Bud Washing, please clarify

First timer in here but been growing off and on outdoors since mid-70s. This topic of Bud Washing. My old grey Dead Head friends are strongly against in fear more of possible mold or difficulty in drying than of loss of resins, trichomes, etc. Some of the suggestions…peroxide…even baking soda/lemon juice mix (UK) seem on the edge. Not quite bleach (hahahah, sorry!), but washing with anything with plain old water if you’re going to do it seems extreme. Thoughts? Successes? Does the smoke quality really improve?

2 Likes

I’m new to this so I’m willing to try anything. I’ve read a LOT about bud washing so I tried it. Friends tell me it was the smoothest smoke they have had in years. Don’t know if that was the strain or the washing. But I’m doing it from now on. I mix a cup of hydrogen peroxide in 5 gallons of water and then rinse in a sink of clean water. Nothing rotted, no trichomes lost. Have fun!

3 Likes

There are some very informative vids on utube showing the process.

1 Like

Very instructive video. Have fun!

4 Likes

I have bud washed for three years. Most old school growers aren’t going to be into it. Probably a good idea for all outdoor grows in my opinion.

3 Likes

Google Jorge Cervantes on YouTube. He has a great video.
@Myfriendis410 is also great at budwashing
He can help.

2 Likes

Trichomes are not water soluble no way to loose resin glands without having aggressive agitation, and of course when you do your wash the trichs are still wet and have not started to oxidize so they haven’t started to get brittle yet, the wash up the quality in many ways

2 Likes

Thank you, one and all for the input! I followed the provided peroxide process with my first and smallest girl of the year, call me nervous, I guess! But the colas are drying nicely now and I’m anxious to see what we end up with in the next several weeks!

2 Likes

I can’t resist burying my face in the plant material after it comes out of the bud wash: it has the best aroma.

1 Like

Kinda like motor boating a plant? lol

3 Likes

You know; that’s a good analogy haha.

1 Like

Great video. thank you for sharing

I wash mine, no issues

Can I ask about the bud washing what’s that mean new to growing

@chase11969 watch the video above by Jorge.

Did you smoke any of the washed buds yet @SanDiegoCA?

Dude, SD here too. Wash and no worry. You get rid of all the bugs and worms and dirt. Vegetables you eat are washed this way. Unless you are into smoking bugs, worms, dirt, and other garbage wash away. I used a three wash process. Hydrogen Peroxide and water, then lemon juice & baking soda with water, and a final rinse of clean water. My GDP buds are drying nicely minus the detritus.

The stems look happier and cleaner after the wash, no loss of potency. I use a 3 tub technique. I add and additional tub of lemon juice and baking soda for more cleaning and antiseptic action with another tub of plain water instead of rinsing with the hose. Again for outdoor grows, I feel it’s a necessity. Search around, there are several techniques on line. It’s fun, have no fear.

3 Likes