Bud quantity and quality with longer vegetative phase

I am uncertain as to the timing of germinating indoors and transplanting the plants outdoors given the light and darkness balance necessary for flowering in my locale. The seeds that I have are 50-55 (Sat/Ind: 80/20) and 60-67 (Sat/Ind: 20/80) days to harvest. I found a daylight duration table on line which tells me that the 12 hour balance point for flowering comes in the last week of September here in Washington state. So if I germinate them earlier rather than later, giving them a longer vegetative period, will the plants have improved bud quantity and/or quality? Or is there a sweet spot as to the length of the vegetative state. the expected days to harvest; and the quality and quantity of the product. Thanks.

Longer veg means larger plants bigger root systems therefore the answer is yes and yes

3 Likes

Wont have better bud quality in the sense of smoke? But buds fatter and more of them.

2 Likes

The longer the veg the bigger the plant. The bigger the plant the bigger the buds? (hopefully)
I start my outdoor grow inside at the beginning of Feb since 12/12 starts to happen in my specific location sometime in early August instead of late September because of shading that is beyond my control. I’ve just adapted my grow to accommodate for the early onset of diminished full sun.

2 Likes

In colder climates @garrigan62 suggested counting back 12 weeks from your average first frost to determine when they need to start flowering to finish before temps become low enough to cause damage. I don’t know how cold it gets in WA state, but I think it’s a great general point of advice that applies to everyone north of the mason dixon line.

1 Like

Actually if you were to thin your lady before she flowers it makes for a larger than normal root system and bigger roots bigger fruits

4 Likes

Defoliation 2 weeks before flower, and then one week into flower, if done right, can produce a cola(s) that goes from the top to the bottom. However, any trimming on an outdoor grow can have its pitfalls. The plant uses its leaves for protection in the outdoor environment.

1 Like

Washington, normally, is a temperate climate. This last year they are seeing some extended and frigid winter weather. But, overall, WA is about as easy of a State to live in, weather wise, as you can get. The problem with outdoor grows in WA is the rain! I still have webbed toes from living there, and I have been gone for 5 years now. :smiley:

5 Likes

Yeah fog and rain in Maine in Oct can cause a bit of mental duress for me and my local outdoor cultivators.

I hear these guys getting all tweaked out over 2-3 days of rain. “BUT BUT The forecast said it would end today”

But like @Hawkeye_diesel says from time to time " it’s just life".
The sun will return. The rain will evaporate. The bud gods will smile their fortunes down on us all once again.

2 Likes

Lol you’d hate me then I thinned my poor ladies by 50% today in advance of flower I don’t mind you cut fan leaves mostly limbs

2 Likes

Many thanks to all of you for your very helpful responses in my first year of marijuana farming. Based on those responses, I’m germinating this week and will let you know how it goes. I’m located in Walla Walla which is east of the Cascades, so it’s a much drier and hotter climate than the west side. We grow terrific wine grapes with our climate and with the loess and alluvial soils here, so marijuana should perform well.
Thanks again!

1 Like

I wouldn’t hate you at all. I strip my ladies by much more than 50% to expose bud sites to light. Popcorn is not what I want. I wan colas the size of my arm!

4 Likes