Bud washing which is better

I will need to wash my plants as they have to many bugs and dirt. I don’t whether to use baking soda and lemon or peroxide. I’d love some opinions and advice. Thanks guys

1 Like

Not sure of the best but I have read useing 1 cup of peroxide to 5 gal of water and drip dry. Hope this helps. Here’s a you tube video. There is a youtube video by jorge cerventes. There is also a discusion posted to day about the subject it is titled bud washing.

3 Likes

5 gallon bucket 3/4 water 1 cup peroxide 1/4 cup baking soda (not powder) 1/4 cup lemon juice

2nd 5 gallon bucket just water

Dip bud into bucket 1 swirling it around for 1 minute let as much drip off
Dip into bucket number 2 just a few seconds then hang dry like normal

5 Likes

Ahhhh, i can tell its fall and getting to outdoor harvest time lol. Just type in “bud washing” into the search bar and alot of info will pop up.

4 Likes

I have been washing mine with 1Tsp of baking soda and a similar amount of lime/lemon juice per gallon of water, maybe just a little more juice… Works well, buds come out clean. There are multiple ways to do this online and i don’t think you will go wrong with any of them. I happened to pick this one out of many, no particular reason.

2 Likes

Ready to cut and wash, heavy rain and winds forecast. I could only get 5.1 % peroxide not 3% I have 4 gallon tubs. I was think half a cup/125 ml to the 4 gallons. Any advice please.

2 Likes

calculate the best you can, this is not very scientific. A little too much will not hurt anything. All you are doing is getting the crap accumulated over the growing season off

2 Likes

The recipe I was given by a commercial grower…

5 gallon bucket 3/4 full water (no special water required)
1 cup hydrogen peroxide (brown bottle from corner store)
1/2 cup baking soda (not powder)
1/2 cup lemon juice
Dunk buds and swish them around, you want to dislodge dust and poop

Second 5 gallon bucket of water to rinse the buds before hanging to dry

2 Likes

One more thing I watched them when they mixed it up and never saw a measuring cup they poured everything from the bottle and box. So exact is not necessary

2 Likes

That recipe adds opposite reagents in the same solution. Lemon juice is an acid and baking soda is a alkaline. Also, they aren’t 1:1 stoichiometric by volume or weight.

Mechanical agitation will break off glandular trichomes and diminish the potency of the harvest. Notice how Jorge gently dips plants into the solution.

2 Likes

I didn’t make the recipe and swishing is not agitation. I can tell you that THC testing before and after washing was the same % and done by the state health department

3 Likes

You didn’t make the recipe, and I didn’t say you did or criticize you for it. I pointed out contradictory and potentially deleterious (to quality) advice that you shared. I’m not going to argue the semantics of the verb “swish” and whether or not it’s a synonym for agitation since that’s only going to increase my own agitation.

Take it easy.

@Growspain here are a few links to check out recipes are slightly different in each article but I’m sure that all of them will clean off your buds which is the plan

https://www.docbudsbrix.com/bud-washing

4 Likes

@MeEasy, all this residue, is this normal? I feel like I’ve done something wrong. :confused:

2 Likes

I don’t see anything abnormal. MJ is a wind pollinator this means buds are literally designed to catch pollin from the air so if they can catch something that fine everything is going to end up in there.

2 Likes

Thanks, I will wash my other one now. You’ve been a help. :blush:

1 Like

I believe we are all here with the same goal in mind. Share our knowledge and absorb others so we can all get better results from our hobby and have fun doing so.

3 Likes

I had a supposedly GG Auto here, but it’s not. ILGM send a stray one, just wish I knew what it was. Cut and washed today. I used lemon juice, peroxide and baking soda . Why not. As always they look wonderful after a bath

3 Likes

Don’t leave the fan on em for a long time just to get em back to where they were (blow the water off) then just keep the fan in the same room. Their smell will be less and color will change a little but when you smoke it you will be amazed at how smooth it will be. Hope you saved a couple buds out to compare them to

1 Like

They are in the drying room. Dehumidifier at 55%and 68F . Had to get the dripping water off the buds

2 Likes