Bud washing for organic harvest

hey community

im going to be harvesting in about 2 weeks and want to start preparing for it. I have gown outdoor everything completely organic and would love to get some ideas on how to bud wash. I have heard people use baking soda but idk how comfortable i am with smoking something ive rinsed with baking soda and water. does anyone one here grow organic and have a better idea of how to bud wash my outdoor harvest?

best

Alot of people use peroxide and water i dont know the ratios but they wash it peroxide and water mix then they rinse off with a hose on low then hang up in front of a fan for afew hours until the water is gone then they put in drying room

3 Likes

Ive seen a person use lemon juice and baking soda look on YouTube

1 Like

From another site:

WHAT YOU NEED

• Three large buckets capable of fully submerging your buds in water. Standard 10l plastic buckets should be sufficient.
  • Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
  • Lemon juice
  • Lukewarm water
  • Large spoon (for stirring)

PREPARATION

BUCKET 1:

Fill one of the three buckets with lukewarm water. Around 20°C is good. For every litre, add 2 teaspoons of baking soda and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. So, if you’re using a 10l bucket, add in 20 teaspoons of baking soda and the same amount of lemon juice. Using the spoon, stir for a bit to let everything dissolve.

The baking soda and lemon juice will produce a mild chemical reaction that breaks up stuff like dirt and other contaminants. Yet, it isn’t strong enough to dislodge trichomes.

BUCKET 2:

Fill this bucket with some lukewarm water. Again, about 20°C will be fine. We will use this bucket to rinse off the water from bucket 1.

BUCKET 3:

Fill bucket 3 with cold water only. This is our second rinsing bucket.

And that’s it! We now have a “washing bucket” (bucket 1) and two buckets for rinsing. We’re using two rinsing steps because we want to ensure all debris is cleaned off.

6 Likes

This does a great job and leaves zero residue. Been doing this for years.

15 Likes

Well after I found out 1 cup to 5 gallons of water and letting the stalk with buds soak a while then I take them outside to sake off the excess water I put them in the strainer and let them drip dry then into the drying fridge . My wife would go out and just pluck a bud off the palnt and eat it but after I washed a few stalks I showed her ALL the little dots and floaters in the water… YUCK Now I know she won’t be eating too many

6 Likes

h2o2 and water only

4 Likes

is the baking soda organic?

YES thats all we use.

1 Like

Not my process, so not sure. If there is such a thing, I assume that would be preferred.

what do you use?

Yep. They mine it all over the world…

3 Likes

First wash: H2O2 and H2O
Second Wash: Basing Soda and Lemon Juice in H2O
Third wash: This is the rinse H2O only.

Afterwards you will see a different dirt in each of the containers. The trichromes are not dissolved
by H2O2 Baking Soda, Lemon juice of H2O
When you see the stuff that washes off you will always want to clean your buds.

5 Likes

my concern was to smoke something that ive dipped in baking soda? im trying to keep my crop organic.

I take it you don’t eat baked goods. Cake, cookies, muffins anything you want to rise while it bakes. I do understand your concern with chemically derived basking soda. Virtually 100% of what my wife and I consume is certified organic. Check Bob’s Red Mill baking soda it is the mined ore. Our co-op also carries Frontier. I use the bud wash recipe I found on Spliff Seeds. It uses baking soda (raises pH for mold), then combo of peroxide and lemon juice, finally a plain water rinse. I do a lot of the rough trim while in the baking soda or peroxide baths. Buds turn out pristine.
Baking soda wash

Hang them up to drip dry

3 Likes

my concern was smoking baking soda but thanks for your input.

1 Like

I don’t use baking soda either. I use the same method listed in the “Cannibis Encyclopedia” one cup H202 per 4 gallons water in a 5 gallon bucket. H202 kills the mold. Hold buds under water for 5 minutes agitate them a few times, then lay out and lightly rinse and allow to dry. Then move into drying room

3 Likes

Given it is rinsed 2X I don’t know how much if any is left. I had a mold concern so washing with baking soda is an extra safeguard

4 Likes

Could add a 3rd, 4th, or 5th rinse as well. All it would do would be wash more of the bad stuff away, all the good stuff would stay.

3 Likes

Who’s dipping it in baking soda? You know how those “volcano” models work, right? Think that on a smaller scale, The soda mixed with lemon (who wants vinegar smelling weed) causes a reaction. This acts like a soap and cleans the bud.

This is good. I just swap the first two step. First with lemon/baking soda, then the peroxide. Gives me two chances to rinse all the baking soda off after I dipped them in it…

4 Likes