Budget conscious new grower needs some guidance

So I’ve grown a few half ass plants back in my college days but, I’m ready to take a step and start legitimately growing my own supply. Thinking of 2-4 plants at a time. Going to start with autos. I’m seeing that led grow light panels are a thing now (that’s nice) but I do NOT have $1,000 to drop on a couple hlg 350R’s :rofl:. So, I’m looking for a budget friendly (think $70-$100 tops per panel) led lighting panel to start my closet operation. Also, what size grow bags do y’all suggest to grow autos? I’ll probably be purchasing the auto mix pack with ak-47 sour diesel and super skunk (unless y’all suggest something different. I have a pretty high tolerance) do I NEED nukes for high yield? And lastly, how much can I expect to yield per plant? Seems like an avg of 3-4 oz per plant? Thanks in advance for all of your help.

4 Likes

I had been eyeing a couple of these… Amazon.com

Looks like they have everything they need and the numbers look good.

1 Like

I always like 5 gal fabric pots, but thats just my preference!

5 Likes

I was looking at 7gallon fabric but I was thinking that was a little overkill

5 Likes

The light you posted is 130 watts and even 130w is generous since these poor quality diodes use a lot of that wattage goes toward generating heat rather than light. It’s worthless for growing weed. The PPFD map they put up in the light has to be fraudulent. A 130w light simply cannot produce that kind of output. You may as well be using a couple of $10 GE screw in bulb. Stay away from any light that has a fan, veg/bloom switches, or puts out purple colored light.

Go for a light that uses Samsung LM301b diodes if you are concerned about cost. The b version is a generation old, but it it still quite capable and generally less expensive than the latest models. Quality lighting is the most important factor for healthy plants and good yield.

Putting up fake PPFD maps and claiming that it is a 1000 watt is just lying.

Yes. Jack’s 321 is a good, inexpensive option.

Yield is dependent on the grower. You need to have a well fed, properly watered plant that receives a lot of light. A few ounces is typical for a new grower with autos.

I suggest growing photos. Autos sometimes flower too early resulting in poor yield. They are not easier to grow. They are hard to train, can be sensitive more to nutes and are, in general, more twitchy than photos.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your grow.

10 Likes

Thanks for the help! Do you have a light that you would suggest that uses those bulbs?

1 Like

How about these guys. Got the Samsung diodes and a meanwell driver

Amazon.com

3 Likes

Better, but it too has a veg/bloom switch and the seller makes claims that the light covers a 4x4 tent. At 200 watts it won’t come close to that. I don’t trust them if they are going to make such claims. I would rather have a Spider Farmer or a Mars Hydro with LM301 diodes at the price.

Suggest growing 1 plant at a time if budget conscious. Lighting is expensive and a 200 watt light is only good for 1 plant at a time. You will struggle to find a light for 2 plants that costs less than $300 to $400.

4 Likes

I’m not sure how big your closet is, but if the decision was mine, I would spend on one good light (as has been discussed) and grow two plants under there to start. Then save up for the 2nd good light and grow two more if you have the space. Or, divide the closet into two so you have a veg space and a flower space. Then perhaps the light for veg can be a little lower cost.

Just throwing noodles at the wall, good luck!!

5 Likes

How much have you got to spend on a tent and light and inline fan system and clip on fans if ur got a budget of 800 then go get a spider famer tent kit for 750 it comes with a se3000 and a 90×90×180 tent i do believe and the inline fan system and fans

4 Likes

When all else fails! You can always go back to good old metal halide and hps bulbs. Depending on what part of the country your in old lights are cheap! They do generate heat. But before I grew under some BS china led light with FAKE ppfd charts! I would just hang a 600watt mh/hps fixture. I know everyone has a preference for what lights to use. But I found HLG led lights are pretty much the top of the line. And there customer service is second to NONE!

1 Like

Spider Farmer SF1000? Amazon.com

1 Like

Great advice from @MidwestGuy! Look into AC infinity lighting, reputable and inexpensive :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

I agree with suggestion to start with photos. I started with autos and have switched to photos…… it’s kind of a deceiving marketing tool. What they tell you: “Autos grow great on there own! And they don’t need you to switch the light! They finish so Fast!!! Blah blah bla……
what it should say is: “ very finicky for new growers!, will take at least 2 weeks longer than stated in the flowering time! And you think it’ll be faster then a photo! But it won’t!!” Lol autos are fun. But photos are much easier to work with, and I think there overall better quality. Not that autos are bad. But photo plants are just that much better!

5 Likes

OK, you can grow weed with just a combination of a cool white and a warm white fluorescent. But you would be lucky to get a half ounce from a plant. So keep your expectations in line with the investment.
I would suggest a good mid priced light, and one that you can repurpose in the future as you evolve. After all starting on a budget is much better than not starting at all.
For a straight up return on investment it will be hard to beat the refurbished R350, and it is petty easy to get at least 15% off.

2 Likes

5 gallon is a good all around size fabric pot for indoor grow also save a few bucks on soil. Might check 2nd hand equipment people upgrading. Welcome to the community good luck ! :+1:

5 Likes

My whole room is second hand equipment! Lol

2 Likes

Doesnt it suck when you got a hundred bucks to spend and somebody says buy something worth three hundred dollars.
Some don’t know the difference between “I don’t have the money” and “I won’t have the money”
I’m running a hundred-dollar blurple that’s why my plants suck and I can only flower one at a time. Looking like used equipment is the way to go for poorer folks.

2 Likes

Not that We don’t understand. Just kind of more like why? Why even try with a $70-100 light that’s only gonna frustrate you and discourage you from continuing? $70 light = $70 plant!
I’m growing with old ass single end bulbs!

2 Likes

100$ blurple or or only grow May to September, that’s why.
If it wasn’t borrowed I wouldnt be growing at all. It was free. I think some people may even be harder-up than I am, but it’s still fun.

4 Likes