Bud rot? Buds turning brown and crumbling!

Tips of Northern Light buds turning brown and dying. They just crumble to dust. I’ve cut away all of what I can see to be affected. I’ve read it’s likely bud rot but I’ve always thought that would be more “moldy” looking. Just don’t want it spreading to other plants so close to harvest. Any thoughts?

Strain = Northern Lights Auto
Lights = 24 hour, 16"
Temp = 25C
Humidity = 48%
Day 60 from seedling
Watering with PH’d water only until harvest (6.4)

@Deepsix @Capt.Cola @Coen3440 @Covertgrower @Eagles009 @AutoMattik @Mark0427 @Hellraiser @Newolhead

2 Likes

Sorry man. Looks like rot to me. That sux

3 Likes

Just make sure you have really good air circulation and keep your eyes peeled. If you notice more then kill all the air movement whenever you cut it off to prevent spores from spreading everywhere.

7 Likes

And plan on doing a bud wash at harvest.

5 Likes

These guys have you covered. Shouldnt he do a diluted peroxide spray now?

@Myfriendis410
@imSICKkid
@Mark0427

Edit: I have some white fuzzy mold that rears its head on one out of every ten-fifteen plants or so even though they are all exposed to the same conditions. Best I have been able to determine is it’s early stage bud rot…I spray the crud out of them with 5050 peroxide / water solution and it kills the mold and gets me to harvest… I would wait for confirmation on this but it works for me

5 Likes

I’ve never had bud rot so I’m not sure about spraying anything.

3 Likes

That’s great info… I’m not very patient so I went ahead and just sprayed with 50/50 peroxide and water. Sprayed all three of my plants in the tent. Hopefully that will get me to harvest and I’ll do bud wash prior to drying.

And I never saw any indications of rot outside of the bud tips turning brown. No white spots or mold-looking areas anywhere.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m not 100% sure what I get is bud rot. But I’m sure it’s not WPM and I read bud rot starts as white and pictures match up. So I’m going with that assumption. I check my plants almost daily so I think I just catch it early. Either way peroxide knocks that crap out.

Edit: don’t fret if your pistils all turn brown, peroxide can do that IME, doesn’t seem to cause any harm though and if rot is the alternative…

2 Likes

10 4. And read that early harvest is better than rotten one. Thinking I may cut them down sooner rather than later. Here’s latest pics of my trichs on the Northern Lights Auto and Amnesia Haze Auto. Both at day 60 from seedling and about 40 days since flowering started.

Northern Lights

Amnesia Haze

4 Likes

I fully agree with early being better than rotten. And I would fully understand you going that route. In my limited experience a good dousing in peroxide and then ensuring good air circulation will buy you the time you need. I would check them really really well everyday and continue on to whatever harvest condition / timeframe you were originally after.

Make sure your looking at trichs on the calyxes and not sugar leaves.

3 Likes

Yeah, I check them multiple times a day. And pretty sure I’m looking at the calyxes. First pictures I got after receiving my microscope had majority amber trichs. Realized those were sugar leaves. Since then I’ve been careful to just get the buds themselves. I’ll continue to monitor them now that I’ve doused with peroxide and increased air flow. Hopefully I can make it another 5 days or so for trichs to develop where I want them.

Any experience with bud washing after harvest?

2 Likes

Yup, early on I was told to bud wash even though I grow indoors. After I saw all the oily crap that came off I wash them all. You can Google jorge Cervantes bud wash. I use stronger concentration than him. Not measured just whatever I pour in. But definitely stronger than what he does. I wash them vigorously. Not a gentle process for me here.

2 Likes

Nice. That’s similar to the process I was planning on using. Do you use the H2O2 like Jorge? I’ve seen others using lemon juice and baking soda. And I’ve seen the more vigorous washing in other videos too. Planning on agitating them a bit in the solution.

2 Likes

I use the h2o2 just more of it per gallon/ whatever amount of water he shows I forget.

I put one gallon jugs (quarter filled) on the branches to hold them under the solution for 3-5 minutes. Then let them up and agitate a lot. Then to the rinse station for water rinse and more agitation. Then a shake before hang for fan dry. More shaking and rotating through this fan dry process. Then into the dry tent.

4 Likes

Good stuff. Thanks for all the insight!

2 Likes

My pleasure!

1 Like

I do know from hearing GG speak on it is that a good early indicator of bud rot will be the sugar leafs in the area will flip over and twist up. And then the bud will feel more mushy then normal.

2 Likes

Man that really sucks! Happened to me this summer. Mine was inside the bud more then on the top. I cut out what I saw and harvested early and still ended up trowing the whole thing away. It’ stinks but it happens and is a part a growing. That’s the way I look at it. Hope you could save some.

2 Likes

I do bud was super similar to how u do but i just hold the branches down under the water for a bit by hand lol. Or my wife does the washing while i am doing other stuff. Works out great so far.

2 Likes

I’m sold looking at all the nastiness floating in the wash water afterward.

1 Like