Bud Rot A Growers Nightmare 👿

I was able to successfully harvest my Skunk and Kush without major damage, I removed a small amount of rot, 2 weeks earlier, I didn’t see anymore, obviously I missed some, it’s terrible and it will destroy your grow, any preventative measures during the grow season?

2 Likes

@Nip. Sorry brother. Can’t like that.
A lacto bacillus mix spray will help but not 100% sure on concentration.
Safe to spray till just before harvest.

Got a feeling there’s going to be a few cases of bud rot this year. :man_facepalming::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
:v::pray:

2 Likes

Thanks I appreciate it, we had a lot of rain at one time, and it was hot and humid, everything was going great until then, I noticed a couple of spots I pulled off, obviously it spreads like wildfire, I managed to harvest without loseing too much

1 Like

One of the most insidious things to ever attack a plant.
Once it starts it’s near impossible to get ahead of for very long. Back in days. :v:

3 Likes

I’m learning a few things on here, thanks to my expert Growers here, I’m going to space my plant’s out so they can get better air flow, I have to conceal my grow makes it hard to space them out, I’m going to get a early start during the off season, finding better locations to grow

1 Like

learned about it the hard way on my first ever grow of WW Autos. Like you I caught it early and saved about 60%. I am in the southeast, hot and humid all summer. I just finished 2 Gorilla Glue Autos and one yet to go. I am growing in a greenhouse with little control of moisture. I have a dehumidifier running next to the plants, and most importantly, set up a fan blowing on them 24/7 once they flowered and showed buds. it is a mini storm on them, and so far I have seen no rot.

3 Likes

Same here Brother, I’m in the South, been a scorcher this year, plus the Humidity, I have to conceal my grow I feel like I need to space mine out more, the three I had out front had better air flow. the one’s back more into the trees had less, not any rot on the one’s up front, also I think the Indicas are more prone to rot because there so heavy and dense

1 Like

It looks very similar to the damage caused by caterpillars to my autos. Or, at least that is what I am attributing my losses to. They kill parts of the bud and when that part of the bud dies it rots and expands to affect more of the bud. As soon as I saw any brown or leaves in the bud that didn’t look right I would inspect and remove any of the damage. One plant was harvested early, cleaned up and washed and just through it in the freezer. May not even be worth that amount effort. I have one left. It isn’t quite ready but I may have to pull it too. Next season - full insect netting and a thorough spray regime.
However, in the end I am not absolutely sure if the end result is because of the earlier caterpillar damage or plain old bud rot.
Hope you can save most of it.

2 Likes

Yes I saved it, they were ready for harvest, do you think Heavy Dense Indica plants are more prone to Rot, my Amnesia Haze plant’s are fine and they were in the same area

4 Likes

Possibly. Indica generally has a more dense bud than a high sativa hybrid like Amnesia Haze. However, my autos are Jack Herer which also has a high amount of sativa in it.

1 Like

@beardless Well we go through pests, mold and fungus, nutrient problems, The bottom line is to be prepared! I started my plant’s early using Humboldt Flower Shield and Captain Jack’s, even then I still had a minor stink bug problem and the Bud Rot, I’m wanting to say because I never seen any caterpillars, and didn’t when I bud washed them

I wish I knew (not that it matters anymore) if my caterpillars and bud rot issue are related or not. More for the future, there is next season to try again. I like the way the grow outside. Anyway, time to finish putting the tent back together and get my AK seedlings settled in.

1 Like

@Nip ILGM has a filter for mold resistant strains (you may have already seen it). I have the same issue with a hot and very humid environment. I am going to pick from this list for next year-

https://shop.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/collections/feminized-seeds/climate-mold-resistant

2 Likes

I hate that for you @Nip the weather outside has not been in our favor this year. high humidity and too much rain. Good that you was able to salvage the majority. This year reminds me of the year I built my house I swept water off the subfloor everyday till I got it dryed in.

1 Like

What is the buds turn brown is that bud rot?

2 Likes

One thing that didn’t help me was airflow, I planted to close I’ll spred out better next time , hopefully you can get rid of those caterpillars

I’m still trying to decide what strain I’m growing next March, mold and pest resistance is definitely the way to go, I was looking good until the rain and humidity arrived, I need to space my plant’s out better next year

1 Like

I didn’t lose but a small amount, definitely could have been worse, they were ready and they smoke really good, they will make you sleep like a baby :baby: I need to space my plant’s out next grow so they can get better airflow will help,

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a type of Mold that will destroy your Buds, and it spreads fast, usually results in a early harvest, sometimes it can be stopped if you’re lucky

3 Likes