the lowest branches on clones are generally formed at a time where the plants hormones and available nutrients create weak branches, which is why a lot of lower branches end up splitting off the stem. I’m curious as to how your clone experiment goes, but I would bet any situation during veg that involves reduced root development is probably suboptimal. No matter how many branch sites you have, your plant will only put out what it’s roots can support. I hope it goes well! I have read about this technique, but haven’t done it myself yet

1 Like

Hay budz mind if I tag along. Reading so far this sounds like its guna be an awesome journal. I plan on cloning on my next grow so hope to learn from this. Keep it green brother

1 Like

Welcome aboard mate! Enjoy the ride! :v: :sunglasses:

Welcome!
No - not quite… We train (lst, hst incl. topping, fimming, super-cropping, tying down) to keep the height down. Topping your plant stops it’s height in its tracks - and encourages fierce lateral branches (they grow stronger) and every terminal wants to be THE cola. From there, you train into a flat canopy - thick with colas for the lights to hit.
This is my first attempt at monster clones - though many on here are more practiced at it. It is nowhere near as common as typical veg cloning. A monster clone - once reveged, wants to grow into one big cola - or its stem is the cola - with colas growing from it - ideally! But it is a lucky dip as t the grow out.
Monster clones take quite a bit longer to take root - they are confused - and the success rate isn’t as good I believe.
The best veg clones come from the lower part of the plant because they are more inclined to want to drop roots than pop a flower. The closer to the top you get - the more it is inclined to flower than drop roots. There is a much more scientific explanation - it is beyond me though.
I did a lot of trials with clones since my grow started. 1/4 of my current flowering crop is made up of the 3 tops of the big flowering girls (3 big + 3 tops). Found very little difference in success or growth - with better than 90% success rate. I haven’t experienced any weakness in my clones or the donors - everything has thrived - and pushed harder the more I trained them. Ideally, I end up with an 8" thick carpet over my net - perfect world! :wink: :v:
I hope that better explains what I am up to - and how I got to this point.
Thanks for taking an interest!!! :+1: :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Welcome aboard mate! There is sure to be a lot of trial and error. There is the potential for a lot of craziness. Very little of this grow is set in stone. So far, all I know is - it will be monsters - and one way or another - I will fill that tent to the point where I could name it “The Tardis” :partying_face: :rofl:
If what I am doing helps what you intend to do - that is brilliant!!! :sunglasses: :v:

2 Likes

That’s awesome. What part of monster grow cant you love. Good luck bro

1 Like

Exactly right. And the expected delay of taking root and pushing new growth suits me nicely. I believe monsters average 3-4 weeks before kicking on - and they play dead along the way!
That suits me perfectly as I have about 4 weeks left on my current run. So the timing to get them repotted and into veg SHOULD be pretty close to spot on. Not that it is a goal - but it would be nice to be able to time perpetual grow - a seamless flow from clone to veg/ flower - just to know that I can do it really. :wink: :+1: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

It has been 8 day since taking the cuttings and putting them in the Jiffy chips.
11 clones taken… 9 successful… 6 strong… only 2 stragglers (they were the smallest, weakest suckers - an expected loss. I could keep them going - they would survive if required - but they’re not.
Really surprised that Monsters taken at W3-4 took in 7 days - and there was one very dry day - the cause of the dead leaves - which will be clipped (I wasn’t home) - everything I’d heard said at least 2 weeks - often more. They were faultless.
Still no visible roots - however the reveg is visible in places. I will keep a close eye on them for visible roots. The 9 clones will be culled to 5. 4 of which will be then placed back in the main tent (when available) and grown out to see what they do and how they behave.
I am considering putting one (the 5th) in a tub outside as we are in early spring - just to see what she does. But if that doesn’t eventuate and there is no interchange required, I’ll just let it go to focus on the one grow. I want to see just how crazy they grow. Training will be based on how they grow - but all 4 will receive similar base training.
Fantastic to have you guys following and supporting - you are all awesome and your inputs/ opinions are always valued and considered. :sunglasses: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :+1:
@HanJolo @ThirtyThree @OlyBoy98503 @Arrow @Ocean @420qc @tanlover442 @Dman1969 @Enlightened420 @Hellraiser
I hop everyone n theirs is safe n well and baked as hell! :crazy_face:
Introducing the gang as they stand!

9 Likes

Looking awesome!! Just noticed a root hanging out of 2 out of 3 yesterday 1 gallon pot.

Happy Growing!!

7 Likes

Awesome. Thanks for the tag. Will be following closely. Good luck. This is guna be crazy seeing how the monsters grow.

1 Like

Thanks mate. Looking good! Do you just skip the solo cup? Or is the step up to 1 gallon your preference?

1 Like

Thanks mate. I feel like these little monsters are going to get very interesting very quickly being that they took so well so quickly. :+1: :sunglasses:

1 Like

You may want to water :sweat_drops: in a ring around the seedlings not directly at the stem. It promotes root development. They look really good and keep on keeping on!! :sunglasses::v::call_me_hand:

2 Likes