Bud washing which is better

The recipe I was given by a commercial grower…

5 gallon bucket 3/4 full water (no special water required)
1 cup hydrogen peroxide (brown bottle from corner store)
1/2 cup baking soda (not powder)
1/2 cup lemon juice
Dunk buds and swish them around, you want to dislodge dust and poop

Second 5 gallon bucket of water to rinse the buds before hanging to dry

2 Likes

One more thing I watched them when they mixed it up and never saw a measuring cup they poured everything from the bottle and box. So exact is not necessary

2 Likes

That recipe adds opposite reagents in the same solution. Lemon juice is an acid and baking soda is a alkaline. Also, they aren’t 1:1 stoichiometric by volume or weight.

Mechanical agitation will break off glandular trichomes and diminish the potency of the harvest. Notice how Jorge gently dips plants into the solution.

2 Likes

I didn’t make the recipe and swishing is not agitation. I can tell you that THC testing before and after washing was the same % and done by the state health department

3 Likes

You didn’t make the recipe, and I didn’t say you did or criticize you for it. I pointed out contradictory and potentially deleterious (to quality) advice that you shared. I’m not going to argue the semantics of the verb “swish” and whether or not it’s a synonym for agitation since that’s only going to increase my own agitation.

Take it easy.

@Growspain here are a few links to check out recipes are slightly different in each article but I’m sure that all of them will clean off your buds which is the plan

https://www.docbudsbrix.com/bud-washing

4 Likes

@MeEasy, all this residue, is this normal? I feel like I’ve done something wrong. :confused:

2 Likes

I don’t see anything abnormal. MJ is a wind pollinator this means buds are literally designed to catch pollin from the air so if they can catch something that fine everything is going to end up in there.

2 Likes

Thanks, I will wash my other one now. You’ve been a help. :blush:

1 Like

I believe we are all here with the same goal in mind. Share our knowledge and absorb others so we can all get better results from our hobby and have fun doing so.

3 Likes

I had a supposedly GG Auto here, but it’s not. ILGM send a stray one, just wish I knew what it was. Cut and washed today. I used lemon juice, peroxide and baking soda . Why not. As always they look wonderful after a bath

3 Likes

Don’t leave the fan on em for a long time just to get em back to where they were (blow the water off) then just keep the fan in the same room. Their smell will be less and color will change a little but when you smoke it you will be amazed at how smooth it will be. Hope you saved a couple buds out to compare them to

1 Like

They are in the drying room. Dehumidifier at 55%and 68F . Had to get the dripping water off the buds

2 Likes

I was wondering what the ratio of hydrogen peroxide baking soda and lemon juice you put in that 1 bucket

2 Likes

Lol, understand that I mixed a little of both of the washing “recipes” I had gathered from the internet. I figured it can’t hurt and the buds just went in jars last night, and they look and smell great. One recipe calls for a cup of Peroxide in 5 gals of water. I added that much, the same in lemon juice and about half a cup of soda. Next time I may just do the peroxide, although the lemon juice gives the solution a nice smell.

1 Like

I’ve tried a couple different scenarios

1. washing it in peroxide for 2 minutes, then washing with (1/4 cup baking soda+1/4cup lemon juice)[probably wasn’t enough] 2 minutes.
    I had noticed the smell Was still about as strong as before dipping. Not much came off plants.

2. Trying again with time longer 3 to 5 minutes Smell dissipated probably 30 to 50%
    More stuff Was coming off.

Now I’m about to try your method with all 3 combined
About 20 oz of hydrogen peroxide 3/4 cup baking soda Only had about 4 tablespoons of lemon juice

1 Like

5 gal buckets

1 Like

First time I washed I used Baking soda and lemon juice only, and from real lemons to boot, so I skimped on that as well, but all I had on hand. I remember all the junk floating in that bucket after the fact, so I was pleased… Let us know hoe you liked it.

1 Like

I just washed my plants with five gallons of water and 16 oz hydrogen peroxide, then a water rinse. It seemed to do a good job, lots of stuff in the first wash.

I tried to cut short enough to dunk the whole stem, then dipped them a couple of times with a gentle swish. Anecdotally, I smoked some before and after and they both definitely got me off. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Shouldn’t I use a third bucket as the second bucket cleans most off lol but I figure I should dump in a 3rd bucket to really clean

2 Likes