Bud Trimming Scissors

@MT3 and @Drinkslinger

Here you go. I tried to select some that showed how the trimmer works whether or not the bud is dense, has foxtails, etc.

From left to right:

Top from a Cindy 99 clone - you can see it left a lot of leaf on the bud. I probably should’ve broken it down more. Anyway I pulled this one because you can see that even with a branch that has multiple bud sites on it, it still did a decent job trimming it up.

That’s followed by a Gold Leaf bud - a little more density than the Cindy.

The middle one is a Blueberry Auto bud - that one I trimmed dry, but I didn’t spin them as aggressively as I do when they are wet.

Second from the right is Blackberry Kush - I also trimmed these dry.

And the last one is a Crystal Blue - I had a lot of foxtailing on these, and you can see, with a wet trim, the trimmer left the foxtail intact.

If I am gifting some flower to someone, I usually do a little manicuring before I package them up.

9 Likes

Having not trimmed before I have no reference of hand vs machine bu I think those look good. I bet they smoke just fine.

3 Likes

@Bogleg. I would not be shy to buy something as well manicured as that. Very nice indeed. :+1::v:

4 Likes

hate to bother u, but…
how long did it take u to scissor trim an oz and how long does it take now using the bowl trimmer and scissors to tidy up.?
just a guess man, this is not an IRS form.!!

Well when I harvested last winter I netted out around 13 ounces I think and I trimmed from 6am until midnight.

My last harvest was just over a pound and I did the whole thing in around 4. And then they are also jar ready when dried. When I hand trim I then also have to break down the branches after they are dried.

3 Likes

lets see if the internal calculator is working this morning…

Bogleg hand trimmed an oz in 1 hour 15 minutes (to be fair)

with the bowl trimmer it took 15 minutes per oz.

that is 1/5 of the time (or less) to finish buds, wow.!!

thank you for the info Bog.!!

2 Likes

To be fair, it’d be a bit more than 15 min if you consider the fact that each bud needs more manicuring (at least to be equal to the appearance of how I trim).
That being said. If it were another 15min of trimming /oz with the bowl trimmer, that’s still half the time. $150 might well be worth saving a full day of work every harvest.
Thank you bogleg!

5 Likes

@bogleg do you find the machine breaking a lot of Kief from the buds?

1 Like

Scissor hash ain’t bad. You could also evaporate your container of alcohol you dip them in, and get some there. I’m frugal lol!

3 Likes

I don’t have any scientific measurement to definitively say, but based on my personal experience I don’t think it does. My last harvest I hardly had any trim.

2 Likes

I don’t have any scientific measurement to definitively say, but based on my personal experience I don’t think it does. My last harvest I hardly had any trim.

I decided to purchase the bowl trimmer last year after my first “decent” harvest - that 18 hour day just flat out sucked and made me hate trimming… the grow after that I had sort of went overboard and had two full 4x4 tents inside and another 5 plants outside. The whole grow I was dreading the harvest… the bowl trimmer has totally changed that for me. Heh.

Nothing beats a hand trim, in my opinion… but I’m only growing this stuff for myself… other people only see if it if they come to the house or it’s someone close to me who I am going to gift it to (for example my uncle recently celebrated his 60th birthday, so I gifted him some within the boundaries of the state law). So… I figure for me personally if I can spend 5 or 6 hours trimming my harvest instead of 18, that gives me back a lot of time to clean the grow space, sanitize the reservoir and table, all that other stuff I have to do to get back up and running.

Or it just lets me get to play Fallout 76 for 12 hours instead. Heh.

3 Likes

Darn, I figure I’d sooner or later breakdown and buy one, but your review took away most of the mystery of the bowl trimmer. And I may be wrong, but I bet you (actually “I”) can get some good looking product once I learn the rhythm of the trimmer so to speak.

Still want a couple of good scissors, plus now, seek a bowl trimmer.

Your pictures would make any grower proud.

4 Likes

MT3 and whoever else is considering a bud trimmer, I found a few more pics from my last harvest. Here is an example of how it works on a plant that was basically just cut up into branches that would fit and then put in the trimmer.

Before:

After:

9 Likes

@ThcinKC doesn’t the bowl knock alot of Crystal’s off? Seems like a rough process.

1 Like

Sorry you answered this just saw it.

3 Likes