Bud Site Removal - How low do you go?

My question is how far down on the branch / stem should bud sites be removed? Background: They are 4 northern lights in a 3x3x7’. On 5/18 they were topped the second time. Over the next couple of days most of the growth was removed from the bottom 1/3 of the plant. On 6/1 went to 12/12. I have a Kind XL600 (300 watts) and 4 photo boost strips with 160 watts. On 6/4 again cleaned up bottom portion of plant. At that time the question about removing flower sites arose. Additional sites will develop during this transition and stretch period. I obviously do not want to be removing viable flowers and on the other hand do not want the plant to waste energy on poor buds.
This is #2 - 14"

Here is an example of an interior branch. It’s top bud (number 1) is even with the rest of the canopy Each successive site is also numbered. At this time I am thinking #5 can be removed . I am uncertain about removing #4 or #3. I realize I can remove more lower bud sites (along with obstructing leaves) over the next week or two with no more after week 3. I hate indecision so your help will be appreciated. @Hellraiser @MidwestGuy @Myfriendis410 @Covertgrower @blackthumbbetty and who ever else can help. Thanks

I attempt the lower 1/3 of the plant.

5 Likes

I’m in line with Covert. I stop going up when I get to buds that I see are going to have leaves that will get plenty of light, which is generally 4 - 5 nodes from the canopy.

3 Likes

Same here but I don’t remove until after transition.

1 Like

I just gave them their first dose of FF Trio nutrients. 50% rate. I hope I don’t burn them up. :sunny:

1 Like

A picture is worth a 1000 words, so

So this plant wont be going into flower til Aug most likely as its outdoor, but I believe the technique should be similar. As you can see, the lower part particularly the inside of the plant has been fairly stripped out. Soon the inside will be in the shade all the time. No point in buds or short branches being in there at all. Adds weight, uses nutes, sucks up water and is bad for good airflow. Also gives pests a place to BBQ and drink beer.

3 Likes

Removing bottom 1/3 is a good standard. I did way more as an experiment to see how it affected yield and wish I didn’t but we’ll see at harvest time (dry weight time actually).

2 Likes

@Hellraiser @Myfriendis410 @MidwestGuy @Cannabian @Covertgrower I don’t think I got to carried away

Red X is center of tent Not a lot of space left
This being my first photos interested in watching the transition to flower. Some may even being showing little pistils.

6 Likes

Looks really good. You’ve got some healthy girls there.

1 Like

Nice canopy, that’s gonna work out well for you.

@MidwestGuy @Hellraiser Thanks. Do I just let them do their thing over the next 10-14 days? Then in week three do the final thinning and removal of selected fan leaves and unproductive flower sites based on its growth at that time.

Pretty much, yes.

I’m somewhat aggressive with my plants. I continue to trim at least once a week until the stretch is over in week 4 or 5. I don’t take as many leaves off after week 2 or 3 though. I focus on keeping the center of the plant cleared out to promote airflow and light penetration.

3 Likes

I do a lot of bottom trimming/cleanup weekly and while I’m moving the girls to the screen in late veg, hard to get at after the screen is up so I get the bottoms pretty clean as part of the process of putting them in the screen. Then weekly cleanups of little branches and large fans blocking bud sites. Then 2nd and 3rd week of flowering I defoliate any large leaves left.

2 Likes

Since you have a pretty thick and full canopy, I would strip all the larfy bud sites and a few of the under leaves right away. You really dont want the popcorn buds to get any plant attention at this stage. And yes, again in a few weeks be more selective. My thing is to reduce shock by selectively doing crap bud sites first, then later remove any offending sun leaves.

3 Likes