Brown spots, yellowing bottom leaves

Hi all,
This is my second grow, I noticed some leaf discoloration (yellowing leaves on bottom, dark spots on some leaves, and upper leaves turning light green) and was wondering what the problems could be. For the yellowing, I think it is most likely nitrogen deficiency as it is starting on the lower leaves, the other discolorations I don’t really know. All i can think of is heat because it gets fairly hot (85 max for a few mins when fan is at end of off cycle)

However, the last grow, i did not use any ferts and the crop turned out great so I am slightly doubtful that it is nitrogen def. Also, the soil it is in now is .3% N, .1% phosphate. .1% potash which is fairly high for nute values.

any advice. comments would be great!

Thanks

This is my second grow, I noticed some leaf discoloration (yellowing leaves on bottom, dark spots on some leaves, and upper leaves turning light green) and was wondering what the problems could be. For the yellowing, I think it is most likely nitrogen deficiency as it is starting on the lower leaves, the other discolorations I don’t really know. All i can think of is heat because it gets fairly hot (85 max for a few mins when fan is at end of off cycle)

However, the last grow, i did not use any ferts and the crop turned out great so I am slightly doubtful that it is nitrogen def. Also, the soil it is in now is .3% N, .1% phosphate. .1% potash which is fairly high for nute values.

any advice. comments would be great!

Thanks

truly fruity strain

Soil

pH 6

no fert so far

Indoor

5 cfl,

Temps; 75,75-80, may peak at 85 for a short while

Humidity; 60%

Ventilation system; fan. 30 mins on, 30 mins off.

What brand is the soil? This could be a cal mag issue.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response,

The soil brand is Kellogg’s garden organics.type is: all natural planting mix

I think @Stomper is right calmag is your problem. Also I see your ph is at 6 … is that going in or run off? If going in I think that’s a little low and maybe why you have a calmag problem.
Maybe a little nitrogen deficiency as well

using pH 7 water going in. water coming out is slightly above 6.

Also, by cal/mag problem, do you mean deficiency or too much

1 Like

Deficiency yes sorry. I think if drop your ph to like 6.5 going in your plant would take in more calmag from the nutes your already giving it rather than add extra calmag. Plants take in certain nutes best at certain ph levels. I’ll try and find my chart and post it for you, or maybe some one else will before I can find it.

2 Likes

Awesome! thanks a lot.

I’ll look into cal/mag and try changing my pH values.

1 Like

What nutes are you useing? And also look into a flush. I’m a big believer in flushing my plants before adding anything. Just maintain proper ph at all times. Do you use a digital Ph meter? If not also look into it. I’m trying to get you spend money but this little hobby does cost a few dollars. A digital Ph meter makes you life so simple it’s crazy and your plants will thank you with the buds of your dreams trust me. I tell everyone that you monitor ph like a porole officer. It is the single biggest threat to your plant. After that environment. (Light ,soil, ventilation, nutes.)
Learn to control ph and you learn to control your plants whole world.

2 Likes

im not using any nutes, just relying on the high nute soil so far. I have a crappy little color changer pH tester lol, so I’ll go out and buy an electronic one tomorrow. I assume the water going in is 7 pH because i just buy gallon jugs as my tap water is hard and chlorine-rich. I usually flush about once every 3 weeks (twice this grow.)

1 Like

Not to be overly dramatic but my plants would be dead if I was still using the drops to test pH. I got a midline digital and it has been priceless.

2 Likes

Agree 100% but I definitely saw what you described with the transplant I didn’t know to flush and got a blockage.
BUT

I have had situations where there is buildup but ph is correct. Then you flush.
Have you seen that?

1 Like

@Fever yes see it all the time. That’s why I say flush by the chart. It’s gonna build up no matter what.

Can I get an AMEM!!!

2 Likes

I want using foxfarm

Both times:
Once with Advanced nutes
Once with dynagrow

I only usd ff once and that was for an outdoor grow. Never measured runoff and never flushed but harvesting next week

1 Like

@omar I was buying water too when I first started, wanted my Girl to have the best. I’m not telling you to stop do what you want. But I let tap water sit out 3-4 days to release chlorine and I swear my plants love it so much more. And now that I use 15-20 gallons a week, well I can’t pay for water anymore. I am looking into a RO system for my self , but that’s a little ways off for me.

Post some pics of your harvest I love seeing the outdoor grows the plants get so big it’s awesome.

1 Like

Moved her indoors but this is the big auto

3 Likes

ok cool, I didn’t know you could let it sit out. I may try that as I expand. right now i get 3 gallons for a dollar so Im not complaining lol. Also, the pH on my tap water is about 5.5 and its fairly hard, its not very good water.

1 Like

it couldn’t hurt to add some rhino skin or silica blast just in case it’s the beginning of a potassium deficiency just my two cents

1 Like

Adding silica to soil will most likely cause other problems, trust me i did it .

1 Like