Bruce Autos - First Time Grower

What are your up potting plans? I don’t like how the pods work. I’d say they need larger containers so they can get to the business of growing.

2 Likes

I wasted no time planting straight to coco just like this our first time.

Yours looks like you removed the outer shell?

I think they need to be put in larger pots. Then start your circle watering practices.

2 Likes

@Fieldofdreams - I was going to move up to 5gals, soon, but I balked when they started to look rough. Would you say, go ahead and move up to 5gals and let them really go crazy!?

1 Like

They are due/overdue for a transplant, and my guess is that they are hungry.

When I used p4p, I didn’t remove the netting when transplanting, but I’ve seen many other types of growers suggest to remove the netting; I don’t know how that might go, i.e. as far as it being messy/hard on the roots, since they might be trying to poke out of the netting by now … maybe others can provide some input on that.

3 Likes

Did not use the p4p egg this time, two small tuperware containers and two clear plastic half cups that fits nice.

2 Likes

When I used them, I always removed the netting because the roots have a hard time growing through it. The netting isnt as biodegradable as they claim. I now use Root Riot cubes. It has no netting.

3 Likes

I made the mistake of cutting the netting at the top. When it expanded, it pushed some coco over the edge. Its there for a reason.

1 Like

I removed the netting before transplant if no roots coming out of it.

1 Like

We lost that seed, it germinated,but didnt finish pulling its head out. We cut the p4p egg netting before. All of the seeds came through the netting in 12 hrs after breaking through… no issues on jiffy pellets

Yeah, and with roots maybe coming out of @NewbieWazowski 's netting, it might be tricky.

I keep seeing that from other growers. At the time when I used p4p, I wasn’t on the forum for the most part, so I followed the p4p instructions. After I harvested my plants, the netting was still intact and not degraded, lol.

Correct, many growers here use them, those and Rapid Rooters.

Yeah, my guess is that the peat would tumble out about, especially when there isn’t a sufficient root system in place.

How long can a new root from the pellet be exposed? Please and thanks

I would not let it be exposed to light very long. Light will start deteriorating the root. I would get it in its new home soon.

1 Like

Thank you, will take of asap.

1 Like

I would slightly water the pod to help the peat stay together. Go ahead and get your forever pot ready with the medium you’re going to use. Go ahead and dig you a spot for the plant in pot, about 3” deep or about 1/4”-1/2” taller than the jiffy pod. Carefully cut fabric off root ball. Start at top where the fabric opening is, with sharp scissor gently around the fabric, start at top, then down the side, then the bottom, then up other side to opening. Medium around root ball may fall apart that’s why I dig hole first and cut over the hole so I can try to transplant the plant and the pods “medium only” . Once transplanted plant may need support, brace if needed. Then water new pod medium as need after transplant.

2 Likes

Excellent - I will make sure this happens today! Do you have any recommendation as to when in the light cycle I should transplant? Should I wait until dark to transplant and make the shock a little easier or can I tackle this during light hours?

2 Likes

Good question, but I’m not sure, lol - others can answer better. When I used p4p, I transplanted at my convenience, but there might be a better time. Nowadays, I put my seeds into their forever pots.

2 Likes

Its not necessary.

3 Likes

Does really matter. But I do mine at beginning of light on cycle. Water good and let the light do the rest. But will work either way, just make sure you water directly after if needed and should if new pot and medium.

1 Like