Buds Forming, Purple Leafs Help Please

Hi I’M a new grower this is my first time growing. the purple leaf plant was givin to me on Feb. 4th and the green one I grew from seeds. I’m very clueless so be easy on me. I know nothing. I bought some supplements and was feeding them both a little at a time and the ones with the buds started to turn purple, I got scared and stopped using the supplements I started with General Hydroponics Flora Grow and then started using humboldts sweet and sticky, humboldts secret golden tree and humboldts. I will post before and after of each of the plants. Help Please I think this is a very informative site.
The first 3 pics are of a plant that was given to me it was green but turned purple when it started to bud. The last 2 pics are of the plant I grew from seeds that were given to me.

4 Likes

You don’t need to worry about the purple leaves…don’t stop feeding going by the color. There are purple strains. A couple of the green plants don’t look like they are showing any signs of being female.but hard to tell from the pics… I’d need to see a closer pic the bottom green one is showing flowers so she’s good

2 Likes

Thank You So Much. I will send more pics tomorrow ok just keep feeding them… I thought I did something wrong.

1 Like

I have no idea as to when to harvest and how to dry them out safely, also I’ve seen videos about washing them?

2 Likes

Yes bud wash is a good idea. If you Google “jorge cervantes bud wash” you’ll find an informative video.

As for when to harveat, you’re going to want to have a look at the trichomes and have a read about clear vs cloudy and cloudy vs amber. Jewelers loupe 30/60x is good cheap way to have a look.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community ! Nice looking ceramic pots, do they have holes on the bottom for drainage.
Happy growing !

2 Likes

Thank You, yes they do they have one hole drilled in them I’m not sure if I could drill more than one I got these about 20 years ago

2 Likes

I Hope this is a better picture? Thank You Again For Your Help

2 Likes

Yes, they look good!

Welcome to the forum as well… I’ll be watching but feel free to tag me if you have any questions. If I don’t know the answer (50-60% probability lol), I’ll tag some experts on here for you!

The pots do need too have really good drainage. The roots need access to oxygen… lots of oxygen.

I don’t think it’s too late to re-pot and put into fabric or air pots… what do you think @Myfriendis410 @Covertgrower?

What kind of soil are you using?

3 Likes

If these are outside plants and overnight temps dropped into the 50’s, this would cause anthrocyanins to develop and cause the purple hue.

Growing in a container is tough and obviously unnatural to the plant. Depending on the media used you could run into issues (Miracle Grow is a no-no). Having nutrients on hand once medium is depleted, and good PH and TDS meters to know what you’re feeding the plant, is a necessity.

You have time to pot up and I too would recommend fabric pots. If you are currently in the wrong medium you can transplant into the correct soil.

4 Likes

Thank You. I will purchase Fabric Pots today what soil do you recommend that I use? Also I would like to get a big bush why do mine only grow straight up?
Thanks Again

4 Likes

@ItsGMan21

If you top the plant when its in early veg stage by cutting the stem off between nodes 3-6 and bend branches and tie them down (low stress training) you will get a bushy plant with multiple colas instead of a tall skinny plant

3 Likes

Foxfarm soil would be a good choice ocean forest or Happy Frog. With new fabric pots you’re Off to the Races.

3 Likes

Assuming you have a variety of choices in your area: Fox Farms Ocean Forest, FF Happy Frog, Roots Organics potting soil, Black Magic potting soil.

If none of those are available look for something that a: is good for tomatoes and b: does not say either “moisture control” or “needs no fertilizer for 3 months”.

4 Likes

Myfriendis410 covered most of it, I have used in the past Fox Farms Ocean Forest. It’s good stuff.

1 Like

I’ve been using Recipe 420 I can get it at my local garden shop.

1 Like

The Green one is Young. It was small like in the picture in February I grew that one from seeds should I top it and and tie it down now or is it too late? I’m worried about my soil I want to just put them both in the ground but I want to build raised planters first. Where I live it’s windy in the winter and it has been cold. I live in the inland empire area so it gets hot as well. Thank you, I really appreciate all of the responses I think I’m doing fairly well. Also how often do you water?

Sorry Caligurl and Everyone. Evidently you’re not allowed to reply too many times when you’re new to the Site/Forum so I had to wait. I purchased and replanted both plants in the fabric pots with the Foxfarm Soil! I can’t wait to see what happens!
Thank You all again!

4 Likes

Can you post a current picture of the one you are asking about to top?

2 Likes

Also Id recommend you read this whole guide before you top or do any low stress training it has very good info.

2 Likes