Bud washing works?

Wondering if you guys wash your buds. Seen videos of ppl washing with lemon juice and backing soda. Does this matter?

First time reading this method. Typically read peroxide and water.

5 Likes

As an outdoor grower, HELL yes. Bug poop, mold, mildew, bug remains, eggs and dirt are very unappealing.

2 tubs- 1 with H2O2/H2O for washing and 1 with clean H20 for rinsing.

3 Likes

I wash too. 10 gal h2o with 32oz H2o2, then a 10 gal fresh water rinse.

Side note-wet trimming weed after the wash makes much slicker. No scissor hash.

5 Likes

Does washing increase the chance of mold during the hanging/drying process? I didn’t wash any this year, but I am thinking I’d like to do it in the future.
Don’t have an optimal drying area, just the garage/attic where it’s hard to regulate temp and humidity.

Thanks!

1 Like

After I wash, I lay my buds out on a towel and use fan to help remove water. I flip buds over every couple hours and after I am satisfied (about 6-8 hours) I hang up to dry.

1 Like

Here’s a link with photos of my wash setup.

The whole point of washing is to remove White Powdery Mildew, along with any environmental contaminants. I use the Jorge Cervantes method of 1 cup in 5 gallons, I use a bucket because it’s easier to submerge the plant material. 6 to 8 minutes.

I’ve read the lemon juice and baking soda trick and much prefer peroxide. The flower comes out smelling utterly incredible too.

But THIS is the reason: (one plant, indoors)

P2150021

4 Likes

Exactly why I wash all of my buds which are grown exclusively indoors.

I learned this from @Myfriendis410 last year when I was approaching my first harvest.

5 Likes

Can you imagine how my outdoor grow wash water looks like :nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face:.

2 Likes

Don’t make me think about that, I may become ill. LOL

1 Like

Do you find your cured flower stays ‘fresh’ longer? That has been my experience.

2 Likes

I don’t have any experience to compare to, I have washed all of my buds.

2 Likes

There are some people that argue peroxide washes remove terpenes. I know my leftover water certainly smells dank when I’m done.

It also turns the pistols orange/red.

Still, looking at the residue after that bath, I’m convinced the good outweighs the bad. Especially on outdoor harvests.

2 Likes

I washed my GG4 (first grow, indoors, 6 plants in a 4x4 tent). I had an issue with gnats. Using a loop, I saw a few gnats stuck to the trichomes. I used perioxide and 2 RO rinses. I hung them to dry across a line over the bathtub and used a fan to help dry for a few hours. That was 2.5 years ago and I have one ounce left (stored in a qt ball jar, a 62% rh pack, vacuum sealed and in the dark). It smells the same but the taste has diminished. I just finished making rosin from the 2nd remaining ounce and it is still potent. The taste from the rosin is still good.

1 Like